sbarker108

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance; TS on order
Country flag
With the Taycan being a GT rather than a sports car I've started to consider what else is interesting out there as an alternative. I appreciate global shortages mean just that, but it's made in China and it might just help mitigate some of those issues. So I'm thinking stick a deposit it down and let the gods of fate decide which ones comes in first.

Due to launch in 2023, I think it looks nice, not as nice as a Taycan and not as nice as a Urus, but as an SUV it's a good-looking car. It seems to have lots of technology, the interior is nice, and I expect it will handle well given it's a Lotus.

The base model is fast, the rather silly but more appealing 1000BHP thing will be ridiculous no doubt and likely to cost the same as a Taycan.

https://www.lotuscars.com/en-US/eletre/
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Another SUV/crossover thing with glass roof – the world is short of those alright.

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I would wait for the Macan EV Turbo.

OP
OP
sbarker108

sbarker108

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance; TS on order
Country flag
Another SUV/crossover thing with glass roof – the world is short of those alright.
Lol, I know what you mean but I've never looked at an SUV and considered actually owning one, bar a Urus. Probably just kidding myself aren't I? Desperate for options rather than waiting another 12 months to get my Taycan.

kurand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, Lotus Elise S1
Country flag
Not really a Lotus though is it? Not build by turnip framers in Norfolk 😉 Not much sign of added-lightness Lotus DNA etc etc. Hard to see how they can get build quality to compete agains Porsche, Audi etc

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
Not really a Lotus though is it? Not build by turnip framers in Norfolk 😉 Not much sign of added-lightness Lotus DNA etc etc. Hard to see how they can get build quality to compete agains Porsche, Audi etc
Agreed. Far far away from being a "real" Lotus beyond just the badge. As many already know, Geely, a Chinese multinational company has had majority stake on Lotus and have built a state of the art billion dollar factory in Wuhan to build the Eletre.

I have nothing against anything made in China, because many excellent products are produced there. If anything, Lotus reliability and build-quality could actually improve in such a high-tech factory. But I do have reservations about jumping head first into a first year model of an EV from a company's first foray into EVs.

smartymarti

First Name
Marti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s cross turismo
Country flag
Id happily have one over my taycan , I think porwche centres have turned into spoilt brats who no longer look after anyone but themselves , I’ve just had mine out for a squeaky seat and it’s back in for the 6th time end of the month, it’s a joke , rant over anyone seen the new mclaren suv coming that’s epic

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The only thing I like about SUVs is the higher eyeline.
Everything else about them makes them poor as cars.
Since I don’t spend much time on the farm any more I have no need or desire for one.

The first attraction of the CT, which led to me checking it out and ordering one is that it is an electric estate car and there aren’t many of them to choose from.
I want a tailgate for access of my most frequent passenger, my dog, leaving me with Merc EQS which is pointlessly big in the rear for my use and the Tesla Model S.

I gave the plethora of electric SUVs absolutely zero consideration whatsoever.

avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Raptor
Country flag
I have booked a slot to look at the Eletre next month.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
It does look pretty cool and probably a key vehicle for the survival of Lotus. Geely wants their ROI and it's not going to come from just selling Emiras. Not sure if I'd be interested enough to make a deposit as the dealership network is still limited here in the US. The crossover/EV landscape is quite crowded anyhow since it's the biggest market.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
I briefly looked at it, but it's too big IMO. Not big enough to be the new family wagon, but too big to replace my RS4.

The new Maser might be something to look at...though the old one didn't handle as well as the Taycan on the roads near here. So it would need to have its ante very upped.

Jamesca

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5M
Country flag
Not sure if it's EVs or just generally these days but struggle to find decent info on when these cars will be available to order, when they will be at dealers etc.

Saw the Polestar 3 launch, looks ok but be interesting to see how it drives but although order books open I couldn't see when they might be in showrooms to have a closer look.

Macan EV - thought this was to be unveiled this year for 2023 release but now seems to suggest 2024 release?

Lotus Eletre - can reserve but struggle to find any dates on where it will be released.

I would need to see the above in the flesh and drive as to me the Taycan is still no.1 and nothing currentyl close to it.

kl98cwg

First Name
DF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
An SUV doesn’t strike me as an alternative to the Taycan ...

The Lotus website says it has a “porous design” - that’ll be fun in the rain 🌧