Apple vs Android

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
Discussion irrelevant of your car I think.

My personal feeling: Stick with Android. The hardware is good anyway you go in the flagship phones, but from a software point of view Android has surpassed iOS and the difference is getting bigger.
Sponsored

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Android Auto is not supported by Porsche and most likely never will be due to Androids vehicle data sharing requirements for a license - Apple Carplay is supported and is pretty nice - it might be a reason to consider Apple.
Although, interestingly, the VW Group has licensed Android Auto for the ID series... and Porsche sells an upgrade radio with Android Auto in it. So who knows - as the other post says, depends on what customers do. I don't think the data sharing thing is the big blocker.

I'll tell you one issue I have with an iPhone 12 Pro Max - while it fits in the Qi charge slot, I don't think the coils line up properly, and it either doesn't charge *or* doesn't chage *and* overheats if you do anything significant with it. Kind of annoying...

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Although, interestingly, the VW Group has licensed Android Auto for the ID series... and Porsche sells an upgrade radio with Android Auto in it. So who knows - as the other post says, depends on what customers do. I don't think the data sharing thing is the big blocker.

I'll tell you one issue I have with an iPhone 12 Pro Max - while it fits in the Qi charge slot, I don't think the coils line up properly, and it either doesn't charge *or* doesn't chage *and* overheats if you do anything significant with it. Kind of annoying...

If Porsche does eventually fully support Android Auto, I wonder if AA could be added as simply as Taycan PCM software upgrade or even FoD.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
If Porsche does eventually fully support Android Auto, I wonder if AA could be added as simply as Taycan PCM software upgrade or even FoD.
auto makers usually embrace one system or the other, I don't know of any manufacturer that offers compatibility with both apple or android

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
auto makers usually embrace one system or the other, I don't know of any manufacturer that offers compatibility with both apple or android

Our Chevrolet Volt (and I think all GM cars) support both AA and CarPlay.

Reactions: Dee

pEAkfrEAk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S [MY2022]
Country flag
Not really. VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat, Lamborghini, Bugatti etc they all offer Apple Carplay AND Android Auto. Means AA is already inside the company, so why does only the Porsche brand just offer Apple CarPlay only. It doesn't make any sense to me.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So perhaps I'm an outlier here.

I totally look for cars connected to CarPlay before I consider buying them. The move to Apple Maps driven navigation is so powerful that at the Lexus dealer they now have "Navigation" as an option separate from the display, and lots of cars on the lot w/o navigation.

Personally I love keeping my contacts separate on the phone and not on the car, and being able to hear and respond to messages safely through the audio CarPlay interface.

Just say'in ...
You're not an outlier. I don't have the source on-hand but there was a recent study that showed over half of car buyers consider Apple CarPlay or Android Auto a must-have when shopping for a new car.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Given how much the ID "os" looks like what's in the Taycan's PCM, my guess is it would be easy if they actually wanted to do it.

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
Not really. VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat, Lamborghini, Bugatti etc they all offer Apple Carplay AND Android Auto.
Mercedes also. I'm a huge Android Auto fan looking to make the jump to the Taycan. The interface is pretty important to me because I only use Spotify and Pocketcasts. And WAZE. Definitely Waze. Having to use the phone on a mount is such a bummer.

Net net, it would very likely cause me to jump from Samsung to Apple if I get the new car.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Mercedes also. I'm a huge Android Auto fan looking to make the jump to the Taycan. The interface is pretty important to me because I only use Spotify and Pocketcasts. And WAZE. Definitely Waze. Having to use the phone on a mount is such a bummer.

Net net, it would very likely cause me to jump from Samsung to Apple if I get the new car.
I think this is precisely what Porsche & Apple wanted to happen - this tight collusion is not by accident!

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag

I see the phone on the mount as a positive!

Extra screen real-estate that can be used seperate from the car (eg Porsche Satnav for range prediction and waze in paralel for fastest route and cops or phone for sports game on television or whatever).

90% of the stuff you do via the phone works better directly on the phone anyways.

My opinion: keep your android phone, get a Brodit Proclip and use the extra possibilities! ? ?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Not sure I'd chose a phone based on the car I drive ?
Exactly! Too much work to move to a new platform for too little advantage in the car. At the end, you might get a phone holder on the dash anyway. Even the simple bluetooth connection to the car is dodgy.

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Been wrestling with this also as I am not going to give up my Android phone. For me, while not a complete workaround, I have an older unused iPhone 8 laying around. I'll use that one WiFi only with WiFi fed though my Samsung's hotspot. CarPlay should work fine for Waze and Spotify.

I doubt this arrangement can be configured to allow phone calls in through PCM however....

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
I see the phone on the mount as a positive!

Extra screen real-estate that can be used seperate from the car (eg Porsche Satnav for range prediction and waze in paralel for fastest route and cops or phone for sports game on television or whatever).

90% of the stuff you do via the phone works better directly on the phone anyways.

My opinion: keep your android phone, get a Brodit Proclip and use the extra possibilities! ? ?
Yves, this is actually a very valid point. Thx. I hadn't though about it that way. I'll look into the proclip that is mentioned pretty widely on this forum. Looks like a very nice mount.
Sponsored