Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I have reached higher tempereatures and just noticed while going thru the photos that at 55°C the turtle appeared. The temperature drops with the charging rate … I had no problem as I went to 99%… my next Ionity charger was far and uphill …
Porsche Taycan Battery Temp A3C31AF3-351F-4D2A-924B-E15C3E899DCD
Porsche Taycan Battery Temp E8EC6CA5-5609-4C96-87F9-6995A48CA1E4
Porsche Taycan Battery Temp 405FFE65-2301-414F-BE53-EB3D657BB146

RichardPB

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT Gentian Blue /retired AR Quadrifolio
Country flag
Used Porsche Nav with charger options on so battery pre-conditioned I assume prior to arrival at Ionity ? Never seen my battery temp this high is this right?

Porsche Taycan Battery Temp bat1

Porsche Taycan Battery Temp bat2

Runestone

First Name
Sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I had this interesting relation between outside temp and battery temp after a 20 min drive yesterday (the -1.5 was about correct).
Porsche Taycan Battery Temp IMG_0680.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I've never seen battery temperature below +3Celsius... even if outside temp during the night was down to -5.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So I guess if one wants to take advantage of the fast charge option you pretty much have to use the navigation and plug in and use that to condition the battery to take advantage of the charge rate.

Do you think the navigation and the precondition program is sophisticated enough to decipher whether you are heading to a fast charging station or just a regular one.

I’m wondering if it only preconditions the battery if you’re heading to a fast DC charge one?
When selecting a charging destination and the NAV recognises it you will be able to see details on that particular charging point - kW etc - so 'yes' it will know. Pre-conditioning will occur when any recognised charging destination is entered either as your destination or as a stopover. The trick here is to trust that the charge point is in the database (many are not).

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've been following this with interest to see if there's a way I could reduce my charging times at DC stations. Many of them in our urban area are nearby enough that driving there is inadequate to warm up the battery for a real >120kW initial speed even with <20% battery.

Recently I turned the car on, programmed the DC charger into the nav, and let the car sit with heat on and parked in the garage for an hour. When I went back, the battery temp was unchanged. It seems like it only warms up when I'm driving.... :(

Needless to say the pre-cool/warm function doesn't do anything other than climate control.

So no way to pre-condition the battery, it seems?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I've been following this with interest to see if there's a way I could reduce my charging times at DC stations. Many of them in our urban area are nearby enough that driving there is inadequate to warm up the battery for a real >120kW initial speed even with <20% battery.

Recently I turned the car on, programmed the DC charger into the nav, and let the car sit with heat on and parked in the garage for an hour. When I went back, the battery temp was unchanged. It seems like it only warms up when I'm driving.... :(

Needless to say the pre-cool/warm function doesn't do anything other than climate control.

That's what I've been saying here for a while now and on other posts!

Either do it as you tried (but actually drive as you don't know how quickly it would heat up) OR drive it like you stole it in Sport Plus.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Do you have an EVSE installed in your garage? I guess not since you want to drive to a HPC and charge.
But if you have an EVSE the battery will precondition and heat up a bit if you Seth a departure time with preheating. You might hve 20 C if you depart. And if you then set the HPC as the destination you should be able to see even higher temperatures on the battery at arrival. Works great.

Norfolkporsche

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Turbo S
Country flag
I’m having a mini road trip in the UK, and thought I would experiment with setting a charging stop en-route via the navigation system to see how much it would pre-heat the battery.

I did the same trip from home to IONITY in Peterborough (76 miles) in mid-January. The outside temp was -1 C and I didn’t use the navigation - just turned up. The battery temp was 12 degrees, and the car would only charge (on a 350 kWh charger) at 50 KWh.

Today, with IONITY set as a charging stopover, the battery temperature climbed from 12 C when I left home to 47 C when I arrived at the charging station. The outside temperature was 9 C. I was at 64% state of charge when I arrived and the car started charging at 166 kWh immediately. By the time I’d been to the loo and walked back to the car, it was at 95%.

So, it does make the charging quicker if you pre-heat the battery, the only down side is the electric consumption increased from 38.5 kWh per 100 miles to 45 kWh per 100 miles as the battery was pre-heating.

Porsche Taycan Battery Temp 9BA5C939-8AF5-4D8F-9FAC-F0F94E363BF5

Porsche Taycan Battery Temp BD1D33D7-C079-4DC3-81C3-4EA77989F8D1

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’m having a mini road trip in the UK, and thought I would experiment with setting a charging stop en-route via the navigation system to see how much it would pre-heat the battery.

I did the same trip from home to IONITY in Peterborough (76 miles) in mid-January. The outside temp was -1 C and I didn’t use the navigation - just turned up. The battery temp was 12 degrees, and the car would only charge (on a 350 kWh charger) at 50 KWh.

Today, with IONITY set as a charging stopover, the battery temperature climbed from 12 C when I left home to 47 C when I arrived at the charging station. The outside temperature was 9 C. I was at 64% state of charge when I arrived and the car started charging at 166 kWh immediately. By the time I’d been to the loo and walked back to the car, it was at 95%.

So, it does make the charging quicker if you pre-heat the battery, the only down side is the electric consumption increased from 38.5 kWh per 100 miles to 45 kWh per 100 miles as the battery was pre-heating.

9BA5C939-8AF5-4D8F-9FAC-F0F94E363BF5.jpeg

BD1D33D7-C079-4DC3-81C3-4EA77989F8D1.jpeg
Yes this is how it is intended to work but there are trade-offs as you've indicated.

The big issue I have is to find ultra fast charging locations which are recognised by the Nav system in the Taycan. My local 350kW is 'unknown' to Porsche and so whilst I can navigate there it doesn't trigger preconditioning and so left to the EVSE to heat up the battery to increase throughput which defeats the purpose in my book. The max I got yesterday was 101kW @ 32C - started at 44kW @ 5C.