W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Carplay can be used independently of what can be integrated into your PCM.

Many people use Carplay to access apps other than Apple Music.

If you are struggling to setup your PCM with Apple Music then just connect your phone either wired or wirelessly and use Carplay as you would in any other vehicle that supports it.

Curious to know how far you got with attempting to link your Apple ID with your Porsche Connect ID as it sounds like this has become more complicated than it needs to be?
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
When you link your account on the porsche.com website, you are actually redirected to Apple’s SSO (single sign on) service. Porsche (nor the PCM) is using your apple password. Apple is basically authroizing a token for the PCM to access the service.

If you are worried about secuirty with your apple logon, then make sure you enable 2 factor security
Additionally by going to the "Apps with access ..." option on Apple Music on Desktop – you can remove the token you've given to Porsche – so you always have full control and they never have your password or credentials.

Porsche Taycan Apple Music questions Screenshot 2022-05-01 at 10.11.21

OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
Carplay can be used independently of what can be integrated into your PCM.

Many people use Carplay to access apps other than Apple Music.

If you are struggling to setup your PCM with Apple Music then just connect your phone either wired or wirelessly and use Carplay as you would in any other vehicle that supports it.

Curious to know how far you got with attempting to link your Apple ID with your Porsche Connect ID as it sounds like this has become more complicated than it needs to be?
I’m receiving the car Tuesday so I’ve not yet been able to attempt any setup. I’m not sure I’ve clearly articulated my question. What I want to do is use my Apple Music account NOT via Apple Car Play which is basically an app that’s separate from the Media app. Instead I want to choose my Apple Music account via the Media app just like I can choose Serius XM or the FM tuner as available sources within the Media app. I know you can do that by signing up for the free trial Apple Music subscription that’s available to new Taycan owners, but obviously I want to use my existing Apple Music account.

So ti reiterate, I do NOT want to use Apple Car Play as a means of accessing my Apple Music account. I want to access my Apple Music account by scrolling down the available sources in the Media app and picking MY Apple Music account (not the trial Apple Music subscription, but MY Apple Music account). This is my key question I’m looking to answer plus instructions how to do it.

And finally if I’m able to achieve the above, can I use the Favorites designation to make my various playlists favorites that appear in the list of favorites within the Media app along side, for example, various Serius XM channels?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Based on my limited experience, the Apple Music PCM app seems to have three purposes:
  1. No Impact on iPhone Battery Life. Using the Apple Music PCM app does not drain the iPhone battery. If your iPhone battery is low, then using the Apple Music PCM app allows you to listen to continue to listen to your music without draining your iPhone battery.
  2. Data Cap Savings. If you have issues with data usage on your iPhone plan, you won't impact your iPhone data usage when listening to the Apple Music PCM app.
  3. No need to use CarPlay. Some people do not like CarPlay. My brother-in-law is one of those people, and he would definitely appreciate the Apple Music PCM app for this reason.
The music itself is generally the same. The disadvantages of the Apple Music PCM app that I have seen:
  1. Slightly slower start for songs downloaded to your iPhone. Many people download the songs on their playlists to their iPhones. These songs will start faster on CarPlay than on the Apple Music PCM app.
  2. No access to library songs not available on iTunes. Some of us (usually older people) have added songs to our iPhones the old fashioned way: By ripping CDs or music purchased elsewhere and adding it to iTunes and then syncing to the iPhone. As archaic as this sounds, some of the songs added to iPhones this way are not available in Apple Music at all and cannot be synced in any way to the Apple Music PCM app.
  3. Logging in with Apple ID. Some people feel uncomfortable providing Apple credentials to a system whose security is not well-known.
  4. PCM Clutter. I definitely feel like it's very cluttered to have both. Worse for some users, it is confusing to have both. I shudder to think how confused my father be by having both CarPlay and the Apple Music PCM app available and logged in.
The disadvantages (especially #2) are enough for me not to use the Apple Music PCM app.

Last edited:

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
So ti reiterate, I do NOT want to use Apple Car Play as a means of accessing my Apple Music account. I want to access my Apple Music account by scrolling down the available sources in the Media app and picking MY Apple Music account (not the trial Apple Music subscription, but MY Apple Music account). This is my key question I’m looking to answer plus instructions how to do it.
Yes. That's exactly the use case for the Apple Music PCM app. You just log in to the App using your Apple ID.
And finally if I’m able to achieve the above, can I use the Favorites designation to make my various playlists favorites that appear in the list of favorites within the Media app along side, for example, various Serius XM channels?
Unfortunately, I did not try this, so I cannot speak to that. That would be an interesting benefit; I will give that a try, as that would add a benefit to the Apple Music PCM app that I had not identified when I tried it.

OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
Based on my limited experience, the Apple Music PCM app seems to have three purposes:
  1. No Impact on iPhone Battery Life. Using the Apple Music PCM app does not drain the iPhone battery. If your iPhone battery is low, then using the Apple Music PCM app allows you to listen to continue to listen to your music without draining your iPhone battery.
  2. Data Cap Savings. If you have issues with data usage on your iPhone plan, you won't impact your iPhone data usage when listening to the Apple Music PCM app.
  3. No need to use CarPlay. Some people do not like CarPlay. My brother-in-law is one of those people, and he would definitely appreciate the Apple Music PCM app for this reason.
The music itself is generally the same. The disadvantages of the Apple Music PCM app that I have seen:
  1. Slightly slower start for songs downloaded to your iPhone. Many people download the songs on their playlists to their iPhones. These songs will start faster on CarPlay than on the Apple Music PCM app.
  2. No access to library songs not available on iTunes. Some of us (usually older people) have added songs to our iPhones the old fashioned way: By ripping CDs or music purchased elsewhere and adding it to iTunes and then syncing to the iPhone. As archaic as this sounds, some of the songs added to iPhones this way are not available in Apple Music at all and cannot be synced in any way to the Apple Music PCM app.
  3. Logging in with Apple ID. Some people feel uncomfortable providing Apple credentials to a system whose security is not well-known.
  4. PCM Clutter. I definitely feel like it's very cluttered to have both. Worse for some users, it is confusing to have both. I shudder to think how confused my father be by having both CarPlay and the Apple Music PCM app available and logged in.
The disadvantages (especially #2) are enough for me not to use the Apple Music PCM app.
On your point #3, I read somewhere that your Apple credentials aren’t actually given to Porsche but rather Apple gives Porsche a token that allows access without revealing your credentials.

My primary purpose of wanting my Apple Music account embedded as a source within the Media app is simply being able to curate a list of favorites comprised of channels/playlists from various sources.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’m receiving the car Tuesday so I’ve not yet been able to attempt any setup. I’m not sure I’ve clearly articulated my question. What I want to do is use my Apple Music account NOT via Apple Car Play which is basically an app that’s separate from the Media app. Instead I want to choose my Apple Music account via the Media app just like I can choose Serius XM or the FM tuner as available sources within the Media app. I know you can do that by signing up for the free trial Apple Music subscription that’s available to new Taycan owners, but obviously I want to use my existing Apple Music account.

So that is 100% achievable.

I’m an Android user and so don’t have (or need) CarPlay BUT I do have Apple Music.

When I got my Taycan 16 months ago I simply followed the Porsche instructions for linking my pre-existing Apple ID to my Porsche Connect ID. This then added two options into the PCM Media section - Apple Music and Apple Podcasts.

Access to playlists etc then becomes accessible.
I skipped the free period as I already had an Apple Family / One subscription.

in advance of collecting your car create your Porsche Connect ID if not already done so. Next go to the section in the web site to link your ID with your Apple ID.

Visit the My Porsche website where you create your Porsche Connect ID. A list of Porsche Connect services should be listed one of which will be Apple Music. Follow the instructions. Job done. Then when you log into your PCM and go to media the Apple content will be displayed.

Screen shots should help.

Porsche Taycan Apple Music questions C27FC19B-E5D6-40BD-8882-98327A0C2D9E

Porsche Taycan Apple Music questions DAB8C18C-E989-45ED-B17C-94765E61D731

Porsche Taycan Apple Music questions 9416E3EA-1AD4-4716-8954-E560DF1E3B80

OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
So that is 100% achievable.

I’m an Android user and so don’t have (or need) CarPlay BUT I do have Apple Music.

When I got my Taycan 16 months ago I simply followed the Porsche instructions for linking my pre-existing Apple ID to my Porsche Connect ID. This then added two options into the PCM Media section - Apple Music and Apple Podcasts.

Access to playlists etc then becomes accessible.
I skipped the free period as I already had an Apple Family / One subscription.

in advance of collecting your car create your Porsche Connect ID if not already done so. Next go to the section in the web site to link your ID with your Apple ID.

Visit the My Porsche website where you create your Porsche Connect ID. A list of Porsche Connect services should be listed one of which will be Apple Music. Follow the instructions. Job done. Then when you log into your PCM and go to media the Apple content will be displayed.

Screen shots should help.

C27FC19B-E5D6-40BD-8882-98327A0C2D9E.png

DAB8C18C-E989-45ED-B17C-94765E61D731.png

9416E3EA-1AD4-4716-8954-E560DF1E3B80.png
Thanks for that! And just to confirm, I can add playlist to my favorites selections?

Maggie

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne
Country flag
Useful tips! I got what I wanted to know. Before, I downloaded songs with DumpMedia Apple Music Converter and then transferred them to a USB. I usually put a USB on my car for fear of poor internet connection.

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Logging in with Apple ID. Some people feel uncomfortable providing Apple credentials to a system whose security is not well-known.
You're not entering your credentials into the car's system. You just scan a QR code, and this will generate an authentication token that is easy to revoke and authorize your car for Apple Music (and hopefully Apple Music only). At no point does the car see your password.

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes totally. So you're saying that if I don't link my Apple Music account to PCM that I can nonetheless access Apple Music within Apple Car Play through the Media app? I really want to believe that, but it just seems so illogical.
How is that illogical? When you play through Car Play, you just hear what your phone plays. The car does neither know nor care if that comes from Apple Music on the phone, or any other app on your phone.
Sponsored