rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had the chance to speak with a number of people on a relatively high positions in the VAG group and I was really astonished how obsolete and old their way of thinking was. I am sure for the majority of decision makers things like the infotainment are still just supplements and extras and it's ok to put important configs 3 levels deep and the UX to be of a German WW2 airplane. Think about it - Carplay was launched 10 years ago and it looks and feels better than any german infotainment system... And this extends to the whole OTA update thing. They are doing it just to put a check on the comparison table with Tesla. An epic feature is to them one less reason for you to buy the next model. Honestly, the Tesla S was driving is the only vehicle that got better with the time...yet. Really hope Porsche steps up their game and starts releasing some meaningful updates including overboost on kickdown, etc. and less "weather app improvements".
I disagree. The idrive from BMW is very good
Sponsored

Fantasmos

First Name
Hristo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Well, they are not part of VAG. Nevertheless, I drive an I3s often as a company car for errands and the interface, phone application and the overall UX feels like an old Android phone.

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
Unpopulair opinion… but..

I’m a software developer myself, and it isn’t really that bad with PCM. Yeah OTA is a joke, but everything else is fine. I’m glad it is not a toy interface like Teslas or a complicated interface from other brands. Some settings are hard to find, but really how often do we need those. Lets not forget, it is a car, not a gadget.

JIP1080

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Unpopulair opinion… but..

I’m a software developer myself, and it isn’t really that bad with PCM. Yeah OTA is a joke, but everything else is fine. I’m glad it is not a toy interface like Teslas or a complicated interface from other brands. Some settings are hard to find, but really how often do we need those. Lets not forget, it is a car, not a gadget.
As another software engineer (turned engineering manager), I'd agree with you. I use Android Auto for maps and audio, but I've found the PCM relatively easy to navigate once I got through the learning curve. With my old GMC AA and CP took over the entire infotainment screen and I lost quick access to other functions. I like how the standard PCM menu and AA/CP integrate in a way which allows me to quickly access things like the chassis hight settings without needing to first exit to a home screen (which occasionally disabled AA in the GMC until I opened it up again... If the stars were so aligned). From the reports in the forum I expected to wait a full 0-60 launch between button press and action, but it's been fast enough to barely get to 30 most times 😜 (reality - I have zero complaints regarding action lag time). The layout of all the various options I've gotten used to, again no complaints.

Now, if there was an option to upgrade from surround view potatoes to actual cameras I'd be kicking and shoving to get ahead in the line. I'm glad I had years of mirror + turn-and-look when backing up driving because it's a harrowing experience backing into the garage each time.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Why did you choose Turbo S then?
I had a 4S and wanted "Turbo" level power. When I ticked all my options it brought me up close to Turbo S pricing. So I jumped to a more "lightly optioned" Turbo S – and enjoy the cosmetic value the carbon ceramic discs bring along.

In my market the expensive options I wanted (like remote parking, 22kW AC, etc) are cheaper on the Turbo S than the Turbo – which brought the price within about €12k.

Also, I got "looked after" by Porsche on this purchase because I was on – at the time – my forth 22kW AC charger – and they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't fault again. I'd been left stranded abroad a few times with it.

P0R5HE_UK

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo - Genti Blue (Sold), GTS - Ice Grey (Q1 23)
Country flag
I had a 4S and wanted "Turbo" level power. When I ticked all my options it brought me up close to Turbo S pricing. So I jumped to a more "lightly optioned" Turbo S – and enjoy the cosmetic value the carbon ceramic discs bring along.

In my market the expensive options I wanted (like remote parking, 22kW AC, etc) are cheaper on the Turbo S than the Turbo – which brought the price within about €12k.

Also, I got "looked after" by Porsche on this purchase because I was on – at the time – my forth 22kW AC charger – and they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't fault again. I'd been left stranded abroad a few times with it.
Interesting. As far as I am aware, the 22kW A/C has little or no value in the UK. We don't see high power / 3-phase AC. So, in my case I added the (relatively cheap) option of an enhanced DC charger but didn't bother with the (expensive) AC upgrade. Do you get to use the AC upgrade often? I suppose you may have 3-phase where you park?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Interesting. As far as I am aware, the 22kW A/C has little or no value in the UK. We don't see high power / 3-phase AC. So, in my case I added the (relatively cheap) option of an enhanced DC charger but didn't bother with the (expensive) AC upgrade. Do you get to use the AC upgrade often? I suppose you may have 3-phase where you park?
In Ireland we have 1000's of public 22 kW AC chargers in every small and rural village across the country. They can be very handy and get a lot of use when having lunch, touring around or visiting people. With a matching 22 kW charger in the car – I often get to a full charge within two or three hours.

I also live in a large apartment complex which delivers 3-phase power to our homes. It tends to be very country specific, but here in Ireland – 22 kW gets a lot of use. It's one of my favourite things about my configuration.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
I think there was no "major 23" update and they have no clue why the accelleration of the car was better. It's also comparing apples and oranges how they compare...
Sponsored