Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Country flag
The fastest electric car from Zuffenhausen

January 2, 2024

Porsche development driver Lars Kern has outdone himself at the Nürburgring: driving a pre-series Taycan, he posted a lap time of 7:07.55 minutes on the Nordschleife. This official lap time is a whopping 26 seconds faster than he was on his last record drive, in a Taycan Turbo S Sport sedan equipped with the performance package back in August 2022.

“Twenty-six seconds is half an eternity in motorsport. Lars’ lap time of 7:07.55 minutes on the Nordschleife is sensational, putting the Taycan in the same league as electric hypercars,” says head of the model line, Kevin Giek. “And the impressive thing about it is that over several laps, Lars clocked almost exactly the same time.”

“I pushed as hard as I could, but that was really all I could do,” says Kern. The Nürburgring-Nordschleife was at the exclusive disposal of the experienced racer for the day of fast laps. For safety reasons, the test car was equipped with the legally prescribed roll cage, along with racing bucket seats. Compared to the 2022 record in a Taycan Turbo S, the times were significantly better: the pre-series car was a good 25 km/h faster heading into the Schwedenkreuz. To illustrate the difference further, by the time Kern crossed the finish line near Grandstand 13 (T13) this time, he would have only just been passing the entrance to the Nordschleife, about to enter the Antoniusbuche section, during his record drive in the Taycan Turbo S in 2022. This put the distance between the pre-series Taycan and the current Turbo S at more than 1.3 kilometres – a figure that illustrates the leap in performance achieved on the 20.8 km course in Germany’s Eifel region. An onboard video of the complete lap will be published in mid-March.

Porsche Taycan "Pre-series Taycan" prototype (presumably Turbo GT model-to-come) beats Turbo S around Nurburgring by 26 seconds (and Model S Plaid by 18 sec)! 0164_1

Porsche Taycan "Pre-series Taycan" prototype (presumably Turbo GT model-to-come) beats Turbo S around Nurburgring by 26 seconds (and Model S Plaid by 18 sec)! 0224_1

Porsche Taycan "Pre-series Taycan" prototype (presumably Turbo GT model-to-come) beats Turbo S around Nurburgring by 26 seconds (and Model S Plaid by 18 sec)! 0157_1

Porsche Taycan "Pre-series Taycan" prototype (presumably Turbo GT model-to-come) beats Turbo S around Nurburgring by 26 seconds (and Model S Plaid by 18 sec)! DSC00770

Porsche Taycan "Pre-series Taycan" prototype (presumably Turbo GT model-to-come) beats Turbo S around Nurburgring by 26 seconds (and Model S Plaid by 18 sec)! 0233_1

Last edited:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
The Porsche UK landing page now plays a short clip and links to all the materials above in the Porsche Newsroom.

Last edited:

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
It's hard to tell from that edited clip but I did not see any body roll from that car at any point. Very impressive.
Gotta love the arms race! 💸💸💸

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
I need those headlights, they look awesome. Hope there will be a retrofit for first gen Taycans

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
While looking at the video and pausing at the interior shot I see a boost button on the steering wheel, it is coming! And seems like heater/airco controls are still touch based..

Hawk

First Name
Addy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc C55 AMG, Audi Q7
Country flag
I need those headlights, they look awesome. Hope there will be a retrofit for first gen Taycans
Likely will need a full bumper/front replacement.. Maybe hood. Kinda like the lights we have now still

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
The fastest electric car from Zuffenhausen

January 2, 2024

Porsche development driver Lars Kern has outdone himself at the Nürburgring: driving a pre-series Taycan, he posted a lap time of 7:07.55 minutes on the Nordschleife. This official lap time is a whopping 26 seconds faster than he was on his last record drive, in a Taycan Turbo S Sport sedan equipped with the performance package back in August 2022.

“Twenty-six seconds is half an eternity in motorsport. Lars’ lap time of 7:07.55 minutes on the Nordschleife is sensational, putting the Taycan in the same league as electric hypercars,” says head of the model line, Kevin Giek. “And the impressive thing about it is that over several laps, Lars clocked almost exactly the same time.”

“I pushed as hard as I could, but that was really all I could do,” says Kern. The Nürburgring-Nordschleife was at the exclusive disposal of the experienced racer for the day of fast laps. For safety reasons, the test car was equipped with the legally prescribed roll cage, along with racing bucket seats. Compared to the 2022 record in a Taycan Turbo S, the times were significantly better: the pre-series car was a good 25 km/h faster heading into the Schwedenkreuz. To illustrate the difference further, by the time Kern crossed the finish line near Grandstand 13 (T13) this time, he would have only just been passing the entrance to the Nordschleife, about to enter the Antoniusbuche section, during his record drive in the Taycan Turbo S in 2022. This put the distance between the pre-series Taycan and the current Turbo S at more than 1.3 kilometres – a figure that illustrates the leap in performance achieved on the 20.8 km course in Germany’s Eifel region. An onboard video of the complete lap will be published in mid-March.

0164_1.jpeg

0224_1.jpeg

0157_1.jpeg

DSC00770.jpeg

0233_1.jpeg
I just wanna see a few data points from the "new" Taycan for this sort of "record":
  • top speed higher - I think they must for this sort of lap
  • battery temps - and was there any limiting - if they've upped their game on cooling big step forward for stamina
    • the current gen Taycan is kinda a 2 lap wonder for "the ring" - can't get much more than 2 laps before it's overheated the battery
  • good job beating the plaid - but price divergence needs to be considered - plaid fits traditional "value" for "money" of american muscle car vs. the europeans
  • was that diesel generators I saw in the background for fast charging? wonder why they didn't use the supercharger right at the ring - Eifel-Ardennen-Straße, 53520 Nürburg, Germany
  • charging taper curve - wondering if it's flatter deeper into SOC
  • regen - wonder if there is higher regen on the new model
  • aero shaped suspension bits for the new Taycan stolen from the 911 GT3 RS - that would be fun!
  • understand the charging regiment for this type of effort
as noted by others I love me some competition - this is what pushes things forward - love it!

7.07.xx is a great time puts this thing right up there in terms of performance cars - a 7.07.xx in top trim Taycan is going to be way more comfortable DD vs. the stuff that surrounds it on the leader board

keep in mind folks this is a 5 passenger sports sedan that you can actually drive to/from the grocery store vs. _ALL_ the stuff surrounding it on the leader board which are 2 seater dedicated sports cars that really aren't that comfortable to drive - 7.07.xx for a sports sedan with full creature comforts vs. the stripped down super cars surround it is just mind boggling…nothing in that part of the leader board is remotely "normal" in terms of sedan like vehicle.

Last edited:

unbiased

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Country flag
Very impressive, just wondering how the Rimac was only 2 seconds faster. Comparatively disappointing time from the Rimac.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
While looking at the video and pausing at the interior shot I see a boost button on the steering wheel, it is coming! And seems like heater/airco controls are still touch based..
I'd missed that, but now I see the 2nd podule next to the Sport Chrono dial. The boost button is usually in the centre of that dial, so I wonder whether the 2nd item has another function (e.g. brake balance or power split?).

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Reactions: Art