Advice on spec for a first-time buyer

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cab
Country flag
I own a Dolomite 4S and originally put a deposit on one with standard black interior with $30,000 in options. When I went to the dealership to pick it up, my wife pointed to the one connected to the charger sitting next to it which was Dolomite silver with black/Bordeaux red interior and said she loved it. Unfortunately that one had $40,000 in options. That's what we brought home. After spending the extra $10000 which equates to an extra $220 a month on 48 month finance, we are much happier in the long run. Full leather, while pricey, transforms the interior. The performance package is well worth the price as well since it comes at a $2000 discount from all the components if purchased separately. I need ACC for highway driving. Innodrive however is an easy $1000+ I'd just prefer to have saved as I don't care for it. Lane change and lane keep assist is very valuable. RWS really decreases the turning circle. Wheel choice is personal preference but I really don't care for any except the mission e style 21's. Sport chrono is necessary due to control on steering wheel, but that's already included in the performance package. I was fortunate to get my car at a 10% discount from msrp.
Porsche Taycan Advice on spec for a first-time buyer Screenshot_20201209-200953_Photos~2

Last edited:

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi there, what an interesting situation. My choice of options is always influenced by what I've experienced on previous cars, whereas this looks like being all new to you.
In my opinion there are a small number of options that could really hurt resale value if not spec'd - sport chrono (I drove a loan cayenne without it recently and the dash just doesn't look right), leather interior, and window trims in black (for most exterior colours), upgraded wheels, performance battery.
I've had ventilated seats before when I lived near London and they were so nice in summer. Now living in Manchester so not needed any more! If I lived somewhere warmer like in Cambridge I'd defo spec them.
Watch out for the PDLS matrix lights. I chose them on the salesman's recommendation, but I've since learnt that they only work at >40 mph on roads without streetlights so I've not used them once yet.
My previous car (Panamera turbo) had 4 zone climate and my kids aged 5 and 10 never used it. Nor did they ever used the rear heated seats. I think heated steering wheel is essential though. My Panamera also had Burmester sound system. My Taycan 4S has Bose, and my wife's Macan S has standard Porsche sounds. I honesty can not tell the difference between all 3, but I'd recommend getting the Bose for resale value.
I assume you have seen actual dolomite silver taycans and not just the configurator? I originally ordered silver but changed my mind when I saw how blueish it is.
Ambient lighting is good.
I'm a big fan of the Sport sound. If I'm driving sensibly then it is switched off, but when I'm driving it like it should be used then I always switch it on. It gives a great soundtrack to the instant acceleration etc. Note that the noise is also projected outside the car - I've had a few positive comments from people who heard me coming.
I went for 14 way seats, but I wish I'd spent a bit more on 18 way as my seats aren't as supportive as my previous car.
I noticed you missed the side airbags in rear - you'd never forgive yourself if the worst happened - only £300.
Make sure you see a few different cars, even if it means driving to other porsche dealers.
Hope this helps. Good luck with your choice.

Will
Agree with all of above, great advice on options although I prefer the 14 way seats personally

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Optional extras:
  • 21” Wheels
  • Better interior - should we go non-leather? It's hard to gauge quality from the pictures
  • Heads-up display
  • Night Vision Assist
  • InnoDrive
  • Ambient Lighting
  • E-Performance - unknown what we require
Considered, but unlikely
  • Passenger Display - I tried this during the test drive and couldn't see enough value in it
  • Seat Ventilation (front) - probably not needed in the UK weather?
  • Acoustically insulated laminated glass - it already seemed quiet, so does this make much difference?
  • Side Window Trims in Black (high-gloss) - I still can't decide whether it's better with or without
Any thoughts/insights? Anything I've missed or should consider?
  • I would go with 20" wheels if comfort is your target.
  • Head up display - some people like this, I have tried it in different cars and I disliked it. I skipped it.
  • Night Vision Assist - will you use this? It's a bit of a gimmick, in my opinion. Maybe if you drive on dark roads. Here in Norway, everything is floodlit at 3 AM, so it's a pointless option.
  • InnoDrive - I like driving myself so put in ACC but left Innodrive out. You can upgrade to Innodrive later if you spec ACC
  • Ambient Lighting - As a driver, I never look at it, but it looks wonderful. Not sure I would have cared about if I could redo my spec.
  • E-Performance - Check what kind of charger network you have in the UK and what you will have at home and spec accordingly.
  • Make sure you get the heatpump.
  • 22 kW-charger is for three phase 400 V system AC.
  • PIRM is still considered useless (haven't tried using it yet)
  • Acoustically insulated laminated glass - I love this. Had it on my Audi A4 and I have it on my Taycan. Can't live without it now.
  • Seat ventilation - when your ass sweats during summer, you would wish you had this.
  • Side Window Trims in black - I would spec this on a light coloured vehicle but it's dependent on your personal preference. If you spec it, I would make sure to get the model designation in black too or do a model delete.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
  • I would go with 20" wheels if comfort is your target.
  • Head up display - some people like this, I have tried it in different cars and I disliked it. I skipped it.
  • Night Vision Assist - will you use this? It's a bit of a gimmick, in my opinion. Maybe if you drive on dark roads. Here in Norway, everything is floodlit at 3 AM, so it's a pointless option.
  • InnoDrive - I like driving myself so put in ACC but left Innodrive out. You can upgrade to Innodrive later if you spec ACC
  • Ambient Lighting - As a driver, I never look at it, but it looks wonderful. Not sure I would have cared about if I could redo my spec.
  • E-Performance - Check what kind of charger network you have in the UK and what you will have at home and spec accordingly.
  • Make sure you get the heatpump.
  • 22 kW-charger is for three phase 400 V system AC.
  • PIRM is still considered useless (haven't tried using it yet)
  • Acoustically insulated laminated glass - I love this. Had it on my Audi A4 and I have it on my Taycan. Can't live without it now.
  • Seat ventilation - when your ass sweats during summer, you would wish you had this.
  • Side Window Trims in black - I would spec this on a light coloured vehicle but it's dependent on your personal preference. If you spec it, I would make sure to get the model designation in black too or do a model delete.
Agree on PIRM: I bought it and so far never used it or would even trust it.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Regarding the lights, I wish I'd spent the money on the torque vectoring plus which I assume is like having a limited slip differential (if anyone has this option please comment).

For the colour I think is is essential that you see one in the flesh. I was very dissapointed with the dolomite silver. I've has a GT3 in GT silver which was lovely, but I really didn;t take to the bluish hue of the dolomite.
PTV+ is a limited slip differential.

Color is totally subjective. I've always found GT Silver too warm for my taste. But I wish Dolomite wasn't quite so blue. Rhodium is in between but sadly not offered on the Taycan.

OP
OP
TomC

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Thanks everyone. So here's what I've ended up with:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMQQ91X4

• Changed to leather
  • Changed the wheels. I don't like the cosmetics of the 20", so feel it's either 19" or 21" and the advice seems to be to avoid 21" at this time.
  • I'm sticking with Dolomite Silver for now, but will head to another dealer in January to see it in Volcano Grey and Dolomite Silver so I can pick
  • Added Side Window Trims in Black, but will remove if going with Volcano Grey as I think the contrast looks good
  • Included Bose, sound insulation + privacy glass, Sport Chrono Package, side airbags, seat ventilation, electric charging port cover, dc-charger with 150 kW and public charging cable
  • Removed Night Vision and InnoDrive

I think the only thing I'm going over in my head are the wheels and whether to bother with the Passenger Display.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
I'm sticking with Dolomite Silver for now, but will head to another dealer in January to see it in Volcano Grey and Dolomite Silver so I can pick
Have you heard about our lord and saviour, crayon?

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cab
Country flag
I think all of your choices and omissions are perfect. I think the Mission E wheels and PSCB really make the appearance of the car without much sacrifice other than $.

It's too bad Porsche UK doesn't offer a bundled performance package
  • Rear Axle Steering incl. Power Steering Plus
  • Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport)
  • Sport Chrono Package
  • Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+)
  • Porsche Electric Sport Sound
or a bundled premium package
  • LED-Matrix Design Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+)
  • Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
  • Fixed Panoramic Glass Roof
  • BOSE® Surround Sound System
  • Surround View
  • Lane Change Assist (LCA)
  • Seat Ventilation (front)
  • Ionizer
  • Storage Package
The price of all the options is discounted roughly 25% over the individual costs.

OP
OP
TomC

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I put the above order through yesterday with the Cambridge branch, so now the waiting game to see the estimated delivery. They required proof of address so I sent my provisional driving license - doubt they get many of those.

I think the Mission E wheels and PSCB really make the appearance of the car without much sacrifice other than $.
I agree. Those wheels look spectacular, but they're almost £10k due to requiring the PCCB. It's then almost Turbo prices; for about £8k more I could get a Turbo with my full spec. My wife gave me a £100k budget, which has gone up to £110k. My knees will hurt from all the begging required for me to go back and ask if I can spend another £20k.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
I put the above order through yesterday with the Cambridge branch, so now the waiting game to see the estimated delivery. They required proof of address so I sent my provisional driving license - doubt they get many of those.
I agree. Those wheels look spectacular, but they're almost £10k due to requiring the PCCB. It's then almost Turbo prices; for about £8k more I could get a Turbo with my full spec. My wife gave me a £100k budget, which has gone up to £110k. My knees will hurt from all the begging required for me to go back and ask if I can spend another £20k.
You might find that the Turbo will be delivered much sooner than a 4S, perhaps even escaping the Brexit 10% price increase, so may actually work out cheaper!

SYN_Skydance

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s and MG ZS EV
Country flag
I was told by my Porsche dealer, a couple of weeks ago, that if I changed my order to a Turbo it would arrive after March

OP
OP
TomC

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I was told by my Porsche dealer, a couple of weeks ago, that if I changed my order to a Turbo it would arrive after March
Similar story here. My lizard brain wouldn't let it go. Only £20k more for the Turbo, it said. So I contacted the dealer to see about changing it and he said it would delay the order. Apparently Turbo S allocation is almost a year. Stupid lizard brain still won't let it go.

All the same, we were fortunate that about 10 Taycan's were available in Cambridge for collection this week, so we went to pick a colour. I wouldn't have been upset if we ordered Dolomite Silver and then saw the blue tones, but I would have been surprised. In the end we decided to go with Volcano Grey and keep the Side Window Trims. Also found the 20" looked pretty much better than in the pictures. This is the final spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PMINGDI8

Thanks again for everyone's assistance.

OP
OP
TomC

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Here it is, my friends. The 4S had an unacceptable delay that would have pushed it into another tax year, so I upgraded to a Turbo: http://www.porsche-code.com/PMY9USY6

You'll have to pardon me if I make the headlines for accidentally launch controlling it into a swimming pool/Waitrose/covid vaccine distribution truck.

Porsche Taycan Advice on spec for a first-time buyer 21-03-23_Taycan-014
Sponsored