Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I had to drive on Friday afternoon from Bolton to Witney in Oxfordshire. As any Brit Friday pm M6 warrior knows this is a grim journey especially in holiday season. Hypermiling was effectively enforced by heavy traffic.

So instead of booting it on the very few occasions I could I just cruised to the next congested section.

Conditions were perfect. Warm, not too hot and no rain.
My car is 2022 GTS with the non aero 21 inch RS Spyders. Far from the best Taycan spec for range.

So a balance to perfect conditions.

Porsche Taycan 300 miles. DONT say it can’t be done! (2022 Taycan GTS) IMG_4204

At the start
Couldn’t get it to 100%
I have been pottering around as you can see from predicted range.

After 33% 120 miles

Porsche Taycan 300 miles. DONT say it can’t be done! (2022 Taycan GTS) IMG_4220

Destination

Porsche Taycan 300 miles. DONT say it can’t be done! (2022 Taycan GTS) IMG_4223

171.1 miles only 50% battery used (apparently) 142 range.

Please excuse me for not driving around aimlessly for another 129 miles just to prove a point.

I am not saying it is easy, practical or possible very often to achieve 300 miles range. Just that it is definitely and unequivocally NOT impossible as has been declared on this forum.
When stuck in traffic and not able to ‘Drive it like you stole it’ it’s actually fun to challenge yourself. Driving hyper economically is a skill. Try it!?

Porsche Taycan 300 miles. DONT say it can’t be done! (2022 Taycan GTS) IMG_4221

Last edited by a moderator:

RSouthern

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS and several others and 2 MCs
Country flag
wow, that's fantastic to see! I'm also an owner of a 2022 GTS with the RS wheels and have had the car exactly 1 week as of today, I've put about 300 miles on it but not on a single charge, I do level 1 at home and have done 150kW charging twice, so I'm really just learning the nature of this car. It's good to see that 300 is possible! The best I have managed so far was 260 yesterday so there's definitely some opportunity to stretch this legs a little further. I did notice that the dealer delivered my car with the rear tires about 10psi low, which I fixed yesterday before the drive, so maybe others are running a little low on their tires if they are struggling to get max range?

SThurlow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had to drive on Friday afternoon from Bolton to Witney in Oxfordshire. As any Brit Friday pm M6 warrior knows this is a grim journey especially in holiday season. Hypermiling was effectively enforced by heavy traffic.

So instead of booting it on the very few occasions I could I just cruised to the next congested section.

My car is 2022 GTS with the non aero 21 inch RS Spyders. Far from the best Taycan spec for range.

IMG_4204.jpeg

At the start
Couldn’t get it to 100%

After 33% 120 miles

IMG_4220.jpeg

Destination

IMG_4223.jpeg

Please excuse me for not driving around aimlessly for another 129 miles just to prove a point.

I am not saying it is easy, practical or possible very often to achieve 300 miles range. Just that it is definitely and unequivocally NOT impossible as has been declared on this forum.
When stuck in traffic and not able to ‘Drive it like you stole it’ it’s actually fun to challenge yourself. Driving hyper economically is a skill. Try it!?

IMG_4221.jpeg
Fine. It can be done. But is that how you really want to drive this magnificant car? :)

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Given what I have achieved on the 4S CT, I am confident that I could get 300 miles or slightly better if that was my goal. I consistently get 275-280 while having a bit of fun.

Good on Porsche for efficient aero which makes this all possible inside the skin of a sporty car 👍👌👊

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

IMG_4204.jpeg

At the start
Couldn’t get it to 100%

After 33% 120 miles

IMG_4220.jpeg

Destination

IMG_4223.jpeg

IMG_4221.jpeg
What brand of tires are you running? Are you using the recommended PSI?

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
What brand of tires are you running? Are you using the recommended PSI?
I should have said. I knew someone would ask😀. Even took photos!
Pirelli P Zero NFO original fit.
Still on the original tyres. 11,000 miles on car 4-5 MM tread left on front. 3-4 MM on the rear.
Started with
2.6 bar front
2.7 bar rear.
Exactly what door sticker says
Porsche Taycan 300 miles. DONT say it can’t be done! (2022 Taycan GTS) IMG_4203
Porsche Taycan 300 miles. DONT say it can’t be done! (2022 Taycan GTS) IMG_4206

As you can see, within 2 miles of start they were 2.7 and 2.8 so slightly over to optimise range.

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Fine. It can be done. But is that how you really want to drive this magnificant car? :)
Completely agree. I don’t want to drive it this way. Only when I am forced to potter do I make it more interesting by doing a range challenge.
It is also useful to be able to know just how far you can get in an emergency such as to reach that charger.
This was mostly my view. No point tailgating, flashing and getting annoyed.
Porsche Taycan 300 miles. DONT say it can’t be done! (2022 Taycan GTS) IMG_4211

SThurlow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Completely agree. I don’t want to drive it this way. Only when I am forced to potter do I make it more interesting by doing a range challenge.
It is also useful to be able to know just how far you can get in an emergency such as to reach that charger.
This was mostly my view. No point tailgating, flashing and getting annoyed.
IMG_4211.jpeg
On a recent trip from Seattle to Kelowna BC, I had this for about half the journey ...

Porsche Taycan 300 miles. DONT say it can’t be done! (2022 Taycan GTS) Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 12.56.34 PM

And then finally got rewarded with this ...

Porsche Taycan 300 miles. DONT say it can’t be done! (2022 Taycan GTS) Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 12.59.33 PM

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
On a recent trip from Seattle to Kelowna BC, I had this for about half the journey ...

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 12.56.34 PM.png

And then finally got rewarded with this ...

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 12.59.33 PM.png
My return journey started at 8am Sunday morning with a traffic free 40 mile drive across the the Cotswolds. I went from 84% to 17%, so 67% instead of 50% and took 3.5 hrs instead of 4.5.
No hypermiling then!

offplan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S , bicycle , my own feet
Country flag
Good stuff.
I’ve noticed that when I charge to 100, I do get 500km Range on the guess-o-meter. However, the range starts to drop after the battery reaches below 40% and the total driven KM possible ends up at 450km. Anyone, think this is a battery fault or just the way the guess-o-meter works

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Driving hyper economically is a skill. Try it!?
When I first had a car with a built in trip computer, a Rover Vitesse in around 1982, I used to be tempted to try and maximise whatever parameter was displayed (I was young and daft).
If it was average speed it got quite hairy, but when it was fuel consumption I learned a lot about the efficiency of various styles of driving.

The aero drag reduction in a string of cars running at the same speed is the one which surprised me by its magnitude, but made me think of a graphic I had seen with the drag contribution of the carriages of a train, only the front and rear carriages have significant drag.

I agree, one may as well benefit from it when traffic is heavy, getting wound up is counterproductive.

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
I understand this reduction depends on the shape of the vehicle you follow, but let's say it's a SUV, how close/far should you stay if you want to avoid the turbulence generated by that vehicle ?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I understand this reduction depends on the shape of the vehicle you follow, but let's say it's a SUV, how close/far should you stay if you want to avoid the turbulence generated by that vehicle ?
I haven’t attempted to measure the change in effect with distance but I studied physics at school and earned a living in vehicle performance so I am not stupid or ignorant enough to tailgate another vehicle :)
The closest I get is probably 2 to 3 car lengths behind and this has a noticable influence on energy consumption, be it petrol or electric, IME.

I would expect a SUV or Transit to have bigger effect than a car but then you can’t see far ahead through its windows so I don’t like driving behind big visibility restricting vehicles - which is a lot of them these days.

I first noticed how big the effect was on a long busy journey looking at the fuel consumption display when in a stream of cars.

DJ-UK

First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ex-iPace, Taycan RWD '23 lots of extra's.
Country flag
Good stuff.
I’ve noticed that when I charge to 100, I do get 500km Range on the guess-o-meter. However, the range starts to drop after the battery reaches below 40% and the total driven KM possible ends up at 450km. Anyone, think this is a battery fault or just the way the guess-o-meter works
Is this one trip? I get the opposite, the range starts off a little pessimistic and then always beats its original estimate. Not by much, I am always impressed by how accurate it is. I had an iPace before, the GOM was terrible, and always ended up with less range than predicted.
Sponsored