Always charging to 100%

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
My Taycan Turbo is now charging to 100% even if the profile, timers are set to 85% and direct charging is switched off.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is not your problem exactly, but what I did when I was trying to figure out profiles and timers.

Double check what the manual says to make sure you got all the details.

Did the car used to charge properly?

Check the timer that you want to use in case it accidentally got changed.

Make sure the minimum charge didn't accidentally get changed.

Maybe delete all the timers and just work with the General Profile and see if you can get that to work.

If all this still looks good, then I think the next step is some experiments.

Take the car out and run the battery down, to say 20%

Then set it to some low number like 50% and see if you can get that to work.

If still not working probably back to the dealer.

OP
OP

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
This is not your problem exactly, but what I did when I was trying to figure out profiles and timers.

Double check what the manual says to make sure you got all the details.

Did the car used to charge properly?

Check the timer that you want to use in case it accidentally got changed.

Make sure the minimum charge didn't accidentally get changed.

Maybe delete all the timers and just work with the General Profile and see if you can get that to work.

If all this still looks good, then I think the next step is some experiments.

Take the car out and run the battery down, to say 20%

Then set it to some low number like 50% and see if you can get that to work.

If still not working probably back to the dealer.
Hi

Thanks for this. I’ve already tried these suggestions. For instance the car now says “charging session completed” but the % charge is still increasing

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hi

Thanks for this. I’ve already tried these suggestions. For instance the car now says “charging session completed” but the % charge is still increasing
What charger are you using? The PMCC? Or something else?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Set minimum charge in your profile to 25% or just don't use a profile at all (this is just for charging at preferred times).
If your profile is set to minimum charge of 85% and your timer too, it'll conflict.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Possibly something has become corrupted.

You could try this.

Go into the PCM
Settings
System
Reset to Factory Settings.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I assume when looking at the charging screen it shows the expected profile and timer as active? If not, there is a timer or profile problem (for example, the profile or timer isn't selected as active, or the GPS location of the profile is somehow incorrect). If the correct profile / timer show as active and it still charges past the set point of the timer (if active) or profile (if no timer active), then yeah, something seems amiss...

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
there is nothing wrong with charging to 100% as long as you drive it down in short order. charging to 100% and letting it sit at that level can stress the battery pack and isn't good for the health of the battery.
This true, but the charging time for that last 5% - 10% also degrades the battery. Exactly how much - not sure, and we may not know with this particular battery set-up, and you may not realize any capacity loss over the first 2-3 years.

My counter point - what's wrong with charging to 85% except when you need 100%?

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My Taycan Turbo is now charging to 100% even if the profile, timers are set to 85% and direct charging is switched off.

Any ideas?

Thanks
I had the same problem. I had selected the General Profile, Minimum Charge 85%, and then selected Set Preferred Charging Times 12 am-8am (all in the General Profile).

My intuition told me that this would mean the car would delay charging until midnight and then take the charge to 85% between Midnight and 8 am. This turns out not to be the case.

With this General Profile setup I found that the car would immediately charge to 85% and then stop charging. Then at 12:00 am the car would start charging again until it reached 100%. Who knew?

So I was stuck. But then I read this thread and reviewed the video at Charging Video. I found the video to be really helpful in that it showed how to observe in real-time the effect of changes you make to the charging settings on battery charging behavior through use of the lower middle screen (when that screen is set to show Charging).

So here is what worked for me -- To limit the Maximum SOC to 85% with the General Profile, I found that I had to set Minimum Charge to 85%, and select the Optimized Charging radio button. I have no Timer set.

NOTE: The description of the two radio buttons "Optimized Charging" and "Set Preferred Charging Times" are nonsense in that the descriptions don't match the charging behavior, and instead of being independent concepts are intertwined with each other (see below).

-------------------------
USER EXPERIENCE ISSUE: I think the design of the General Profile Charging interface is very confusing. Little did I know that when editing the General Profile selecting Optimized Charging de-selects the Set Preferred Charging Times button, and vice versa. I thought both radio buttons could be OFF or both could be ON, but apparently they only toggle each other. To me this is a very non-intuitive user interface choice. Radio Buttons by their nature signal ON and OFF when selected and de-selected, not "OFF means this other button is "ON". When there are two distinct but unrelated options the better choice is a slider between Option A, and Option B.

RECOMMENDED PCM CHANGES FOR CHARGING: It goes without saying that the description of how to setup charging in the User's Manual and in the Good To Know app is terrible. What is needed is a step-by-step process that goes something like this --

• Step 1 - Basic Charging Setup - How to charge the car to 100% at Home or using a DC fast charger. This would include descriptions of how to attach and release the J-1772 plug connector (charging button first, then plug button on top), and how the locking and unlocking of the doors affects the ability to disconnect the J-1772 plug.
  • Step 2 - Establishing 85% Maximum Charge - The General Profile should really be only about establishing two charging levels - 1) Minimum Charge - If the SoC is below this level, charging kicks in until this level is reached; 2) Maximum Charge - No matter what timers are set, and whether on AC or DC charging, set the Maximum SoC.
  • Step 3 - Overriding Profiles for Max Charge - How to override the General Profile established in Step 2 to get to 100% whether using AC or DC charging.
  • Step 4 - Minimizing Charging Cost - This step would establish how to optimize AC charging based on local electrical rates and introduce the notion of Timers. I think this is the only place that the notion of "Timer" or "Optimized Charging" should appear. (It is a real flaw in the PCM that both of these notions are present under the General Profile, and are simply confusing.)

Note that in this process each step builds on the previous steps, while adding new functionality as desired.

Last edited:
OP
OP

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
Hi

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will go through the responses today. This problem has only started occurring since i fast charged at a 350KW fast charger at a new charging station in the UK last week
Sponsored