Aftermarket rear spoiler

CxM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
When the cars have been so carefully engineered to maximise aerodynamics and efficiency, do these not have a negative impact on range/handling?

I assumed that aftermarket body mods may have become as obsolete for the Taycan as adding a sport exhaust?

Each to their own etc, but genuinely interested if these mods are going to make the car better or worse?

If better, why don't Porsche design them in as standard.
I'd assume most of these aftermarket parts are for aesthetics and not for performance. Most cases, probably increase drag, maybe some could help like the diffuser.

I look it at as parts to "dress" up the Taycan and personalize it. Same goes with aftermarket wheels and lower kits.

Arismaster

First Name
Aris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo MY21
Country flag
When the cars have been so carefully engineered to maximise aerodynamics and efficiency, do these not have a negative impact on range/handling?

I assumed that aftermarket body mods may have become as obsolete for the Taycan as adding a sport exhaust?

Each to their own etc, but genuinely interested if these mods are going to make the car better or worse?

If better, why don't Porsche design them in as standard.
Exactly!
Porsche has spent years of development and billions to make Taycan the car with the most premium image in the category and best in class aerodynamics and that's why is so expensive yet so successful.
Then you decide to stick up a Chinese 100$ plastic spoiler at the back or front ??

Of course each to their own ....

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I think it's great that people want to customize their cars and add features to personalize the look. I can't think of much that is more individual than what your car looks like, and personally I put a lot of emphasis on making sure my car looks as good as I can make it. For me, this meant debadged Carrera White with matching mission E wheels with black calipers, glacier blue led lights, clear side markers, full PPF and ceramic, and window tinting. I couldn't be happier with the look.

I think this car is one of the best looking cars ever sold, and I wanted a very clean look. This spoiler looks silly to me, as does the rear diffuser, and any other bits that people add that look 'tacked on' and aftermarket. But, I love to see people modding their cars, and there are certainly interesting ideas out there. Who knows, maybe someone will post something that I think makes the car look better. But in my opinion, that is a very high bar and I haven't seen it yet...;)

tcara

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am not an engineer but could it just be possible that this is an option for if and when the GTS comes out. ?

They have to save something for future models ?

OP
OP
Cpoarchy

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
I am not an engineer but could it just be possible that this is an option for if and when the GTS comes out. ?

They have to save something for future models ?
I agree, it’s possible. Having loved Porsche’s the rear spoiler was always my favorite :)

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Think of the all engineering hours and wind tunnel time that went into developing a vehicle with a .22 Cd, one of the very lowest in the industry. Then think of attaching an outrageously expensive, aesthetically questionable and almost certainly aero compromising aftermarket add-on.

No, don't.
you mean like they do on the P100DS?

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
you mean like they do on the P100DS?
I'm not that familiar with the P100DS, however, if Tesla tacked a spoiler on the back of the Model S without aero testing (like the aftermarket Taycan spoiler I was referring to in my post) then, yes, exactly like the P100DS.

OTOH, if the Tesla spoiler was tested for function, and not just added for the sake of appearance, then that's a different matter. My $.02.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
The more I look at them, the more I think it makes a beautifully designed, engineered and aesthetically pleasing car look like someone's stuck a cheap spoiler off ebay onto it.

But each to their own.... Pay your money, make your choice.

Out of interest, are they stuck on to the actual retracted spoiler, what do they look like / perform like when that's raised?

Last edited:

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm not that familiar with the P100DS, however, if Tesla tacked a spoiler on the back of the Model S without aero testing (like the aftermarket Taycan spoiler I was referring to in my post) then, yes, exactly like the P100DS.

OTOH, if the Tesla spoiler was tested for function, and not just added for the sake of appearance, then that's a different matter. My $.02.
I mean, I guess I would ask how much of a difference that actually makes. At best its marginal. Its esthetics.

For example, do you actually feel the difference in downforce when the factory spoiler goes up or down? Even in my 911 TT with had a bunch of active aero and it was sizeable downforce, I didn't feel a whole lot of change unless I was ripping it around Sears Point, and even then it was marginal. Taycan street driving...doubt it.I feel zero change with the Taycan active aero in even the most spirited street driving.

The active aero is probably going to have about as much drag as these baby lip spoilers do.

Now all that said, Vivid Racings version...that defies logic for me - I'm guessing that they haven't sold more than their own demo from the test car. These giant wing options are just silly.

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a hard time understanding putting an aftermarket spoiler on a car that has an active-spoiler. Don't get me wrong, I've done a ton of aftermarket body modifications on prior cars of mine, but a spoiler addition or change to the active spoiler system on the car just kind of defies any real logic for me unless it's some kind of smaller lip spoiler that looks like it integrates with the overall active-spoiler that's present. To each their own, but that's my .02

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
I mean, I guess I would ask how much of a difference that actually makes. At best its marginal. Its esthetics.

For example, do you actually feel the difference in downforce when the factory spoiler goes up or down? Even in my 911 TT with had a bunch of active aero and it was sizeable downforce, I didn't feel a whole lot of change unless I was ripping it around Sears Point, and even then it was marginal. Taycan street driving...doubt it.I feel zero change with the Taycan active aero in even the most spirited street driving.

The active aero is probably going to have about as much drag as these baby lip spoilers do.

Now all that said, Vivid Racings version...that defies logic for me - I'm guessing that they haven't sold more than their own demo from the test car. These giant wing options are just silly.
Whether you can feel the difference or not isn't really the point. Nevertheless, I understand what you're saying and I agree that, aside from a possible small reduction in range, there is no practical harm done by adding an aftermarket spoiler to a Taycan.

Except for this...it offends my engineering and aesthetic sensibilities! Adding so-called "performance parts" that in all likelihood don't actually increase performance, but are intended to look like they do, is just tacky, IMVHO. Especially on an otherwise very classy automobile.

Anyway, just my opinionated perspective.

Cheers.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Whether you can feel the difference or not isn't really the point. Nevertheless, I understand what you're saying and I agree that, aside from a possible small reduction in range, there is no practical harm done by adding an aftermarket spoiler to a Taycan.

Except for this...it offends my engineering and aesthetic sensibilities! Adding so-called "performance parts" that in all likelihood don't actually increase performance, but are intended to look like they do, is just tacky, IMVHO. Especially on an otherwise very classy automobile.

Anyway, just my opinionated perspective.

Cheers.
ha! Well, not everything that is good would pass the engineering test. And, esthetics are at best personal.

That's why engineers tend to stay away from sales and marketing (except the really good ones). Also, show me a product on the planet that is so well designed that it doesn't need something to appeal to a wider audience.

Your sensibilities are personal as is the guy who opts for the spoiler. thank god we all don't drive the same color, same optioned Taycan, and there is choice...
Sponsored