Aftermarket softclose doors?

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Something that should have been standard with these heavy doors. Is this the solution?
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I really miss them from my Panamera. In that I never realised how used I got to just pressing the door close and let it finish it. I'm forever not closing my Taycan doors correctly.

MY22 I suspect – have to hold back some features.

OP
OP

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
apparently it's available as an aftermarket product. I wasn't aware of that.

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
I must have missed something, what’s the point of this feature? Honest question :)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I also miss the constantly variable door position openers from the Panamera rather than the somewhat archaic fixed position door stops on the Taycan.

Truth is, the Panamera is a much more luxurious vehicle.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I hate aftermarket anything on my Porsche's. Don't know why. I just like to keep them exactly as they left the factory. As they get older, I want this even more. Perhaps this topic is a thread in itself.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I hate aftermarket anything on my Porsche's. Don't know why. I just like to keep them exactly as they left the factory. As they get older, I want this even more. Perhaps this topic is a thread in itself.
Agreed. IMHO, there are enough bells and whistles on the Taycan. I wouldn’t add anything that could potentially malfunction.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was not aware of an after-market soft close option. Whilst I would love the soft close doors, would not been keen on fitting a non-Porsche approved part - I am sure this would have warranty implications?

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I could be wrong, but I also had a Panamera GTS before the Taycan with soft close doors and it is nice. However, with the Taycan, there is not a top window trim. You need to have it close quickly, then the window moves up to form the seal.
I would be careful with ordering and installing the aftermarket soft close doors as I am not sure when the door will trigger the window to say it is 'closed' and may move the window up before it is in all the way to properly form the seal.
Like I stated, I am not 100% sure on this as I don't have the aftermarket product. Yet, I think there must be a reason that they do not offer this as an option. I can't imagine that they would not offer something that they can make money off of with a spec. I am thinking that this was tried and there is something with the engineering that does not allow it to function properly with the frameless window.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I could be wrong, but I also had a Panamera GTS before the Taycan with soft close doors and it is nice. However, with the Taycan, there is not a top window trim. You need to have it close quickly, then the window moves up to form the seal.
I would be careful with ordering and installing the aftermarket soft close doors as I am not sure when the door will trigger the window to say it is 'closed' and may move the window up before it is in all the way to properly form the seal.
Like I stated, I am not 100% sure on this as I don't have the aftermarket product. Yet, I think there must be a reason that they do not offer this as an option. I can't imagine that they would not offer something that they can make money off of with a spec. I am thinking that this was tried and there is something with the engineering that does not allow it to function properly with the frameless window.
Many cars with frameless doors have soft close.

Mercedes EQS being the most recent and not only do they soft close the driver's door opens for entry upon approach and self closes.

I guess it's not the technical challenge but more to do with weight and power consumption.

OP
OP

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
My BMW 6 GC which I traded in for my Taycan had softclose doors. I absolutely loved it and it's a big miss with these heavy Porsche doors. I have my car for two weeks now and I can't count the times I had to shut my doors twice or more.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My BMW 6 GC which I traded in for my Taycan had softclose doors. I absolutely loved it and it's a big miss with these heavy Porsche doors. I have my car for two weeks now and I can't count the times I had to shut my doors twice or more.
I guess they're trying to slot the Taycan into the sports car category and therefore minimise the gadgets. 911s, 981s, 718s don't offer soft close.

Pretty sure the electric Panamera will when it comes.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I guess they're trying to slot the Taycan into the sports car category and therefore minimise the gadgets. 911s, 981s, 718s don't offer soft close.

Pretty sure the electric Panamera will when it comes.
There is some logic to that, but personally I would have appreciated soft close doors. The Taycan is bottom line a four-door sedan. Admittedly, a very fun to drive and sporty one.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
Many cars with frameless doors have soft close.

Mercedes EQS being the most recent and not only do they soft close the driver's door opens for entry upon approach and self closes.

I guess it's not the technical challenge but more to do with weight and power consumption.
This may be true, my point was more that I would think the timing of the window going up would need to be in sync with the soft-close. Therefore, I am not sure if an aftermarket product that does not change the timing of when it goes up, might be an issue.
It will depend on when it signals that the door is closed to trigger the window going up.
It may not be an issue, but I will not be the first one to install this and find out.
Sponsored