BOSE Delays

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
So there is only one lock date and therefore any changes can be made from point of order and deposit through to lock date.
Not in my experience. My freeze date moved several times - once in advance (as in locked -> unlocked) but all subsequent revisions were in the past (today - n days -> today - n + k days, 0 < k < n).
Sponsored

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I’m in the US and just confirmed with my dealer that my build will still have Bose….my freeze date was only a week ago 9/23. I don’t know if I should believe him, how is that possible?
++
My dealer said the hold on Bose is for 718 only - this is as of Wed 9/28. Locked builds won't be affected, either.

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
Well the TotallyEV video review of the Burmeister was interesting, I learned something I didn’t know: there’s no multi-band equalizer, just a disappointing treble/base control.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Well the TotallyEV video review of the Burmeister was interesting, I learned something I didn’t know: there’s no multi-band equalizer, just a disappointing treble/base control.
Same for Bose - they've both been pre optimised in an anachoic chamber by some classical music conductor we've never heard of!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Are you saying you're not planning to charge your Taycan with premium electricity?
But of course. I plan to use special rare magnets mounted strategically on a very special platinum plated titanium pyramid in which I will place a genuine Porsche EVSE. This will ensure all the electricity is cleansed and conditioned by aligning the electrons with the gravitational flux of the Earth and the Moon prior to entering the electron tank in the Taycan. This guarantees purest power, least battery degradations (due to unaligned and/or dirty electrons), and therefore smoothest acceleration at any speed. :cool:

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
There’s different speaker counts between the 3 sounds systems I understand. Does that mean the door panels and other trim pieces around the Taycan interior differ between systems? I.e. if one ends up with base sound, then one is stuck with only the base speaker locations and wiring, correct?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
There’s different speaker counts between the 3 sounds systems I understand. Does that mean the door panels and other trim pieces around the Taycan interior differ between systems? I.e. if one ends up with base sound, then one is stuck with only the base speaker locations and wiring, correct?
There are more speaker drivers if you go up the range.
Both Bose and Burmester use space under the boot floor for a subwoofer.
There are grilles on the "A" pillar with the Burmester system, presumably for tweeters at ear level, never a bad thing.
Not sure if the actual drivers are different where they are common locations and the "upgrade" is electronics and a few other drivers or whether the drivers are different too.

FWIW I happen to know VW group did a thorough engineering job to tool for a speaker driver with excellent characteristics so it didn't cost a mint per unit to manufacture.

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There are more speaker drivers if you go up the range.
And the quality differs.

Bose speakers body is made of cheap plastic and cone is paper but the subwoofer is a very cheap driver with small magnet and weak bass. Overall it sound decent but not for a 100k car.

Burmester speakers are made of aluminum and textile cone, but the tweeters are AMT which produce a crisp sound. Much better and powerful subwoofer.

In my Panamera I swapped the Bose subwoofer speaker and it made a big difference.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes. On other Porsches the wiring is absent where there might be speaker grills and the trim will be different in some cases. I expect it would be the same on the Taycan.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
FWIW – this has been my subjective experience. I currently have a Taycan 4S with Burmeister and am moving to a Taycan Turbo S that comes with BOSE as standard.

I originally spec'd the Burmeister because I had BOSE in a Panamera and was very disappointed with it.

However, the Burmeister is an expensive option – and I was trying to keep my TTS spec to budget and keep it as stock as possible.

So I created a playlist of 8 songs that I am very familiar with – each with various type of music I enjoy: classical, female vocal, trance, pop, rock, etc. All using Apple Music lossless and downloaded to my iPhone.

I planned to play it using CarPlay which provides a fully lossless CD quality experience up to 48kHz. I wanted to take 5G streaming delays out of the equation, I'm still not 100% sure the internal Apple Music player in the PCM streams the lossless audio files and I didn't want to have to use my Porsche ID to log into the Turbo S (that isn't mine).

I then went up to my Porsche Centre, parked my car beside a Turbo S and listened to the 8 songs in my car (on the Burmeister). I then immediately sat into the Turbo S and listened to the same playlist.

My initial observations were:
  • The BOSE in the Taycan is much better than it was in the Panamera. Though, maybe thats also because the audio sources (Apple Lossless) is better than I had available to me in the Panamera.
  • To my ears, the default Burmeister audio options sounds best, but with BOSE I had to activate the "surround sound" option – to achieve the optimum playback.
  • This surprised me as I normally don't like over processed sound – but with the BOSE it seemed to be required.
  • I could easily tell the BOSE and Burmeister apart. The Burmeister has much better instrument separation – especially on classical music.
So in a quiet car park outside my Porsche Centre – sitting listening very actively to the different stereo options – I could appreciate the difference. But, it was a much smaller gap – to me – than I was expecting.

However – and this was the clincher – I then drove the same route – involving suburban traffic in Dublin, M50 motorway, rural-ish roads around the back of Dublin Airport – in both cars – playing the same playlist again.

This time, with the ambient outside noise, with traffic, with concentrating a bit on driving – with the realities of using a car in its normal environment the sound differences effectively disappeared.

Both sounded perfectly good - I like to play music at an average volume – when on a road-trip – and I knew that I'd be happy with the BOSE.

If the Burmeister was a €1,000 option – then maybe – just to "get the best possible" – I'd tick the option again – but its not – its expensive and in the reality of a car environment and how I'll use it – its not worth it.

And I much prefer the Burmeister brand, name, more exclusiveness and it's less well known so people will have less "opinions" on it.

I'm happy to be moving from Burmeister to BOSE.

Note: My 4S with Burmeister has the laminated acoustic glass option and the loaner Turbo S did not.

Last edited:

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I originally spec'd the Burmeister because I had BOSE in a Panamera and was very disappointed with it.
Yes, Bose in my Panamera is disappointing, reason why I'm hesitant getting it in my future Taycan but you say its much better in Taycan.

I guess the Bose amplifier is better than before but speakers are the same from what I see by part code. Speakers are easy to swap with Burmester or aftermarket and sound will improve.

Most used Taycans come with Bose, but if I find one with standard sound then its easy to upgrade with premium speakers and amp for a third Burmester price that even sound better.

The Burmeister has much better instrument separation – especially on classical music.
I guess the AMT tweeters are responsible for that and two more tweeter in the a-pillars.

My 4S with Burmeister has the laminated acoustic glass option and the loaner Turbo S did not.
Does laminated glass make it quieter at high speed? I think thermal benefits are more obvious than noise.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I guess the Bose amplifier is better than before but speakers are the same from what I see by part code. Speakers are easy to swap with Burmester or aftermarket and sound will improve.
I think so. I also suspect that the lossless codec's I can now stream easily from Apple Music helps. I've a hunch the Bose DSP/amplifier prefers/needs higher quality music sources.

On paper the Burmeister is so much more impressive. 1200 watts amplification, 21 speakers made of much more robust construction, 2.5 square meters of diaphragm's.

But, like with all class D amp's – it will rate down the power when not at high volume. And in an EV – you need that – pulling that many watts out of the 12-volt battery would require frequent charges and genuinely reduce range.

I usually listen to music between PCM volume 8 and 12 – with 14 or 16 if I'm really enjoying/listening and not in a demanding driving situation.

Nowhere near the max these amp's can put out.

However, if you do turn up the Burmeister – like you might do in a cheap Hi-Fi shop demo – that's when the Burmeister weaknesses really come to the fore.

It sounds awful at high volumes.

The speakers squeak and rattle and vibrate in the doors – really badly. Its not a problem for me as I'd never listen at those volumes – but with the way the speakers are installed, the lack of dampening, etc – the Burmeister simply can't deliver on its promise.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
So does anyone actually know if it is just being removed as an option on cars where it is not standard or if it is also being removed from those where it is standard spec? How much of a hit would you take selling a Turbo or Turbo S in 3 years with the basic sound system When Bose is supposed to be standard?
Sponsored