tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have only been to Naples once but it didn’t seem much different to Rome traffic to me!
I was for me. Took me about 10 minutes to enter the correct mental state to adapt. My wife, as my co-pilot , understood immediately the logic: You go and everyone's balls will decide who gets to pass. Show indecision and you'll be roadkill.

Just for reference, the moment I drove off the Car Rental Parking lot, there was a roundabout about 150m down the road. I accelerated to the 50km/h legal limit when I suddenly was overtaken on my left by a Volkswagen Golf and on my right by a Vespa Moppet. At the same time and both were doing at least 90!. Then both drivers merged at high speed in front of me just before the roundabout and I watched how the Golf Guy was swearing at the Vespa guy (who had a kid as back passenger), the Vespa guy was trying to kick in the passenger door of the Golf and the Golf was swearing right trying to send the vespa into the ditch.

All I managed to say to my wife was: "Maybe renting a car was a mistake..." 😂

In the end, I actually appreciated the experience. They're aggressive but one of the parties will back out at the last minute and 10 seconds later the event is forgotten. It ends looking like a strange ballet but it somehow works.

Here we are generally much more tolerant while driving but once a driver is pissed off, they will not forget.

The other day I entered a roundabout and some BMW guy entered from the right and turned right. I gave a quick, very short, tap on my horn just to make him aware "Buddy, careful with that turn, I'm here".

Never thought about it again until two hours later, near a supermarket, a guy taps on my window and starts swearing at me why I'd honked him in the roundabout.

DUDE... are you for real? You searched me for two whole hours just to tell me you felt offended by my "awareness" honk?

Not worth it. I prefer the Italian style. If we were in Naples, the BMW driver would pull a middle finger and call my late mom some words and move on with life after 2 seconds.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Had a chance to test the top speed in my RWD PB+ safely (no pic though) and it topped out at 143 just like the performance figures Porsche publishes. It did not have any change as the speed increased to 143, but just stopped going faster. I am sure it is software limited to keep the RWD slower than the 4s, but felt like it could easily have gone faster.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I was for me. Took me about 10 minutes to enter the correct mental state to adapt. My wife, as my co-pilot , understood immediately the logic: You go and everyone's balls will decide who gets to pass. Show indecision and you'll be roadkill.

Just for reference, the moment I drove off the Car Rental Parking lot, there was a roundabout about 150m down the road. I accelerated to the 50km/h legal limit when I suddenly was overtaken on my left by a Volkswagen Golf and on my right by a Vespa Moppet. At the same time and both were doing at least 90!. Then both drivers merged at high speed in front of me just before the roundabout and I watched how the Golf Guy was swearing at the Vespa guy (who had a kid as back passenger), the Vespa guy was trying to kick in the passenger door of the Golf and the Golf was swearing right trying to send the vespa into the ditch.

All I managed to say to my wife was: "Maybe renting a car was a mistake..." 😂

In the end, I actually appreciated the experience. They're aggressive but one of the parties will back out at the last minute and 10 seconds later the event is forgotten. It ends looking like a strange ballet but it somehow works.

Here we are generally much more tolerant while driving but once a driver is pissed off, they will not forget.

The other day I entered a roundabout and some BMW guy entered from the right and turned right. I gave a quick, very short, tap on my horn just to make him aware "Buddy, careful with that turn, I'm here".

Never thought about it again until two hours later, near a supermarket, a guy taps on my window and starts swearing at me why I'd honked him in the roundabout.

DUDE... are you for real? You searched me for two whole hours just to tell me you felt offended by my "awareness" honk?

Not worth it. I prefer the Italian style. If we were in Naples, the BMW driver would pull a middle finger and call my late mom some words and move on with life after 2 seconds.
But what you didn't know was that the Vespa couple left a horse head in the Golf driver's bed that night . . .

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting discussion to follow.
I'm originally from the UK (was banned for 6 months in my 20's for points accumulated). Lived in France, Germany, New Zealand, Japan. Driven cars/ridden bikes in many other countries; S. America, Africa, India, China, Australia etc.
It amazes me the vast differences to perceptions of safety, speed, car maintenance, enforcement, punishment. Some of which has been discussed here. I completely agree that Germany is on one end of the spectrum in terms of road quality, car up-keep, lane discipline and also enforcement.

Not really a badge of honor, but I keep a binder of all the tickets I've had - it's a thick binder and from all over the world.

The most efficient I had was riding a motorcycle from Germany to Belgium. Was flagged 2 kms over the border by a motorcycle police and guided straight to a van parked in a service area. Handed over my credit card and paid the 185 euro fine on the spot. A very pleasant experience and clearly a tax on Germans ;) (hard to mentally slow down from 2 hours at over 150 mph)

Peru and Morocco rank as the most inefficient/arbitrary/corrupt for me. Ended up just paying in US dollars a negotiated fee.

The US (where I now live) ranks low for discipline in my book, but also people are fairly predictable and more or less travel at similar speeds. I did some really fast runs during Covid lockdown.
- 1,000 miles on a Ducati Multistrada in just over 12 hours!
- 165mph in a Maserati

But also here I feel that enforcement and punishment are comparatively light. For example, I was pulled over for doing 118mph (in a fake 55 mph) a few weeks ago. It was 5:30am, good weather and an unmarked cop was clearly baiting me - but fair enough, too fast!
I paid $750 to a lawyer. He made a deal with the prosecutor to drop the speeding charge in exchange for me pleading guilty to the reckless driving. $50 fine and 4 points!
Clearly my insurance will take a hit, but seriously what type of dis-incentive is a $50 fine for going over twice the limit. Legal system here is clearly in favor of those that can pay for laywers.

(I've been up to 145 mph in my 4S. Definitely had more in it - I probably shouldn't try for a whole though)

Ho hum.

Be safe everyone.

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Not worth it. I prefer the Italian style.
I've never driven myself in Italy, but my experience in a south Italian town (smaller than Naples) was: Streets were so tight enclosed by house walls, that drivers honked before approaching an intersection for awareness, and many cars were covered by dents, all over them.

And I'm not talking bent fenders like the dilapidated cars in the US, I'm talking otherwise fairly in shape cars that somehow had tiny dents just about everywhere, as if they'd been repeatedly hit by golf balls...

It was quite a contrast to both Germany and the US.

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Clearly that guy was an idiot not worth your breath, but this made me wonder if "awareness" honks are a thing in Portugal?

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The US (where I now live) ranks low for discipline in my book, but also people are fairly predictable and more or less travel at similar speeds. I did some really fast runs during Covid lockdown.
In my limited experience (10 years of all parts of California, some Nevada), things vary a lot, though. Yes, overall, it's nowhere near Germany.

But even locally, say in the Bay Area, the difference between, for example, the 280 and 880 freeways in the Bay Area, is quite substantial.

On 280 there's still no lane discipline whatsoever (that's just a US thing), but people are overall very relaxed. They are quite fast (280 has a bit of a reputation of being a "race track", but no one's actually racing each other), but predictable and pretty chill. It's pleasant. I get a bit annoyed when someone forgets their turn signal maybe.

On 880, turn signals are a sign of weakness, their car is a weapon, and only the insane survive.

OP
OP
Tighlines

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Interesting discussion to follow.
I'm originally from the UK (was banned for 6 months in my 20's for points accumulated). Lived in France, Germany, New Zealand, Japan. Driven cars/ridden bikes in many other countries; S. America, Africa, India, China, Australia etc.
It amazes me the vast differences to perceptions of safety, speed, car maintenance, enforcement, punishment. Some of which has been discussed here. I completely agree that Germany is on one end of the spectrum in terms of road quality, car up-keep, lane discipline and also enforcement.

Not really a badge of honor, but I keep a binder of all the tickets I've had - it's a thick binder and from all over the world.

The most efficient I had was riding a motorcycle from Germany to Belgium. Was flagged 2 kms over the border by a motorcycle police and guided straight to a van parked in a service area. Handed over my credit card and paid the 185 euro fine on the spot. A very pleasant experience and clearly a tax on Germans ;) (hard to mentally slow down from 2 hours at over 150 mph)

Peru and Morocco rank as the most inefficient/arbitrary/corrupt for me. Ended up just paying in US dollars a negotiated fee.

- 1,000 miles on a Ducati Multistrada in just over 12 hours!
- 165mph in a Maserati

But also here I feel that enforcement and punishment are comparatively light. For example, I was pulled over for doing 118mph (in a fake 55 mph) a few weeks ago. It was 5:30am, good weather and an unmarked cop was clearly baiting me - but fair enough, too fast!
I paid $750 to a lawyer. He made a deal with the prosecutor to drop the speeding charge in exchange for me pleading guilty to the reckless driving. $50 fine and 4 points!
Clearly my insurance will take a hit, but seriously what type of dis-incentive is a $50 fine for going over twice the limit. Legal system here is clearly in favor of those that can pay for laywers.

(I've been up to 145 mph in my 4S. Definitely had more in it - I probably shouldn't try for a whole though)

Ho hum.

Be safe everyone.
Good to hear another perspective from another speed freak.
I've been pulled over numerous times in various central American countries and its a bribe 100% of the time. A little sketchy at first but when you come to expect it, it can be a quite comical exchange, negotiating the bribe usually between $50-100.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Clearly that guy was an idiot not worth your breath, but this made me wonder if "awareness" honks are a thing in Portugal?
In Lisbon yeah, they honk for anything. Here down in the south... Eh. I very very rarely honk unless impeding impact from someone backing up into me for example.

I had the car for just a few days, was overly careful and just 'blipped'. Maybe I wouldn't have blipped now but regardless... Searching me for a couple of hours just to tell me "I was in my lane. No reason to honk"... That's not how roundabouts work but I just smiled and wished him a great day.

He walked away ranting for another 3 or 4 minutes.

PetroK

First Name
Petro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX, Porsche Taycan 4CT
Country flag
In Switzerland they have fines for speeding tickets based on your income :)