Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I suppose this will brand me as a hopeless luddite but, for the foreseeable future, I can't see trusting any autopilot feature that purports to allow taking hands off the wheel or eyes off the road. ACC and LCA are far as I'm willing to go.

For me, ordering and using other more "technically advanced" features would be a waste of money and, IMHO, risky.
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I turned it off after a few days with the car. I would turn it on for long road trips on the interstate.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I think the problem with all these systems is that, perversely, the better they work the more dangerous they are. In other words, the more they lull you into thinking the car can actually drive itself the more likely you are to not pay attention. I actually think I prefer lane keeping assist vs the more advance lane centering sytems for that reason. Lane Keeping assist will ping pong back and forth if you actually take your hands off the road....but it works well as an added set of eyes on the raod when/if you do become distracted (it can gently nudge you back in the lane).

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Zero interest in ALK or other "autopilot" type features. Never have, never will. Call me old fashioned. When I get in the car, it's to drive it. If you have it and like it, use it to your heart's content. But still best to keep your hands on the wheel. Anything else that you're thinking about doing with them is just gonna get you in trouble....

Last edited:

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
I find it to be very inconsistent and don’t trust it. Therefore have stopped using.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Zero interest in ALK or other "autopilot" type features. Never have, never will. Call me old fashioned. When I get in the car, it's to drive it. If you have it and like it, use it to your heart's content. But still best to keep your hands on the wheel. Anything else that you're thinking about doing with them is just gonna get you in trouble....
that's a very luddite like opinion that is based on a lack of insight. it is safe to assume that you have very little experience using such systems.
while the features offered by porsche are not nearly as robust as tesla's AP system the innodrive, lka, lca, dynamic cruise control all function and have their uses, and work well.

I have driven thousands of miles using tesla's AP and the one comment that is always made by those who have used it is how it reduces both stress and fatigue, especially on long boring interstate runs. in addition the system works great in bumper to bumper situations you will encounter. I have driven a bit using innodrive and like I noted it certainly is not as good as the tesla system, it shines on the interstates reliving the driver of needing to make minor course corrections.
like YOU say, do as you please, but your condemnation of the technology and warning people not to use it based on YOUR lack of experience or fears of something new is just plain wrong.

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
that's a very luddite like opinion that is based on a lack of insight. it is safe to assume that you have very little experience using such systems.
while the features offered by porsche are not nearly as robust as tesla's AP system the innodrive, lka, lca, dynamic cruise control all function and have their uses, and work well.

I have driven thousands of miles using tesla's AP and the one comment that is always made by those who have used it is how it reduces both stress and fatigue, especially on long boring interstate runs. in addition the system works great in bumper to bumper situations you will encounter. I have driven a bit using innodrive and like I noted it certainly is not as good as the tesla system, it shines on the interstates reliving the driver of needing to make minor course corrections.
like YOU say, do as you please, but your condemnation of the technology and warning people not to use it based on YOUR lack of experience or fears of something new is just plain wrong.
You certainly are TRIGGERED easily. You should have that looked at. Read my post again, and find something in my post that "condemned" the technology. I said that I didn't like it, don't use it, and don't intend to. Why you have a problem with that is hard to say, but quite indicative of pathology.

You come on here constantly looking to pick a fight, and then go off with all of your own BS about how brilliant and wonderful you are with all of your experience and insight. In the end it sounds like you're just another insecure Tesla fanboy, pounding endlessly on your high chair. Give it a break.

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
I agree with schad. I think the idea of what people have of these functions/assists is tainted by our lord and saviour Elon. No car out there right now and in a foreseeable future has autopilot or drive assists that can assure you to not having to fully concentrate on the road. Mercedes and others are the exact same.

By law and common sense you have to be with your eyes on the road and fully aware of whats happening while driving.

Like other said, the feature is there to assist and relax you a little, while still being fully focused on the road.

Yes technically a sound wouldn't hurt, but the thought there must be that people will depend on that "ding" and that to me is extremely dangerous. Way more dangerous than no sound.
I’ve been quite pleased with the ALK feature. I keep my hands at 2 and 10 and don’t let go. I find the feature especially helpful on sharp curves and on multi-lane highways where people drive at speed, and I’m usually not in the far left passing lane.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
When you're not on a major highway, or other conditions occur that make ALK stop working...it just silently stops. The green steering wheel disappears with no alert (audible or visual) letting the driver know it's no longer working.
I just finished a 1000 mile trip in my Tesla Y and found a similar problem: with Active Lane Keep turned on and driving 75mph, there are times when you can drive over a solid yellow line without the ALK pushing you back in the lane. It seems to work fine with dashed white lines but the Tesla doesn't seem to work all the time with yellow lines.

When ALK does work, it's a gentle nudge away from the dotted line, not a hard push. But when its not working, there is no notification. It just doesn't recognize the edge of the lane or road. Dangerous if you are depending upon ALK to work reliably.

Auto steer on the Tesla Y has disengaged a few times on its own (I'm not sure why but it could be because my hands were on the wheel and the car sensed I was trying to steer). The notification that auto steer has disengaged is not very loud and I missed the fact that it disengaged. Since I don't trust auto steer I was ready to take over the driving so it was not a problem for me.
Sponsored