First Name
huseyin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S+
Country flag
hi everyone,

i need your thoughts about my 21" tyre traction problem. After temperatures fell down about 0'-10' degree celcius my tyres start to slip over taurmac or similar surfaces. For example after starting slowly tyre is making some weird noises and feel like driving on a bumpy road. this happes only full left or full righ turns. After getting on road at normal speeds no problem, car is perfect when driving. I talked with dealership but their answer didnt satisfied me. I am wondering if any of you experienced similar things with summer tyres on cold surfaces.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
That is quite common for any car with summer tyres in cold weather. And especially low profile tyres like the 21 inch. The tyres get too hard and start skipping when turning .
If the temperature is around freezing that is pretty cold for the summer tyres.

I experience the same on Pirelli, Michelin and Good Year tyres, all low profile.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Summer tires become dangerous when temperatures comes close to zero...

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Summer tires become dangerous when temperatures comes close to zero...
I wouldn't say that summer tires become dangerous when it is cold. It is true that with snowfall winter tyres perform better but in the dry it perfectly fine to use summer tires. The "weird noises" disappear when the tires get warmer ( and even summer tires get warmer when driving)

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I wouldn't say that summer tires become dangerous when it is cold. It is true that with snowfall winter tyres perform better but in the dry it perfectly fine to use summer tires. The "weird noises" disappear when the tires get warmer ( and even summer tires get warmer when driving)
AFAIK, it's not just noise. Materials of summer tires behaves different in cold... also, surface of roads in winter time are more slippery, especially if they are not dry. and moister roads could become frozen one.... that's why I wrote that they are dangerous.

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
AFAIK, it's not just noise. Materials of summer tires behaves different in cold... also, surface of roads in winter time are more slippery, especially if they are not dry. and moister roads could become frozen one.... that's why I wrote that they are dangerous.
I think it depends where you live. I drive the whole year in the Netherlands with summer tyres and never had any bad experience nor sudden grip loss ( while I am driving faster than the average person). Roads are great here btw.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Of course. it depends on overall weather conditions, different quality of roads...but below (or close to) zero means - freezing area all over the world....

OP
OP

hsyntml

First Name
huseyin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S+
Country flag
this is happening only when full right or left turn, and doesnt matter its sport (awd ) or normal (rwd ) mode. i am using tyres around 40 psi.

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
I would also say that summer tyres can get dangerous in around freezing depending on the weather. If you live in an environment like that reaches freezing and below you really want the right tyres.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61