Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I read somewhere that these open vents have a measurable impact on the drag. Which translates to increased range. The 19 inch base wheels are also more aerodynamic than the 20 or 21 inch wheels. Cheers!
As stated in another thread, the closed vents improve the drag.
Sponsored

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
I read somewhere that these open vents have a measurable impact on the drag. Which translates to increased range. The 19 inch base wheels are also more aerodynamic than the 20 or 21 inch wheels. Cheers!
Actually, according to the Porsche website, the range is slightly better with the 20" Turbo Aero wheels compared with the 19".

BruceF

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Odd that the description of the product is not aware of why vents are closed. It says the Turbo S and Turbo has it closed. That is not correct. The vents are closed if you have the power charge port. The Turbo S always has the power charge port so is always closed. But the rest of the Taycan range will only have the vents closed if you order the power charge port door.

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I'm on the fence with those since I did not order power ports. PPF quote is $800 for both front doors. Mesh idea is ok until a pebble/rock gets through a hole and smashes the paint.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
As stated in another thread, the closed vents improve the drag.
I get that someone posted in another thread that closing the vents improved drag. However, clearly the bodywork is styled to make a vent behind the front wheels possible. Why would Porsche design for a vent opening that would INCREASE drag? OTOH, if the opening behind the wheel is intended as just some sort of design flair, and having it closed off improves aerodynamics, why wouldn't they block the vent on all Taycans and not just the ones where the powered flap hardware gets in the way?

Doesn't make sense to me, unless the vent has a positive effect on aero.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsche is a little unclear on the effect of the vents and which vents they are talking about. There are several on the front of the car. It seems to say the vents in question reduce air turbulence and combined with aerodynamically refined wheels - air resistance as well. The other vents reduce drag when they are closed. It also talks about the vents being used for brake cooling but unless you are on the track, the brakes aren't going to get very hot.

So the effect looks minor unless you are on the track. I think the powered flaps are kind of neat, but then its probably just something else that will break.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Porsche is a little unclear on the effect of the vents and which vents they are talking about. There are several on the front of the car. It seems to say the vents in question reduce air turbulence and combined with aerodynamically refined wheels - air resistance as well. The other vents reduce drag when they are closed. It also talks about the vents being used for brake cooling but unless you are on the track, the brakes aren't going to get very hot.

So the effect looks minor unless you are on the track. I think the powered flaps are kind of neat, but then its probably just something else that will break.
It makes sense that the openings in the front valence would improve aerodynamics when closed; the e-Tron has a similar powered system as do other vehicles.

Since this thread was about the wheel arch vents, though, that's what my comment was about and I'll stand by my assertion that having those vents closed probably wouldn't improve aero and would more likely have the opposite effect.

Too many vents!

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
It would not seem this car really needs air vents for the brakes. I do race my Corvette on tracks, but cannot imagine taking this car on a track. When we aren't on tracks I imagine unless we are canyon carving 95% of braking is done by the motors in recuperation. Recuperation will brake up to .39 G's Beyond that the old school brakes are also used. I have motorized doors.

This car has the lowest CD of any factory P.

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
The vents are there to reduce high pressure in the wheel wells and to help the air curtain. This is common practice on many modern cars nowadays, and generally not considered up for debate.
The result is lower drag and less lift (ie: more downforce) at high speeds. You can read that as a range improvement in higher speed driving.

okkotonushi

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Porsche 992S, Genesis GV60
Country flag
Closed doesn't make sense due to aero

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I also have read the wheel vents are for break cooling. Probably not needed unless you are breaking a lot on a track and because regen breaking reduces mechanical breaking.

I think the automatic charge ports are “neat” but I’d definitely skip them if I could. Not enough gain, some loss, and boy I’m waiting for them to fail every single time...

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I also have read the wheel vents are for break cooling. Probably not needed unless you are breaking a lot on a track and because regen breaking reduces mechanical breaking.
Vents behind the wheels in the fender, post brakes, will do nothing for brake cooling. The fender vents are strictly for aero improvement.
Sponsored