Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari 360 spider, Jaguar I-pace, VW Karmann Ghia
Country flag
I own both an Ipace and a Taycan, and the Ipace drives as well as the taycan does.
regarding the battery, I don't know the source of your info but it isn't very good data. regarding regen in the taycan, it is minimal.
I won't say not to get the taycan but I will say that you're not getting all that different of a car with the taycan.
Thank you, I very much value your thoughts. I'm honestly delighted with the I-pace and it's ironic that it's the first car I've bought where I figured I'd get rid of it if I really didn't like it....so my surprise it was quick, handles well and it a gem to drive.

The thing is, we need another EV (want another EV) and I'm just not very fond of the bland interior of the Tesla and the Audi doesn't quite do it for me. I'm want something a bit unique and I'm blatantly combining 2 factors into this: you only live once and I can afford the price tag....may as well. I'm just a bit concerned that the storage capacity and more visceral experience may not make for a practical daily driver. In all honesty, if the new Ford Bronco came as an EV, I'd be all over that. I still own my Hummer H2 and I'm frankly not interested in another big/wide hard-to-park vehicle. Not finding much else on the market at this point. Ironic that the Taycan will cost me twice as much as the Jag but I suppose it's frankly pointless to try to rationalize a purchase of this sort. I guess these are good problems to have, as the saying goes. Best I get my butt into a Porsche dealer and see what this thing is all about. Could I get some feedback along the lines of how worth-it the Taycan is and how much it's a phenomenal vehicle...please.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Taycan is emotionally satisfying in a way no other EV is - you'll be quite pleased.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
There it is, THANK YOU!
I once read somewhere that the chief engineer/designer on the Taycan say - although he had driven every EV available, his only benchmark was the 911.

It had to drive, perform and feel like a Porsche foremost and just happen to be an EV.

And that is what it is.

There is a lot of love for the car on this forum.

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I once read somewhere that the chief engineer/designer on the Taycan say - although he had driven every EV available, his only benchmark was the 911.

It had to drive, perform and feel like a Porsche foremost and just happen to be an EV.

And that is what it is.

There is a lot of love for the car on this forum.
I've heard the same thing, that the Taycan had to perform to Porsche standards and, in fact, that is why they opted not to have one-pedal braking....just so it would seem as similar to the rest of the line-up. Glad to hear so many people are happy with their cars! You think I'm safe getting a 2020 as compared to a newer model? Did they change anything since the release?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I've heard the same thing, that the Taycan had to perform to Porsche standards and, in fact, that is why they opted not to have one-pedal braking....just so it would seem as similar to the rest of the line-up. Glad to hear so many people are happy with their cars! You think I'm safe getting a 2020 as compared to a newer model? Did they change anything since the release?
They made some minor tweaks on each model year and introduced new variants obviously.

But all cars were eligible for the recent uPdate which brought a lot of features in line with current spec.

I would be quite happy getting a used 2020 model personally.

I also think a lot of people prefer the Taycan braking once they get used to it (ex Tesla owners).
But it's divisive (like auto Port covers / Sport Sound / Sport Chrono) and some really like it, some really dislike it, some don't care.

I just bumped this old poll on owner satisfaction for you.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taycan-owners-how-happy-with-purchase.5843/page-10

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I also think a lot of people prefer the Taycan braking once they get used to it (ex Tesla owners).
But it's divisive (like auto Port covers / Sport Sound / Sport Chrono) and some really like it, some really dislike it, some don't care.
prefer is too strong a word for me personally - it has it's time and place as does Tesla's one pedal driving…

Criticism of Tesla - you can not fully disable one-pedal driving
Criticism of Porsche - there is no option to enable one-pedal driving

if we had the full range of "choices" there would be no debate

Tesla is both right and wrong
Porsche is both right and wrong

at the end of the day it's all a software illusion anyways (both cars are heavily fly by wire) - so there would be no issue with both manufactures offering some set of choices in this space.

Personally I miss one pedal driving in stop-n-go traffice and general street driving, but appreciate the "full defeat" option when I'm on track or doing more aggressive driving

as I said "prefer" is too strong a word for me personally - but I understand Porsche's motivations in this space and feel they could easily bury it somewhere in individual settings.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
this one pedal driving debate reminds me of manual vs automatic!! Im old school, so like using the pedals and even 3! To me its the same logic - you have more interaction and control over the car.
Both have their place :)

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
as a driver I liked tesla's one pedal driving, my wife who as a passenger really likes porsche's little to no regen in the taycan.
the regen in the tesla was a bit herky jerky in the higher setting.
Her Ipace seems to have hit the mark with their 2 levels of regen, she is happy with the lighter touch the car has that still does the regen thing.

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There certainly seems to be quite a bit of debate and opinions when it comes to one pedal driving, many people love it, some people hate it and the majority of people fall somewhere in between but either way, I believe having the option would really be the ultimate solution and, as has been pointed out, it's all software so it really should be something the something the driver can decide upon.

Personally, with the jaguar I-pace,, when I'm pushing it through the canyons I find the one pedal approach to be the absolute ultimate so that I can entirely focus on my line and pushing the traction threshold ....but I also have a 3 pedal car and will agree it's a more cisceral experience.

The next best thing to driving these cars is chatting about it, I think we can agree on that

Lekfx

First Name
Lek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3e, e-surfboard, Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Country flag
I just received my Delivery Experience for my GTS, and the Tech had some interesting info I had never seen anywhere. He says that the ReGen is mostly with brake pedal use, as we all know, but this fact was interesting: The brake calipers don’t engage at all with braking forces at or below 1/2-G! (That‘s about 16fps/second) That’s quite a lot, and can deliver a good amount of energy back to the batteries. I figure that “normal” driving very rarely gets above that value. Above 1/2-G the brakes smoothly begin to drag on the disks. Try this: drive where you can stop hard from about 40MPH. SMOOTHLY add brake pedal pressure and feel (or use the G-meter if you have one, I do) and watch/feel the increase in braking force that builds. There is a perceptible increase at one point. That’s the brake shoes squeezing the disks. Cool stuff! My brakes are INSANELY good, especially with this mammoth tires. (Braking ability is as much about tires (and the surface they are on) as it is about brakes) I gave demo-rides to two groups of friends here two days ago, and on BOTH drives there was some Bozo pulling right out in front of me and stopping dead. Emergency braking had me stopping 30’ from contact. Great! And scary as hell!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I just received my Delivery Experience for my GTS, and the Tech had some interesting info I had never seen anywhere. He says that the ReGen is mostly with brake pedal use, as we all know, but this fact was interesting: The brake calipers don’t engage at all with braking forces at or below 1/2-G! (That‘s about 16fps/second) That’s quite a lot, and can deliver a good amount of energy back to the batteries. I figure that “normal” driving very rarely gets above that value. Above 1/2-G the brakes smoothly begin to drag on the disks. Try this: drive where you can stop hard from about 40MPH. SMOOTHLY add brake pedal pressure and feel (or use the G-meter if you have one, I do) and watch/feel the increase in braking force that builds. There is a perceptible increase at one point. That’s the brake shoes squeezing the disks. Cool stuff! My brakes are INSANELY good, especially with this mammoth tires. (Braking ability is as much about tires (and the surface they are on) as it is about brakes) I gave demo-rides to two groups of friends here two days ago, and on BOTH drives there was some Bozo pulling right out in front of me and stopping dead. Emergency braking had me stopping 30’ from contact. Great! And scary as hell!
You can see/feel for yourself.
On the default (or at least it was on mine) centre screen there is a power meter around the speed display. You can see how much power is being recuperated, and feel the deceleration due to it, on this display.
Sponsored