Autobahn high speed consumption is good

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I was pleasantly surprised during a day trip into Germany yesterday during which I cruised at 180-200km/h (where possible) and in freezing conditions that consumption was only on average c. 290Wh/Km (that’s roughly 2.1 miles per kWh of my math is correct). Our car is a CT4 on 20” and with pzero winter tyres.

roughly half of the time was spent at high speed, the rest at 120km/h where restricted. This consumption figure is barely higher than what I experienced during warmer weather. The battery settled at a moderate 33 Celsius in normal mode, which meant we didn’t need to pre-condition for charging stops as it was always warm enough. We’d plug in and immediately get 200-230kW.

by comparison, a previous ipace that we owned would average 330wh/Km at 150kmh, and combined with slower charging made progress laborious.

I’d be curious to see what high speed consumption figures other EVs get. Any references?

I know Taycan gets some critic for not being very efficient in everyday driving, however its high speed consumption is great
Sponsored

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
That looks quiet good, think it would be good to see figures for comparison on a related EV, only type I can think off would be a Tesla model S. Entron GT is too close to the Taycan.

Last edited:

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
Taycan was designed in germany for german roads, not surprising. the 2-speed transmission allows better efficiency at high speeds.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Having recently completed about 500 km on the autobahn in a Turbo S – on the same tyres – we saw an average of 32 kWh/100km at the same 180-200 km/h speeds you reported. This was running in Sport Plus mode.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
IME 140km/h or 80mph is the cutoff for “optimal” consumption per time ratio. Recent trip to Canada: official stats say 2.1mi/kWh at an average of 45mph, but I stayed most of the time around 80mph with no visible drop in range. That is, it didn’t seem to matter whether I was crawling in traffic through Vancouver, or blasting up and down Hwy 99. This was in near-0*C, with a roof box, 20” all-seasons. Based on prior calculations, the roof box has a 6-9% impact on consumption.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
On my first road trip in a Turbo CT, there were section with 80mph limits where I could cruise 80-100mph for most of the time between chargers (~120 miles/200km stretches). I got about 2.1 miles/KWh at somewhat above freezing, slightly less when actually freezing (under 32F/0C), horribly less when starting with a cold-soaked, frozen battery (arrived at next charger at probably 5%, vs. car's original estimate of 35% SOC, even slowed down for the last 15-20 miles too to make it) - to be fair, the car was brand new so probably way too optimistic in its estimates, and I think I hit a headwind for a good portion of that stretch, all clear weather thouhg. On Goodyear UltraGrip1 tires, off-road-design wheels.

PS> My car is still recalibrating its estimates. After the initial 3,500 mile trip, 85% yielded 168 miles estimate, it's now up to 172 miles at 85% SOC, even though it's parked outside in the cold for now and I've been doing mostly short trips. 🤞

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
IME 140km/h or 80mph is the cutoff for “optimal” consumption per time ratio. Recent trip to Canada: official stats say 2.1mi/kWh at an average of 45mph, but I stayed most of the time around 80mph with no visible drop in range. That is, it didn’t seem to matter whether I was crawling in traffic through Vancouver, or blasting up and down Hwy 99. This was in near-0*C, with a roof box, 20” all-seasons. Based on prior calculations, the roof box has a 6-9% impact on consumption.
I've put together some calculations that show optimal driving speed that minimises total time for a given distance for Taycan. Will start another post and show results there

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
From my experience driven many other EV previously. My conclusion is Taycan has much better consumption in the highways than in the city like ICE.

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I've put together some calculations that show optimal driving speed that minimises total time for a given distance for Taycan. Will start another post and show results there
I have started the thread on optimal driving speed here

driver69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S 2021
Country flag
So I was going 250kmh and it averaged 60kwh/100km. I don’t think that’s too good 😂
Sponsored