Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box?

OP
OP
Swissbob

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Good to know. Mine should be arriving in Rotkreuz in October, including the bars.
hope you find a solution with your dealer.
Thanks. The roof box is great by the way! Was able to fit 4 decent sized bags in there plus a load of stuff around them. The dog had the boot to himself!
Sponsored

schredder13

First Name
Florian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Benz G, Taycan 4 Cross Turismo in week 41
Country flag
Did you get the “speed box” version?

OP
OP
Swissbob

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag

schredder13

First Name
Florian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Benz G, Taycan 4 Cross Turismo in week 41
Country flag
A real beauty… 6-7 more weeks to wait for me, and I am not really known for patience ??

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
The lengths are completely different but I think I know what it is now… they need to go on in a specific direction (as the rail gets wider). I didn’t realize this until I just checked underneath and saw it is indicated. In my favour clearly the Porsche tech didn’t know this either as the first dent was caused when they fitted them prior to delivery
007BD029-7B9D-4CF6-9B0F-CE6C541B059A.jpeg
Unfortunate way to have learned the lesson, but thanks for sharing.
When I mount my roof bars and box, I shall keep this in mind, and even with correct orientation, take steps to avoid damage - given the relatively barbaric metal on metal, I shall probably wrap the rail in some kind of protective material. Lamin-X is like a heavy PPF:
https://lamin-x.com/rack-protector-paint-protection.html
As shown, it goes on body panels and frame, but I’d use it on the roof rails themselves.

RocketDog

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4s
Country flag
Just back from a monster 4000km road trip. Taycan CT4 with roofbox was GREAT! Fast charging at the Ionity chargers worked well and twice as fast as with my old Model X. Range was also significantly better. Just taken off the roof box and bars and the metal clamp on the bars is leaving a compression mark going through the paint on both sides. I noticed it on one side when I initially removed the bars when getting home from collecting the car (and reported it to the dealership as they had mounted the bars). Now I have another set of dents a few mm’s away. Anyone else experienced this?
936076A0-8C8C-463C-B127-19482EE5EAA6.jpeg
I have the porsche roof bars and mine did the same thing, despite following instructions and using the Porsche supplied torque wrench. Very, very annoying. Going to discuss with dealer today.

Monkeymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, e-Golf, Austin Mini, +
Country flag
I installed mine following the directions and damaged rails on both sides as well. I was surprised how cheaply made these were. The covers are pretty flimsy and are barely attached to a bent metal hook. Two of mine kept popping off during installation. The factory rails for my Golf Alltrack are much better quality.

Porsche Taycan Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box? 60CCF846-CB98-4B39-80BA-1316946E0B04
Porsche Taycan Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box? 3681E9AC-7C5D-4E27-AB6D-EA353F0A43D5

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
The Thule website in the USA (www.thule.com/en-us) does not include roof bars for the Taycan CT. I just took delivery of my car on 13-Nov and I noticed that the roof rails have two sets of locating holes on the inner side of the rails. The holes are about 6mm in diameter and about 40mm apart. The front and rear sets are about 800mm apart (about 32"). The photos posted by Swissbob do not appear to include these locating holes. If the rail design has been changed to include these holes I can imagine a new type of chassis specific cross bar that does not clamp around the rail and can simply be expanded between the rails on either side of the roof.

Don't be confused by the reflection of the rail and the ceiling of my garage on the glass roof of the car.

Porsche Taycan Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box? Locating_holes_in_roof_rail

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The Thule website in the USA (www.thule.com/en-us) does not include roof bars for the Taycan CT. I just took delivery of my car on 13-Nov and I noticed that the roof rails have two sets of locating holes on the inner side of the rails. The holes are about 6mm in diameter and about 40mm apart. The front and rear sets are about 800mm apart (about 32"). The photos posted by Swissbob do not appear to include these locating holes. If the rail design has been changed to include these holes I can imagine a new type of chassis specific cross bar that does not clamp around the rail and can simply be expanded between the rails on either side of the roof.

Don't be confused by the reflection of the rail and the ceiling of my garage on the glass roof of the car.

Locating_holes_in_roof_rail.png
Looks like Thule are updating their US site at the moment. Both CT and sedan are now listed within the roof rack section but no products displayed yet. I guess its a case of 'sit tight' to see what they publish.

Porsche Taycan Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box? 1637073862576

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
The holes are there on the macan also, I think they’re just a visual indicator for where to mount the cross bars. We have a rack on our macan and that’s what I used them for

RocketDog

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4s
Country flag

The holes are there on my Taycans rails - the roof bars locate into them before clamping down on the otside edge of the roof rails.

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The holes are there on my Taycans rails - the roof bars locate into them before clamping down on the otside edge of the roof rails.
The holes apparently do not precisely locate the roof bars, since Swissbob reports damage on the rails a few mm apart after installing the bars multiple times. I am hoping that Swissbob chimes in to confirm whether or not his rails have the holes.

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The holes are there on the macan also, I think they’re just a visual indicator for where to mount the cross bars. We have a rack on our macan and that’s what I used them for
Can the Macan roof bars be installed and removed without damaging the rails?

OP
OP
Swissbob

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
The holes apparently do not precisely locate the roof bars, since Swissbob reports damage on the rails a few mm apart after installing the bars multiple times. I am hoping that Swissbob chimes in to confirm whether or not his rails have the holes.
yep I also have the holes so not quite sure how the marks were not in exactly the same place ?‍♂
Sponsored