Buy now…..or wait?

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I understand the psychology of wanting to wait, but while you wait life is passing you by. If money is a real concern, buy a less expensive car. If money isn't the real issue and instead it's more opportunity cost anxiety, then you're always going to have opportunity cost anxiety - it's just going to take a different shape, I suspect. Now that our weird upside down bubble is over and these are being seen as quickly depreciating assets, those that have made a substantial investment in them will feel like they've made a bad investment. If the investment was one of dollars and cents, it was always going to be a bad one as all $100k+ saloons depreciate quickly... at best you can hope to have a less steep curve in the way of older 911s and have something remaining after 5-10 years. But if you're truly worried about losing money, buy a Camry and put the extra $70k in equities.
Sponsored

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Dear all Taycan owners, advice needed please….I’m due to take imminent delivery of a CT4 which was ordered 16 months ago (and initially indicated as a 12 month wait). The car has (finally) been built, but has been sitting in Germany pending resolution of the heater QC issue (as one of a “batch” of Taycans). I’m now faced with 2 options:
1. Accept the car and open myself up to all the issues the unfortunate many have experienced. Also, after such a delay it’s now a 3 year old model and apart from the ongoing quality issues, the expected hit in residual will be much larger compared to option 2.
[...]
After waiting so long thus far, I’m reluctant to take delivery of a car that has a 1980’s Peugeot-esque electronics reputation.
Let's see:
- 16 months order puts it around ~Oct '21, so an MY22
- unclear from the above if the car was _just_ produced (so you're getting an MY23/new car) - let's assume so

How did you conclude this would be a 3 year-old model? It's possibly a 4 year-old _design_, but a 0-year-old _car_. It will/should be as up to date as can be, so you're not opening yourself to any past issues that have been addressed - batteries, software updates etc.

I'm not touching the residual, as that's a time-of-(re)sale issue, as well as one of peering into the future.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Peugeot made cars equipped with high voltage heaters in the 80s. Still, assuming we're only comparing reputations thereof: if you think so lowly of the MY22/23 Taycan quality, it's unreasonable to think they'll vastly improve it in another 10-12 months. (Either it's a problem, or it isn't.)

Reactions: B61

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
Let's see:
- 16 months order puts it around ~Oct '21, so an MY22
- unclear from the above if the car was _just_ produced (so you're getting an MY23/new car) - let's assume so

How did you conclude this would be a 3 year-old model? It's possibly a 4 year-old _design_, but a 0-year-old _car_. It will/should be as up to date as can be, so you're not opening yourself to any past issues that have been addressed - batteries, software updates etc.

I'm not touching the residual, as that's a time-of-(re)sale issue, as well as one of peering into the future.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Peugeot made cars equipped with high voltage heaters in the 80s. Still, assuming we're only comparing reputations thereof: if you think so lowly of the MY22/23 Taycan quality, it's unreasonable to think they'll vastly improve it in another 10-12 months. (Either it's a problem, or it isn't.)
Well said
Maybe let somebody else have the car as for sure plenty would love to jump the queue for what is a truly fantastic car nothing further to add really

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Lotus Eletra (unproven EV6 & Lamborghini love child).
I was tempted-ish as a long term replacement for my X, but yeah as said unproven.

Also I think it’s strictly a 4 seater which would kill it for us.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Price increases on way, mid year it seems

“We will see significant price increases in the middle of the year for the new model year. That will help a lot to make sure we make strong group operating margins,” Meschke said.
Happened during my wait too last year. That’s just par for the course.

blulite

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Don’t take it. I just sold mine. It was a fantastic driving machine and a beautiful car. But best case I would consider it a “beta” version as far as the software and EV aspects of the car. Top it off with a dealer network and customer service team that is not equipped to deal with this car. I’m not sure the refresh will fix the problem, but I would not buy the current version of this car.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don’t take it. I just sold mine. It was a fantastic driving machine and a beautiful car. But best case I would consider it a “beta” version as far as the software and EV aspects of the car. Top it off with a dealer network and customer service team that is not equipped to deal with this car. I’m not sure the refresh will fix the problem, but I would not buy the current version of this car.
What have you replaced it with?

Alfred77L8

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan2021
Country flag
Buy new than buy old, for so long I would rather buy individual

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
What have you replaced it with?
Reading between the lines maybe you would be happier with a Nissan Leaf

• Haha

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
One word: take it.
Ok, two words :angel:
it’s fantastic car, not just head turner, it’s overall state of the art, best in the market.
I’m sure thst you’ll love it.

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Well said
Maybe let somebody else have the car as for sure plenty would love to jump the queue for what is a truly fantastic car nothing further to add really
The 993 is one bad ass car, and it’s 35+ years old , lots of people would choose it over a new 911

OP
OP

Porker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, VW T5, Macan
Country flag
I think this is an integral part of the problem for me - the Taycan (nor any other EV) cannot become a true classic in the traditional sense, as the passage of time would necessitate battery replacement. How many 993’s would still be on the road if the engine required replacement after (minimum) 8 years? Or accept an ever rapidly decreasing power/range performance thereafter…
We’re all on here as we are fortunate enough to be able to throw £100k & over at a car, but if I’m truly honest it sits somewhat uneasy doing so at a point in time when car design is undergoing the biggest upheaval in its history. Accordingly the rate of improvement over the next 5 years will be far greater than that for ICE vehicles over the last 20 years. Still, as many of you kind folk have pointed out it’s obviously a damned good car. Just not as good as it could/should be….and quite possibly proved so by the soon-to-arrive next version.
Sponsored