Budget decisions: Taycan 4S

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
A few questions :) Do I need PDCC & PTV+ to take the car on tracks. I've never done this and wonder if that's a good idea with a 4S. The Porsche sales person doesn't think I'd experience PDCC + PTV+ if I'm not driving super aggressive or racing (BUT) that is not what I get from members here. The Taycan PDCC vs Cayenne/Panamera would be different for sure. Or does the car drive better (city/highway) ? I could take these 2 options for $2990 and drop Park Assist and ACC. If the drive is significantly better, I'd pick performance over the tech package any day. But if I won't see the difference in performance then I'd rather get the tech package. Would PDCC make for a less bumpy ride on NYC city streets ? and does PDCC has an effect on range and tire's life. although I like the fanciness of ACC, I've never used cruise control in any car I've had.

Last Q: Insulated glass (city and I-95 noisy highway) ? worth it or not. Mainly for the sound. Not for the temperature control as I could always use a film. Is a double glass safer or more dangerous. In a ICE car, the double insulated glass won't shatter so the passenger doesn't get thrown out (safer). But that got me to think about an electric car and in the case of a fire, where if the doors are locked, the only way out would be through glass (which in the case of insulated -> you pretty much can't break). Would love comments on the safety of having it or not having it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Be careful about the replies here. Those who do reply will tell you that every option you are considering is a “must have” and that they wouldn’t buy a car without it ?
I know that’s been the dilemma ?

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Did anyone get a 4S w/ premium and tech package both but left out performance package. Only missing (PDCC & PTV+) in performance package as the rest I have added.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
A few questions :) Do I need PDCC & PTV+ to take the car on tracks. I've never done this and wonder if that's a good idea with a 4S. The Porsche sales person doesn't think I'd experience PDCC + PTV+ if I'm not driving super aggressive or racing (BUT) that is not what I get from members here. The Taycan PDCC vs Cayenne/Panamera would be different for sure. Or does the car drive better (city/highway) ? I could take these 2 options for $2990 and drop Park Assist and ACC. If the drive is significantly better, I'd pick performance over the tech package any day. But if I won't see the difference in performance then I'd rather get the tech package. Would PDCC make for a less bumpy ride on NYC city streets ? and does PDCC has an effect on range and tire's life. although I like the fanciness of ACC, I've never used cruise control in any car I've had.

Last Q: Insulated glass (city and I-95 noisy highway) ? worth it or not. Mainly for the sound. Not for the temperature control as I could always use a film. Is a double glass safer or more dangerous. In a ICE car, the double insulated glass won't shatter so the passenger doesn't get thrown out (safer). But that got me to think about an electric car and in the case of a fire, where if the doors are locked, the only way out would be through glass (which in the case of insulated -> you pretty much can't break). Would love comments on the safety of having it or not having it.
Fwiw: nyc streets are terrible, they will kill the ride. IMHO the car is not a track car, so building the car for track days should not be a priority. I would skip the insulated glass and get the windows tinted and lastly get both the tech and performance packages

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

PDCC should improve the ride on poor surfaces because it can disconnect the ARBs when there is no lateral load.
I too am considering it but haven't decided. I am definitely going for PTV+ though. We don't have option packages here in the UK so no idea what they contain.
I shan't ever do a track day in the car so my choices are based liking the technical parts based on my Formula 1 experience and may not be logical for my actual sort of driving!
It is easy for me to choose suspension and driveline choices knowledgeably, not much good at seeing anything cosmetic as anything but a waste of money...

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
Did anyone get a 4S w/ premium and tech package both but left out performance package. Only missing (PDCC & PTV+) in performance package as the rest I have added.
That is how nearly every dealer-spec 4S is built: premium, sport chrono but no perf. Tech package isn't really anything you need to experience first-hand IMO. The tech package is all stuff that's cool, perhaps more useful than you'd expect, but is by no means must-have. If I were in your shoes, I would probably drop tech and add perf.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I have a 4S with Premium and Performance packages. The car drives amazingly but I cannot comment on how it would be without some of the performance adds.

I don't have the insulated glass though, and I still find the car to be quiet and serene, so I wouldn't consider that a Must Have. I'm not aware of any significant safety-related differences. I'm a big fan of the ACC, but less so of Innodrive. If you can get Active Lane Keeping without Innodrive I might recommend that.

As for Park Assist, is that the 360 camera or the auto-park? If it's the latter, I would skip it. If it's the former, I have it, and the 360 camera is cool and all, but overall it's a pretty poor implementation of a reversing camera as countless threads have noted. I don't know what you get if you don't spec Park Assist however.

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I just confirmed my build. In the end, I've gone with the performance package. I left out Park Assist as I still get the surround view as part of the premium package. I didn't get the tech package because I love the design of the curved display without the hood and I'm not a big fan of HUD. Lastly, went with the double pane insulated glass. )I blame the architect part of me for the splurge on the aluminum rhombus and the noise insulated glass) :)

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
I built my car with the Premium package, 18 way seats, Mission E wheels, heads up display and a couple of other things - I would have to look at my build sheet to list them all. I chose not to purchase the Performance package - not really 'against' it but I just did not see where I would use it on 'normal' but spirited street/highway driving. These cars are so capable right out of the box that I just did not see the value in the Performance package. Just me. Some people do see the value in rear wheel steering for tight parking turns, etc. but even though the Taycan is a fairly sizable car I have not had a problem parking...................or sliding the back end around on some pretty aggressive cornering.?

TayFan

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Audi A7, Mercedes ML350
Country flag
I went opposite, got performance package and zero tech package. I’m not waking the lines of wanting to manage and drive my car versus have it help me do it all. Different camps, both valid.

TayFan

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Audi A7, Mercedes ML350
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I just confirmed my build. In the end, I've gone with the performance package. I left out Park Assist as I still get the surround view as part of the premium package. I didn't get the tech package because I love the design of the curved display without the hood and I'm not a big fan of HUD. Lastly, went with the double pane insulated glass. )I blame the architect part of me for the splurge on the aluminum rhombus and the noise insulated glass) :)
We’ll done, IMO! Enjoy!

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
I have the premium and performance package with the PDCC and PTV+ and i enjoy it a lot, with no tracking of the car. Just everyday driving is so sharp and responsive in turns, just doing things like driving around obstacles, making u-turns or parking is so much easier with it, let alone when you get on some fun twisty roads. Dont know much about the potholes, used to live in NY but i’m a country bumpkin now in AL so our potholes dont compare (they are just more likely to have possums living in them instead of rats ?). The air suspension does handle bumpy roads pretty awesomely tho. You‘ve already made your decision tho and I think you will not be sorry. Enjoy!

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
I have the premium and performance package with the PDCC and PTV+ and i enjoy it a lot, with no tracking of the car. Just everyday driving is so sharp and responsive in turns, just doing things like driving around obstacles, making u-turns or parking is so much easier with it, let alone when you get on some fun twisty roads. Dont know much about the potholes, used to live in NY but i’m a country bumpkin now in AL so our potholes dont compare (they are just more likely to have possums living in them instead of rats ?). The air suspension does handle bumpy roads pretty awesomely tho. You‘ve already made your decision tho and I think you will not be sorry. Enjoy!
Thanks for the insights and it makes a lot of sense. Initially I read a lot of people saying that you don't need the performance options if you don't track, but that seems ill-informed. I'm glad I chose the performance options. My sales agent said, performance options and extra range are two things, no one will ever regret.
Sponsored