W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This may be true, my point was more that I would think the timing of the window going up would need to be in sync with the soft-close. Therefore, I am not sure if an aftermarket product that does not change the timing of when it goes up, might be an issue.
It will depend on when it signals that the door is closed to trigger the window going up.
It may not be an issue, but I will not be the first one to install this and find out.
I wouldn't dare go aftermarket as who knows what issues that would bring.
Sponsored

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
apparently it's available as an aftermarket product. I wasn't aware of that.
Thanks for the link to the video. Here are some facts that give me confidence to try this on my Taycan.
  • The Motowey system is sold as a retrofit for Audi and Panamera soft close mechanisms link;
  • The mechanism mates by original VAG design with the existing mechanical latches in both the Audi and the Porsche.

Last edited:

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
apparently it's available as an aftermarket product. I wasn't aware of that.
Description talks to the Panamera and so I'd be a bit wary.
I took a bullet for the team / jumped on a grenade / choose your metaphor, to try out the Motowey soft close door mechanisms. @Adrian@GlasWerksDMV's shop did the install. My contribution was to risk the $849 hardware purchase from Motowey, with no internet reviews/ratings to provide confidence. I then left on a 2+ weeks vacation during which time Adrian's shop did the install. Here's my summary. Adrian can describe the details.
Purchase experience: Motowey provides little to no order status information. I was about to write off the $849 order after several weeks when I received a third party delivery notification of a package from Hong Kong. I had no idea where Motowey was located, but now at least I know where they ship from.
Hardware quality: Adrian informs me that the hardware appears to be of Chinese manufacture with no suggestion of OEM labeling. Nonetheless, he said that the hardware appears to be well designed and built.
Installation guidance: Adrian said that the only documentation included with the shipment was shipping paperwork (no installation instructions) in Mandarin. The only installation instructions are on YouTube, consisting of a less than one minute video with no words. He said that his shop had to drill out a press-fit fastener in each Porsche door lock mechanism. The grey and yellow wires for the Motowey mechanisms were not obviously correlated with the several dozen wire color combinations in the Taycan door wire bundles. The Motowey motor drive mechanisms, housed in a separate assembly from the latch mechanisms, were difficult to situate in the extremely limited door cavity spaces.
Performance: glorious.

Porsche Taycan Aftermarket softclose doors? 1666995590724

Last edited:

Adrian@GlasWerksDMV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, GT4.5, Dakar & 296GTS Ordered!
Country flag
Genau sums it up well. This is something i was very skeptical of doing as we didn't want to be responsible for this frying a module in the car or anything. He took the leap of faith so to speak. Installation wasn't very straightforward and some small tweaks had to be made to the aftermarket latch mechanisms to get them lined up perfectly. The kit comes with crimp connectors to tap into the wiring harness for Power/Ground I don't find these types of connections adequate so we chose to tap and soldier into the harness so at least we can be assured we will always have proper power/ground as the system ages. Will be doing this to my Taycan when it arrives as the wife seems to always have an issue closing the Taycan doors.

luv4eternity

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022
Country flag
have anyone actually thought of ripping out the mechanism from a panamera ? its technically not aftermarket if its porsche original parts. i wonder if anyone done this yet ?🤔

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
have anyone actually thought of ripping out the mechanism from a panamera ? its technically not aftermarket if its porsche original parts. i wonder if anyone done this yet ?🤔
I did some research into compatibility and from what I can tell looking at eBay photos, the Taycan shares door lock mechanism with Audi A8 (4N generation 2017-present). I’m pretty sure the Panamera 971 also uses the same. So it should be compatible to swap the A8/Pan softclose mech. There are plenty of Audi examples for sale on eBay.

Also note the previous Gen A8 (09-17) and 970 Panamera also shared soft close mechs but we’re a different design.
Sponsored