Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
It is a hardware, I used to think I’d need that. But the reality of my type of driving is I would never want to charge at 22kw AC. I’ll just head to the 50kw DC.
Sponsored

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I thought this was a hardware upgrade to the car?
Yes it is hardware and is currently only available when you spec a new car.
But would be nice if a hardware upgrade will be available later on.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I wonder if Porsche will make it possible to upgrade to the 22 kW after taking delivery of the car?
unlikely - has to be ordered with the vehicle.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I wonder what kind of supply does it require?

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
In March Porsche is coming out with a 19.2kW charger for the AC side what will be hooked up directly to a 100 AMP breaker.

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Ask yourself: does it need to be charged in 4 hours and doesn't do anything for the rest of the 8 hours?
I can fully charge my car when I start at 20% and leave after 8 hours at 7km/min (which is 24 mls/hr).

Taycan can only charge at 11kW for now.
They were planning 22kW for MY2021 but never heard about it since.
that’s a paid option. I decided not to go for it, as I would be charging either at home with 11kw (3 phase ac) or fast charger (50kwh+dc)

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In March Porsche is coming out with a 19.2kW charger for the AC side what will be hooked up directly to a 100 AMP breaker.
Oh that is interesting – I have ordered the 22 kWH charger in my Taycan. Though, I think my apartment block is only delivering a 63A circuit to my underground parking space.

Do you happen to have any links/info on this – so I can perhaps start planning for it?

My apartment distribution board – think this means I have 1 phase 63A supply
Porsche Taycan 22KW charging IMG_6251

Last edited:

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I got this information from my Dealer who got it from the call with Porsche corporate when they announced the new model Taycan.

He said it would be the same design as the existing 9.2kW charger but of course, being 19.2kW and requiring 100 AMPS, means the wires need to be hardwired in the back.

I believe this is correct because it corresponds to the Tesla charger I used to have that was also, something like 19.2kW, and it too got hard wired with a 100 AMP circuit.

I believe, at least you could with the Tesla, wire it with something less than 100 AMPS, but you would also get less than 19.2kW.

Porsche said this charger would be available on the website in March when you order a new car, and my dealer didn't see any reason why parts couldn't get it. He said it would be approximately 20% more than it would be if you ordered it with your car. He thought that price would be around $2,000,

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Do you have any details on this? My build locks on Tuesday & I'm still on the fence about the 22kW onboard charger.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you have any details on this? My build locks on Tuesday & I'm still on the fence about the 22kW onboard charger.
I got this information from my Dealer who got it from the call with Porsche corporate when they announced the new model Taycan.

He said it would be the same design as the existing 9.2kW charger but of course, being 19.2kW and requiring 100 AMPS, means the wires need to be hardwired in the back.

Porsche said this charger would be available on the website in March when you order a new car, and my dealer didn't see any reason why parts couldn't get it. He said it would be approximately 20% more than it would be if you ordered it with your car. He thought that price would be around $2,000,

Hope this helps.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wonder is this maybe a US version of the free charger (was free at time of ordering; costs more now) that is coming with my vehicle. I always assumed the 22 kWH requires 3-phase power - wonder if thats true?

https://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&ba=Taycan&ma=PCGB (RL)&sp=1&bt=J1&mo=Taycan 4S&co=40&ac=product&pr=418E4BE0C59AF682C125856E00280F43

Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 19.23.37.png

edit: On closer inspection yes, the 22kWH charging does require 3-phase power.
Not correct, look at the bottom right, a part number for single phase.

I think this is it, now available in Europe.

dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I removed the 22kW charger from my order. I do think it requires 100 amps and needs hardwiring, and this may not even be possible in some older homes.

The faster charging speed initially sounded nice, but the majority of the time the car will charge back to 85% over night when I have much more than 4 hours available to charge. Add to the fact that Level 2 chargers are appearing at workplaces, shopping centers, etc and fast chargers are available which can deliver up to 85% in 20 minutes...I just don’t see the need for 4 hour charging at home. Especially since most of the time I’d be topping it up frequently. Slower charging is typically better for long term battery health too.

I also changed my mind on the PMCC and the dock after visiting this forum. You can get other EVSEs that have excellent reviews for half the price. Some of those have a track record of delivering 22kW if you do decide to go with the onboard charger upgrade.
Sponsored