BOSE System Surprised me!

violuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 RWD
Country flag
The initial "Bose Box" came out when I was in college - it was basically a 901 with a cassette deck built into the top of it. My rooming group got one and the thing I'll always remember about it was cranking MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech on his birthday with the windows open and seeing people stop to listen from hundreds of yards away. The sound carried like no other.

Then, a year later, we met a guy who had a summer job interning there, and he got us invited to this employee auction where they sold damaged products. A roommate and I each bought a pair of 10.2s that I think retailed for about $1400 at the time for $50 a pair. There was some cosmetic cabinet damage, but they functioned great, and with four of them we basically had small nightclub-level sound for dance parties in a dorm setting. I gave my set to my parents when I moved to Japan, because they were just too heavy and inappropriately dominant for tiny Tokyo apartments.

I tell these stories primarily to demonstrate that I'm not a Bose hater by any stretch of the imagination, but many years later a friend who runs a stereo enthusiast 'zine quoted a little zinger rhyme that stuck with me: "no highs, no lows, must be Bose". Perhaps this is related to what you're observing with that "linear" option.

I've always felt that Bose really excels at relatively consistently filling space with enjoyable sound, which can be viewed as either a plus or a minus, I guess, as it tends to trade off imaging - where you can hear the hi-hat as being "just over there" if you're sitting in the sweet spot - for having a more balanced listening experience anywhere in the room.
Sponsored

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
IMO the Bose in the Taycan is just OK. My last vehicle had a Harman Kardon system that actually was maybe the best I’ve had for a vehicle sound system. Coming from that to this BOSE is MEH. But now I’m used to it and I didn’t buy the car for the sound system so it’s not a huge issue for me.
Interesting I had an HK system in my last BMW and that was awful, by comparison the Bose in the Taycan is vastly superior.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The best sound is whatever makes the listener the happiest. I like to feel bass vibrate through my body, other people hate that. Personally, I scoop out the mids by cranking up the lows and the highs but I know there are plenty of people who would despise the way that sounds. I really dislike the way “linear” sounds in this car.
I was referring to the guys that use the equipment to tune the sound technically. They say that to get the cleanest most dynamic sound out of Bose is linear on, surround off. Surround washes out the details, though I agree it gives the sensation of depth, which most people like, dynamic range be damned.

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
The only situation that I would check linear is if there were some oddly base-heavy source. Maybe a talk radio with an odd base drone in the background. Linear will cancel that out.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The only situation that I would check linear is if there were some oddly base-heavy source. Maybe a talk radio with an odd base drone in the background. Linear will cancel that out.
Talk radio is a good way to check for accuracy. If linear sounds better on speech and your favoured setting sounds bass heavy on speech that almost certainly means you prefer bass overemphasis over accurate on music.

Which is OK of course, your preference!

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I generally set the audio once when I get a new car, and then just forget about it.

For me, it's a bit like wearing scent/fragrance. You notice it at first, then your brain gets used to it and you don't really register it any more.

On the back of this thread, I might have a look at my Bose and have a play round.

Last edited:

Teufel Hund

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo IGM
Country flag
Interesting I had an HK system in my last BMW and that was awful, by comparison the Bose in the Taycan is vastly superior.
Mine was in a Jeep TrackHawk. Maybe different equipment and definitely more space makes the difference? Not sure but mine was actually very good.

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Posting this because I just figured this out and thought maybe someone else needs to see it! I got my car almost 3 months ago and almost immediately, I hated the BOSE system. It sounded flat with little bass using Apple Music through Carplay. I drive by a well known stereo shop on my way home everyday and everyday I've considered pulling in and getting them to check it out for options. But I know me. If I get them to look at it, I'll get an estimate, and then a week later I'll pull the trigger. I've held off for now but the call has been getting louder.
Anyways, I was playing with it the other day and found that when I press the BOSE button, everything was "checked". The specific options are "Surround" "Linear" & "Surround True." I unchecked them all and turned up the bass to +3 and shit, it made the system come alive! Sounds completely different and I actually have bass in the car now!
Like you, I have been finding the bass in the Bose system to be a little underwhelming. I'm not an audiophile and I listen mostly to hip hop and rap music, so I want a good bass hit in my music.

I have all those options unchecked and still, don't feel the bass to be that great at +6. This weekend I was doing some research and found a few pointers to improve the sound quality in the car:

1. Instead of using Apple Carplay or Android Auto, stream your music from your phone as a Bluetooth source. The quality should be a bit better.

2. Get the Poweramp Equalizer app. I'm not sure if they have it available for Apple but they do for Android. This app will allow you to better tune your music and it will make a difference.

I'm probably still going to do what you were thinking of. I already reached out to an audio shop to swap out the sub and maybe even look at upgrading the tweeters and mids.

24Neptune

First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Porsche Taycan RWD, 2024 Audi SQ5 Prestige
Country flag
BOSE a little disappointing coming from B&W Diamond Surround system in the BMW 8, but I knew that going in and I’m thinking eventually I’ll forget how good B&W sounded LOL.

We also have an Audi SQ5 and I think the B&O is better than the BOSE. More crisp and clear, but still powerful.

I have both Linear and Surround off. To me Linear muddies up the sound, especially the bass. I’ll give Surround on a try, but seemed too tinny when I tried before although maybe with a little more bass or less treble. I know I’m not done playing with it for sure.

24Neptune

First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just saw a thread questioning possibility of upgrading Bose subwoofer to Burmester and it called to mind that in BMWs with HK where B&W is also an option, it’s possible to unlock the B&W equalizer/settings. Not sure if Burmester has equalizer, but if so, would be nice to unlock that for extra tuning of Bose sound.

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
I have Burmester and had a base Taycan with Bose as a loaner for a couple of days. Burmester is vastly superior, it is just a question as to whether you value the difference at £3k. I do as I look forward to listening everyday, but others will not. Burmester has never rattled the doors - so I would suggest to anyone that has this issue that they should have the service center take a look.

24Neptune

First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, I’m sure Burmester sounds great, just as the $3.4k optioned B&W is off the chart amazing in an 8 series. Although more affordable overall given the flagship BMW options are not as overpriced as Porsche’s.

I was fishing for anyone who might know if unlocking settings is possible or may have already done that? Although seems like coding in the T is not an easy thing yet.
Sponsored