whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Nice find. Maybe they can offer an update that can let us access overboost more seamlessly than under launch control, as I know has been mention on the forums here.
Porsche doesn’t lock out ICE turbos for launch control only, so locking EV overboost is not even consistent with their other products. The only reason I can think of is they couldn’t or wouldn’t (due to costs perhaps) engineer overboost for reliable repeated performance. I bet locking it down under LC cuts its usage 100x or more (for me infinite since I never use LC, but my accelerator does hit the floor multiple times per drive).

I did receive a free 100hp, 1 second 0-60mph as a software upgrade improvement for free from Tesla once. It wasn't tied to LC. Sadly I don’t see Porsche doing it.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Me: bought the Turbo S for the power; have never launch controlled it. Go figure!

It is nice though to see a widening deviation between the Turbo and Turbo S variants – considering the much more capable front inverter on the Turbo S.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Me: bought the Turbo S for the power; has never launch controlled it. Go figure!
Why did you choose Turbo S then? Outside of LC Turbo has the same power. What I was shopping, my fairly loaded configuration was still yielding $30K difference between Turbo and Turbo S (US market). It was the primary reason for me choosing Turbo. The others were I didn't want ceramic brakes (need warmup for optimum performance, given recuperation normal driving leaves them cold, plus they are very expensive to replace should they get dinged up in gravel mode type driving) or powered charge port (blocks the air scarf flow).

It is nice though to see a widening deviation between the Turbo and Turbo S variants – considering the much more capable front inverter on the Turbo S.
It's only widening in a usecase which you (or I, or most people) never use. It might as well be "if GPS detects you are at Nürburgring track, your Turbo S gets a power boost over Turbo, same elsewhere". Then Porsche marketing can claim Turbo S superiority over Turbo on track, but execs can sleep soundly knowing very few cars will ever come back as a warranty claim due to the Nürburgring boost.

Fantasmos

First Name
Hristo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I wonder why they didn't link the overboost to the button in the middle of the Sport Chrono wheel the same way it's working on ICE cars - for limited amount of time. Most probably they don't want people to use it too often allowing the battery to cool down or something like that. Enabling it for LC only they pretty much disable the need to limit the number of times you press that imaginary button or to get into situation where the needed power cannot be delivered thus causing liability.

This said, if EVs in general weren't with 0 tax where I live, would be pissed off to have to pay extra tax on overboost horse power which I can use only on LC...

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wonder why they didn't link the overboost to the button in the middle of the Sport Chrono wheel the same way it's working on ICE cars - for limited amount of time. Most probably they don't want people to use it too often allowing the battery to cool down or something like that. Enabling it for LC only they pretty much disable the need to limit the number of times you press that imaginary button or to get into situation where the needed power cannot be delivered thus causing liability.
Why do we need a button? My wife's eTron has overboost available any time the accelerator drops low enough while in sport mode, limited to some time duration and frequency of use. This makes total sense. The only reason I can think of Porsche not doing it is their bean-counters are scared shitless of the battery damage overboost might cause (resulting in warranty claims) if allowed to be used daily.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I think you're right.
Also, by limiting it to LC, they avoid being criticised (maybe even sued, for example for an overtaking accident) when the car fails to deliver the expected extra power every time the driver tries to call on it.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you're right.
Also, by limiting it to LC, they avoid being criticised (maybe even sued, for example for an overtaking accident) when the car fails to deliver the expected extra power every time the driver tries to call on it.
Neh, overboost is always qualified with "depends on battery temperature, state of charge, age, etc, etc". It's by definition not guaranteed even in Porsche LC (park your Taycan at -10C, then power it up and enable LC and see if you get full power, I bet you won't even get full non-LC power). Tesla and Audi solve it very easily (other probably too, just mentioning the two brands I've owned), they show you on the instrument cluster what your power limit is at a particular time. Tesla does not delineate overboost, they just show you total power available, Audi shows you total power but splits it into regular and overboost regions, with the overboost range only available in Sport mode. This problem has been solved, Porsche just refused to do it, which makes me think their design is shaky and they are scared to use use it. Or maybe there was some old marketing geezer somewhere saying "we cannot let Taycan Turbo S beat a 911 Turbo S on the track" - raw power can overcome handling deficiencies and weight, hence Tesla Model S Plaid beat the Porsche Taycan Turbo S around the Nürburgring.

JIP1080

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Porsche made this change after understanding in-use customer behavior of their first EV in more detail and also after the ongoing testing that Porsche has always done to constantly improve their products.
Translation - We've realized a bunch of hoons bought TS's 😜

They've made it a second quicker to 150
Or in my area "they've made it a full second quicker to jail and a suspended license"

Fantasmos

First Name
Hristo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I had the chance to speak with a number of people on a relatively high positions in the VAG group and I was really astonished how obsolete and old their way of thinking was. I am sure for the majority of decision makers things like the infotainment are still just supplements and extras and it's ok to put important configs 3 levels deep and the UX to be of a German WW2 airplane. Think about it - Carplay was launched 10 years ago and it looks and feels better than any german infotainment system... And this extends to the whole OTA update thing. They are doing it just to put a check on the comparison table with Tesla. An epic feature is to them one less reason for you to buy the next model. Honestly, the Tesla S was driving is the only vehicle that got better with the time...yet. Really hope Porsche steps up their game and starts releasing some meaningful updates including overboost on kickdown, etc. and less "weather app improvements".
Sponsored