79kw vs 93.4kw battery

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I always say buy the range you need not the battery you can afford.
your world in a relatively compact country like the UK is not the world that I reside in. the ability to go further is paramount in an EV. unlike a gasser where filling stations can be found almost anywhere, fast charging can be hard to find and without the ability to fast charge the car is relegated to being driven within it's range
Sponsored

Nivek

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche taycan rwd
Country flag
Agree 100% I do live in the uk,with home charging and charging stations at work(excuse pun,free of charge) with a 42 mile journey to work,the larger battery for me wasnt the deal breaker,but i completely understand the extra 30/35 miles can make a difference to a lot of people.I do make an argument that you also buy a porsche because its a 'porsche' and a joy to be driven like one.if for people like myself range isnt at the top of the list and driving dynamics are,then chose the lightest one,just a touch sweeter..You buy,like any other car,ev or not,a car to suit youre personal requirements and needs,either model as i said are awesome.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Agree 100% I do live in the uk,with home charging and charging stations at work(excuse pun,free of charge) with a 42 mile journey to work,the larger battery for me wasnt the deal breaker,but i completely understand the extra 30/35 miles can make a difference to a lot of people.I do make an argument that you also buy a porsche because its a 'porsche' and a joy to be driven like one.if for people like myself range isnt at the top of the list and driving dynamics are,then chose the lightest one,just a touch sweeter..You buy,like any other car,ev or not,a car to suit youre personal requirements and needs,either model as i said are awesome.
here in the US commutes of 100 miles each way while not common are also not unheard of.
having either the range or ability to charge in order to do a 200+ ride without driving fairly cautious is an important consideration.
or there are people like me who regularly do extended road trips, having the ability to extend the distances between the charging stops is part of my equation.

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
I have a RWD with 79 KWH battery. 90% of our use is commuting 25-30 miles per day M-F. We Level 2 charge to 80% every night at $.01 / KWH courtesy of Georgia Power. Display shows 80% = 215 mile range. (100% = 268 range). No justification for me for the bigger battery for most of our use

Then using ABRP, I just planned for an upcoming road trip from Atlanta to St Pete, FL. Set it for "Quickest Arrival", 100% SOC leaving, 80% max enroute charging, 15% minimum arrival at a charging stop and at destination arrival.

ABRP showed trip time 8H 55M. Then I "changed" my car to Taycan RWD 93 KWH battery. (Did NOT change KWh/Mi) ABRP showed trip time at 8H 40M. Even though 15 minutes faster, in my case were I to re-spec my RWD, it would be very difficult to justify the ~$6,000 bigger battery.

I'm certainly not counting on the absolute trip times ABRP is calculating. What is interesting is the seemingly small arrival time difference (~3%) between the two batteries.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Climax_F82

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
22 Taycan
Country flag
Thank you everyone for your input. It is greatly appreciated. I have decided against the 93kw battery. My drive to work is only 8 miles, which is a Porsche dealership, which I can always charge at. I will probably only charge once a week or so. My longest drive will most likely only be going to my In-laws place, which is 195 miles away. Other than that, I don't really think i'll be going anywhere too far. I currently drive a BMW M4 with 587WHP so i'm just trying to understand the idea of going with a car with less power. This Taycan will be my first non coupe, non turbo, non manual vehicle. So it will be a change for sure. But i want to use the Taycan as my family car. Thanks again everyone.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
your world in a relatively compact country like the UK is not the world that I reside in. the ability to go further is paramount in an EV. unlike a gasser where filling stations can be found almost anywhere, fast charging can be hard to find and without the ability to fast charge the car is relegated to being driven within it's range
If the above was the main consideration why would you have leased a Taycan? Tesla has better range and in your country the best rapid network.
They are shit, but range being your paramount consideration that really doesn’t matter.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
in the world of EVs range is key, I always recommend buying the longest range vehicle that you can afford.
Agreed. Even if you don't think you need the extra range now - you will. If you live where it gets cold and will be using heat the range will be affected.

misterfring

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne
Country flag
I ordered the smaller battery and this has lessened my anxiety about doing so. I feel like most threads here are like “bigger battery. No question. Just do it. Range matter more than anything” for 5 pages. This is the most balanced discussion of it I’ve seen—perhaps because more people have real-world experience with the car.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I ordered the smaller battery and this has lessened my anxiety about doing so. I feel like most threads here are like “bigger battery. No question. Just do it. Range matter more than anything” for 5 pages. This is the most balanced discussion of it I’ve seen—perhaps because more people have real-world experience with the car.
I have the Turbo S with Mission E wheels - from what I have seen in this thread and others, the RWD with the smaller has equal to or better range than what I am getting (~260 miles). I think you will be fine with smaller battery. I happy with the range in mine. Sure, longer would be better but have never needed the full range and manage just fine.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
in the world of EVs range is key, I always recommend buying the longest range vehicle that you can afford.
Kort's point is very accurate, all other things being equal. I do however think that EVs and batteries at present are analogous to PCs 30 or so years ago. In the early days of PC's it was wise to buy all the computing power you could afford, even though chips/PCs quickly became obsolete due to continual advancements in tech. The best strategy proved to be: wait as long as you can to upgrade your PC because prices would inevitably fall and power would inevitably increase. And if you fast forward to the present, practically no one even asks/cares how powerful the chip in the PC happens to be because they are all adequate for most of our needs. For EVs, if you are after more range and you can wait, you will for sure be rewarded. There will come a point (perhaps in 3-5 years?) when the battery price per kWh is $40 or less, range is 450+ miles, and charging times are less than 10 minutes. At that point, no one will give a shit (or even think) about batteries when buying EVs. They will instead fixate on comfort, driving experience, tech, etc, etc. In the meantime, just try to understand your personal driving patterns and make the best decision that you can afford, without buying a freak'n tesla kitchen appliance/video game yoke. And, of course, accept the fact that the batteries (whether 79 or 93 kW) in our present Taycans will be a technological joke in 3-5 years.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'd be surprised if you don't recover at least half the cost of the bigger battery at resale.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I have 79 kw and I tested the larger batter, the same for RWD, the additional power is offset by the additional weigh in the RWD. You onl gain 30 miles for 5K, not worth it.

ampitup

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a 2021 Taycan 4S with the standard battery and this car is definitely fast enough for me. I'm getting around 269 miles on a full charge. The batter plus will probably give you another 30 miles. That's not enough for me to spend $6,000 for the battery plus.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I have a 2021 Taycan 4S with the standard battery and this car is definitely fast enough for me. I'm getting around 269 miles on a full charge. The batter plus will probably give you another 30 miles. That's not enough for me to spend $6,000 for the battery plus.
Not all about speed. Even in more mild GA winter that range will be significantly reduced.

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I'd be surprised if you don't recover at least half the cost of the bigger battery at resale.
Glad I'm getting a 4SCT. The larger battery is not an option but I am going to give up some miles with my wheel selection :oops:
Sponsored