First Name
Killian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 turbo and cayenne turbo
Country flag
Hi - looking opinions advice etc please

looking at running one of these as a company car. The 4s I would spec would be roughly 100k where as the turbo wouldn’t be much over standard at 117k. With similar deposits the monthly pcp are roughly the same, obviously due to the higher gfv of the turbo being more.

so which to go for? Writing back in to accounts after 4 years the turbo will obviously be higher, but not that much.
Anyone else been through this?
The extra spec on the 4s seems to cost a lot up front with obviously less residual value - or maybe im over simplying it
Sponsored

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag

looking at running one of these as a company car. The 4s I would spec would be roughly 100k where as the turbo wouldn’t be much over standard at 117k. With similar deposits the monthly pcp are roughly the same, obviously due to the higher gfv of the turbo being more.

so which to go for? Writing back in to accounts after 4 years the turbo will obviously be higher, but not that much.
The extra spec on the 4s seems to cost a lot up front with obviously less residual value - or maybe im over simplying it
PCP, you never own it. HP you do, worth a look as when you work it all out with future possible sale of the car it works out better if you have the cash flow to run the HP. Lloyds Bank gave me an amazing deal (2%) that moved me from cash buying to HP. Made perfect sense.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag

I'm in the US so some of the tax treatment is different but I'm going through the same thing & I went through this before with my Macan (ended up with the Turbo). It really boils down to options & comparing standard features. If you are adding items that are standard on the turbo to your 4S build, that closes the gap. And even the packages (premium & performance) are more expensive on the S. Premium because leather is standard on the turbo, performance because PTV is standard on the turbo.

My rule of thumb has been that if your options push you to within 10k of the next trim level's base price, you should eat the difference and get the next one up because you'll get it back on the back end unless you keep it a very long time.

In US pricing, I'm looking at a 4S build just under $140k, which is fat. Identical equipment on the turbo is $170k. I'll probably end up cutting a few things & do a turbo in the mid-160s but still undecided. The Taycan is amazing but the pricing is really high. I'm having a hard time with the idea of paying GT3 money for it but I need four seats.

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Have you driven both? Will help to make your mind up :cool:

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you driven both? Will help to make your mind up :cool:
I haven't driven the Turbo yet because my dealer only has two 4Ses outside & a $210k Turbo S in the showroom. But I know the deal - the 4S is about as fast as my Macan Turbo, which has the older 3.6L (no replacement for displacement!), a tune, and an exhaust. The Turbo is melt-your-face-off fast. I don't need to drive it to know I'd rather have the Turbo. ‍:like:

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
I haven't driven the Turbo yet because my dealer only has two 4Ses outside & a $210k Turbo S in the showroom. But I know the deal - the 4S is about as fast as my Macan Turbo, which has the older 3.6L (no replacement for displacement!), a tune, and an exhaust. The Turbo is melt-your-face-off fast. I don't need to drive it to know I'd rather have the Turbo. ‍:like:
Not necessarily. I drove both one after the other and chose the 4S as had enough beans for my day to day use. Sounds like you want the Turbo so you should go for it buddy :D

OP
OP

Kilsoj

First Name
Killian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 turbo and cayenne turbo
Country flag
I haven’t driven the turbo yet, test drove the 4s and was very impressed with it, and for what I will be using the car for it is more than fast enough. I have a 911 turbo and cayenne turbo, and it is faster or as fast as both of them.

I have looked at buying it out right, and have the cash flow to do it, but the gfv makes me feel more comfortable - a lot can change in 3 or 4 years

What I am wondering about is the “must have” spec in the 4s which are supposed to increase the gfv but from what I can see don’t. And that in respect is the turbo “better value”

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I would test drive them and see if you can use the extra power. I usually am in favor of more power, but the 4S is pretty darn quick.

zelement

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Panamera 4S. 19 Cayenne S
Country flag
I have the 4S and to be honest, I was expecting a little more... I only test drove the Turbo and that was almost too fast so my expectations were pretty high for the 4S.

I would say it's about the same as my 971 Panamera 4S in the 1/4 mile. It's fine for a daily but if you want speed, you gotta go for the Turbo or the Turbo S.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
This all depends a lot on what you're used to. To me the 4S is definitely fast enough. Keep in mind that the 4S will probably feel faster than a "just as quick" traditional car due to the instant torque.

I think that for a launch control showoff one could use the Turbo power. But that's literally the only situation where I've felt it could have more power. Any situations where I just decide to go full throttle while driving, it is very very nice. Overtaking at like 100kmh is so impressive due to the instant torque (in sport & sport plus).

In fact I find the high speed overtake response the most impressive thing. It's just incredible how the car is already moving a lot before your foot is down. This is definitely NOT how it has worked with any of my traditional cars. They have power, but the Taycan has a lot of power immediately. Which is so fresh.
Don't need more with my 4S. The launch control could be more powerful, but it'll do! :)

If you can afford it though, why not go for the Turbo. I personally set a strict budget and sticked with it, so there was no choice. But importantly, after driving 1500km with my 4S, I have no regrets. To me the extra oomph isn't worth the money, you just have to decide if it is for you.

Last edited:

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I haven't driven the Turbo yet because my dealer only has two 4Ses outside & a $210k Turbo S in the showroom. But I know the deal - the 4S is about as fast as my Macan Turbo, which has the older 3.6L (no replacement for displacement!), a tune, and an exhaust. The Turbo is melt-your-face-off fast. I don't need to drive it to know I'd rather have the Turbo. ‍♂
iPhone shrug emoji turned into Mars symbol on the page. Oops
I have the 4S and to be honest, I was expecting a little more... I only test drove the Turbo and that was almost too fast so my expectations were pretty high for the 4S.

I would say it's about the same as my 971 Panamera 4S in the 1/4 mile. It's fine for a daily but if you want speed, you gotta go for the Turbo or the Turbo S.
If I was coming from a more pedestrian vehicle is feel differently but my tuned Macan Turbo has almost 20% more hp-to-weight than the 4S outside , non-overboost.
Not necessarily. I drove both one after the other and chose the 4S as had enough beans for my day to day use. Sounds like you want the Turbo so you should go for it buddy :D
If I had a toy car I'd definitely do the 4S but I live in the city so only one parking spot in the garage for me (wife has the other one). Talking myself into the turbo but the price difference is BRUTAL. The 4S is a perfect daily but it will also my toy car so I'm looking for bonkers speed.

I might wait to see if a GTS might be coming soon but the car is so incredible that I want one soon! Very envious of all of you guys that already have one, regardless of trim level.

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
First congrats on either but reading the tea leaves it seems you want the turbo and I agree add ons are extra pricey with 4s.
. I’m glad I went turbo model, love the extra “pop”
Have fun !!!

2C8B0595-4877-4DF0-AB15-BA20F06226BC.jpeg
Stunning!

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
The 4S is plenty fast, but you have to put it in Sport mode - as discussed plenty of times, I wish the car did not default to Normal each time. My wife has a faster car (the model 3 performance) and I had the P85D before. I am not missing the extra speed at all. If you get the turbo, the same will apply re sport mode. So my advice is drive back to back the cars in sport mode and decide which you enjoy most.

Re comparison with other ICE turbo Porsche models. On paper they may be as fast or faster, in practice the instant torque of the EV is hard to beat im daily driving. Ask yourself how often you use launch control when at a stop light..... You don't need that with an EV
Sponsored