axpy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD
Country flag
I got my RWD a few month ago and in general I like it but one thing I really hate is the steering feedback and how over booster it is at low speed.

I didn’t noticed when I configured the car that PS+ was bundled with the rear axle steering in some market. My dealer told me there is no way to disable the feature, is that true? I had the servotronics option coded out from our cayenne a few years ago so I know I can be done at least on some model and the manual listing the option as FoD, it seems like it should be even easier.

I was wondering if anyone had theirs coded out somehow.
Sponsored

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I don't know how to solve it once you bought it from the factory.
But I heard that if you do not tick the option from the factory, you can buy it and enable it with FunctionOnDemand. And disable it again.

So maybe a recommendation for future buyers: buy this option via FoD.

Myself, I did not include the dynamic power steering option. I have chosen a very minimal configuration. I don't even have a parking camera or air suspension. I don't need it.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I didn’t noticed when I configured the car that PS+ was bundled with the rear axle steering in some market. My dealer told me there is no way to disable the feature, is that true?
I wouldn't be surprised if PS+ isn't so much bundled with RAS, more likely an integral and necessary part of its operation.

OP
OP
axpy

axpy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if PS+ isn't so much bundled with RAS, more likely an integral and necessary part of its operation.
I am very skeptical about that statement. RAS and PS+ are on every other P models a separate options. My guess is that it is that RAS is sold on the Taycan as a parking aid and not much as a performance option and they decided to bundled the 2 together to avoid confusion. I don't see any reason why the front steering rack has to be over boosted at low speed when the RAS is entirely controlled by a motor on the rear axle.

OP
OP
axpy

axpy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD
Country flag
I am very skeptical about that statement. RAS and PS+ are on every other P models a separate options. My guess is that it is that RAS is sold on the Taycan as a parking aid and not much as a performance option and they decided to bundled the 2 together to avoid confusion. I don't see any reason why the front steering rack has to be over boosted at low speed when the RAS is entirely controlled by a motor on the rear axle.
Just to add on that, if you go to the configurator for Porsche France and choose the GTS, they are listed under 2 separate options which means the can be decoupled.

"Servotronic Plus" and "Roues arrière directrices"

Porsche Taycan Anyone have any success disabling Power Steering Plus Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 12.41.16 PM

OP
OP
axpy

axpy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD
Country flag
My bad on the configurator. They are separate but can't be selected together. And the plot thickens.

OP
OP
axpy

axpy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD
Country flag
Anyway, on 911s RAS doesn't come with PS+.

I wish there was a way to play with PTV+, RAS and PS+ separately just to have feel of how these impact the handling and road feel.

kl98cwg

First Name
DF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I heard that if you do not tick the option from the factory, you can buy it and enable it with FunctionOnDemand. And disable it again
I did exactly that - after trying PS+ for a few days I decided the steering was too light at low speed for my liking so I removed it (although it took some weeks before reverting back)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I got my RWD a few month ago and in general I like it but one thing I really hate is the steering feedback and how over booster it is at low speed.

I didn’t noticed when I configured the car that PS+ was bundled with the rear axle steering in some market. My dealer told me there is no way to disable the feature, is that true? I had the servotronics option coded out from our cayenne a few years ago so I know I can be done at least on some model and the manual listing the option as FoD, it seems like it should be even easier.

I was wondering if anyone had theirs coded out somehow.
PSP was an FOD option and so software coded.

It is bundled with RASnand not clear if it is a pre requisite or thrown in to make RAS a more attractive option.

Can't understand the need to disable it. It is fantastic IMHO.

OP
OP
axpy

axpy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD
Country flag
Can't understand the need to disable it. It is fantastic IMHO.
No “need” per se but I am on the other camp as far as PS+(PSP?) is concerned. I don’t understand how some folks like it so much :). That being said, I am coming from a cayman, drove a bunch of 911 over the years and find non-PS+ more communicative at lowish(<50mph) speed. Even on an older cayenne, coding out the option improve road feel significantly at low speed.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
No “need” per se but I am on the other camp as far as PS+(PSP?) is concerned. I don’t understand how some folks like it so much :). That being said, I am coming from a cayman, drove a bunch of 911 over the years and find non-PS+ more communicative at lowish(<50mph) speed. Even on an older cayenne, coding out the option improve road feel significantly at low speed.
I haven't driven the PS+ Taycan. Does this just lighten the steering at slow speed or does it improve ie weight up at high speed too. I don't really mind light steering at very low speed but would like a typical Porsche higher feedback PS at higher speeds. I was certainly impressed with steering in a a normal PS Tacan but just assumed that PS+ would improve overall feel at all speeds.

OP
OP
axpy

axpy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD
Country flag
I haven't driven the PS+ Taycan. Does this just lighten the steering at slow speed or does it improve ie weight up at high speed too. I don't really mind light steering at very low speed but would like a typical Porsche higher feedback PS at higher speeds. I was certainly impressed with steering in a a normal PS Tacan but just assumed that PS+ would improve overall feel at all speeds.
I think the biggest question what is exactly PS+. The answer is probably more complex than it should and since it's software, who the hell know what's really going on. I am sure there is some variation between models and generations. There is a lot of threads on reenlist talking about PSP and my favorite comment was:

Here's how I'd describe it. If you drove a car with it, you'd probably never know it. If you drove a car without it, you'd probably never know it. If you drove them both back to back, you'd notice it and, depending upon whether it really mattered to you, you'd decide to spec it or not.

It's hard to tell at exactly what speed it stop being perceptible. Bear in mind, I have never driven a Taycan without it so maybe someone with more experience than me would have a more enlightened opinion. But in my totally subjective experience, on non Taycan cars, is that over 45, maybe 50 mph, I can't tell If I am with or without PS+. It's specially perceptible at very low speed but doesn't fade out entirely until you reach a something respectable. At low speed, the steering is noticeably lighter, the ratio or the precision doesn't change, just the EPS boost. As for the feels, the steering is lighter, you can steer with a single finger in a parking lot, but it also numb down the road where I am spending most of my time driving. I personally don't mind my car to be a little more of a handful during normal driving as I like to be reminded that I am driving something sporty :). I don't think PS+ kills the experience, it's still a Porsche but when I am driving I just wish for a bit more and maybe it's also the fact that I currently don't have a sports car to fulfill my cravings.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
I think the biggest question what is exactly PS+. The answer is probably more complex than it should and since it's software, who the hell know what's really going on. I am sure there is some variation between models and generations. There is a lot of threads on reenlist talking about PSP and my favorite comment was:

Here's how I'd describe it. If you drove a car with it, you'd probably never know it. If you drove a car without it, you'd probably never know it. If you drove them both back to back, you'd notice it and, depending upon whether it really mattered to you, you'd decide to spec it or not.

It's hard to tell at exactly what speed it stop being perceptible. Bear in mind, I have never driven a Taycan without it so maybe someone with more experience than me would have a more enlightened opinion. But in my totally subjective experience, on non Taycan cars, is that over 45, maybe 50 mph, I can't tell If I am with or without PS+. It's specially perceptible at very low speed but doesn't fade out entirely until you reach a something respectable. At low speed, the steering is noticeably lighter, the ratio or the precision doesn't change, just the EPS boost. As for the feels, the steering is lighter, you can steer with a single finger in a parking lot, but it also numb down the road where I am spending most of my time driving. I personally don't mind my car to be a little more of a handful during normal driving as I like to be reminded that I am driving something sporty :). I don't think PS+ kills the experience, it's still a Porsche but when I am driving I just wish for a bit more and maybe it's also the fact that I currently don't have a sports car to fulfill my cravings.
Maybe 911SC or Carrera, bit heavy parking but great feel.

Last edited:

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I thought it was standard in the US on all cars and only lightens the steering under 30mph. Maybe I am wrong on both counts, but glad I have it on mine

OP
OP
axpy

axpy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD
Country flag
I thought it was standard in the US on all cars and only lightens the steering under 30mph. Maybe I am wrong on both counts, but glad I have it on mine
Might be, I know my flair says US but I am actually in Europe. That being said, this thread is for all the American who wish this was an option as it should be.
Sponsored