Battery life

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
back in the day when I had my first ev, a leaf, which had around 75 miles of range there were the EV nerds who would try to hypermile, I think one guy got 125 miles out of his car but he never went faster than 18mph. I suppose some people get their jollies doing nerdy things like hypermiling.
I bought the taycan for it's performance. if I wanted to travel less enthusiastically a camry would do.

Bingo.

Give me near 200 miles and the ability to drive 90mph for that distance and I am good. So far the Taycan can handle that in warm weather and nothing affecting aerodynamics.
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
back in the day when I had my first ev, a leaf, which had around 75 miles of range there were the EV nerds who would try to hypermile, I think one guy got 125 miles out of his car but he never went faster than 18mph. I suppose some people get their jollies doing nerdy things like hypermiling.
I bought the taycan for it's performance. if I wanted to travel less enthusiastically a camry would do.
I owned a 2016 Camry for DD...... not for long. ?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I certainly get it. Hopefully, you have a charger at home. That makes all the difference in the world. It is less than 150 miles from Naples to Miami and there is a EA charger in Key West. Forget range, my man, and drive that car like it was designed to be driven!!!!
Oh yes - 14-50 NEMA in garage

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I owned a 2016 Camry for DD...... not for long. ?
those are some great cars, reliable, low maintenance, low cost cars. each of my sons owned Lexus IS 250/350 which I enjoyed the couple of time that I drove them, but they are not the semi super cars that porsche puts out

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Agreed. It worked for me when I needed it due to other circumstances and I got back 95% of what I paid when it was deleted from the stable. I'm an enthusiast and need to DRIVE!

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
You forgot turning off all heat, no seat heat, putting on a coat and gloves, all to get an extra 8 miles on the Leaf! Ah those were the good old days of “range anxiety….”

I kind of feel like that guy who says “in my days we used to walk to school at 5 am” when I talk about the early EV days. Now its about whether you get 210 or 270 miles of range. But I STILL miss my Leaf, it was a cute little car.

ilsaair

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S, 1989 560SL, 2020 Range Rover Velar
Country flag
I just took my 21 Taycan 4S on a 2,500 mile road trip from Boca Raton, FL up to Ohio and back. I have the standard battery, and 21" aero wheels. Cruised the entire trip at 85-90 mph. This is a very natural cruising speed for the Taycan - very comfortable at that speed. I stopped only at EA sites for charging.

My typical range was about 180 miles - or about as long as I can sit without needing to stretch my legs. Typical charge time was 20 minutes.

A couple of very important things to remember:

1. When you go to an EA charging station, make sure you get at least 200 kwh initial charging rate. If you see something like 50 kWh, immediately stop, call the EA toll-free number, and have them reset the charger. I had to do this quite a few times. Many of the machines are not used to Taycan's and will not charge as fast as they should

2. Avoid all other charging sites. You could sit there for 90 minutes to charge at some of the slow sites

3. The Porsche intelligent range manager is pretty good but I had to ignore it a couple of times. It tried to send me to some of the slow charging sites. If you're on an interstate use your phone to search for a Walmart or Sam's Club along your route. Make sure you check to see if the Walmart or Sam's Club has an EA charging site - not all of them do

4. On one leg I did drive until the car said I had 12 miles of range. Worried me a little but I knew I was going to a EA site.

Yes you can turn the drive control to "range". It will limit how fast you can go and will also adjust your AC to maximize range. I bought the Taycan because it was a Porsche, not a Tesla. I want to go fast and I want to be comfortable

Don't be afraid to take the Taycan on a trip. Just do some homework. I downloaded the "ABRP" app which gives you a second opinion on where to stop for charging.

ENJOY

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good info Barry. For my out of state trips I plan to use plug share if I get into a jamb. Hoping the car's GPS will get the job done alone.

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
If in doubt, your dealer can perform a battery test to see what is the actual battery life. The taycan has a battery warranty schedule, requiring minimum %life
Sponsored