Buying a high mileage Taycan Turbo - thoughts?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Not really on topic but when I reviewed the pics of my ready to collect car, my SA sent me last Thursday, I was shocked I could see the battery was at 99%

So not even dealerships respect the 85/ rule. I certainly will albeit... Well now the car already has a 100% charge on it and it's sitting at the dealership until tomorrow 😭
Mine was at 99% when I picked it up.
It has only been 100% twice since, at the beginning of the only 2 journeys I have done where it was worthwhile.

Enjoy your pick up day!
Sponsored

OP
OP
andb

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If it had a spec I want I wouldn't think twice. personally.
The spec of this Taycan Turbo is what I would spec as new, Chalk interior, PDCC, HUD, Burmester, Insulated glass.

Once it hits the showroom I only have to check the battery SoH and the optical condition.

I wonder if a porsche extended warranty would also cover the battery (once that much longer standard warranty) has expired. Might make 8 year old Taycan's (when the time comes) a bit tricky.
Since Porsche attaches great importance to heritage, there will certainly be an offer for the Taycan for a new battery pack at a very reasonable price.

We have 2 plug-in hybrid Priuses at the moment, one 11 years old, which has lost about 10 to 15% of EV range from new and the other 5 years old which still does almost the same on a charge as when new so close to no loss.
My 6 years old Panamera Hybrid still does 35km on electric mode, when new was probably doing around 40km but I took care of the battery, no parking at high SoC over a long time, always & always recharge when empty.

So I must find out how the battery of the Taycan was handled up to 70.000km.

Ciprianbadic

First Name
Ciprian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD PB+
Country flag
My PB+ RWD MY2022 shows 91% SoH from obd reader at 39.000km. 300kW fast charges only a handful of times per year. The rest is 150 kW and AC22 kW. But from my research, it shows that its not accurate since my car is not even 2 years old and not 50.000km driven.

OP
OP
andb

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Quick question, which Taycan is a better deal:

2021 Turbo: 95k Eur 73k km: https://finder.porsche.com/de/de-DE/details/porsche-taycan-turbo-gebraucht-DV7LME
2021 Turbo S: 120k Eur 32k km: https://www.dasweltauto.at/vehicle/11124160
2020 Turbo S: 120k Eur 26k km: https://finder.porsche.com/de/de-DE/details/porsche-taycan-turbo-s-gebraucht-4KKG2E

Is it worth paying 25k euro more for the Turbo S?
The Turbo has double mileage but I think it will depreciate less in 2 years of ownership.

What you guys think?

Last edited:

specialmn

First Name
MN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3P
Country flag
Quick question, which Taycan is a better deal:

2021 Turbo: 95k Eur 73k km: https://finder.porsche.com/de/de-DE/details/porsche-taycan-turbo-gebraucht-DV7LME
2021 Turbo S: 120k Eur 32k km: https://www.dasweltauto.at/vehicle/11124160
2020 Turbo S: 120k Eur 26k km: https://finder.porsche.com/de/de-DE/details/porsche-taycan-turbo-s-gebraucht-4KKG2E

25k euro price difference but Turbo has double mileage.

What you guys think?
Obviously it depends on what you value in terms of specs, but I’d probably go with something in the middle: <110k Turbo with less than 40k. It’s already incredibly fast and the range is better.
From your options and if money is no object thank obv Turbo S with 23k. Maybe if you propose something like 115k they’ll accept it. I had a 97k bid accepted for a turbo listed at 104k

OP
OP
andb

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Spec wise, I prefer the silver Turbo with Chalk interior, its got every options I want, Burmester, PDCC, HUD, acoustic glass, only drawback is the higher mileage.

I'm not a fan of Atacama beige with gold trim in Turbo S. The other TS is Chalk beige with carbon trim I like more.

If Taycan facelift brings many improvements over the current one I expect a higher price drop for Turbo S, selling at around 90k in two years, and 80k for the Turbo but mileage will be near 100k km for this particular car which sounds a lot to me.

Oakhome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'65 S-Type; '06 325; '20 Taycan; '18 991
Looking forward for your thoughts.

Prices have crashed, 91kEUR seems to be along the lines of what I've had offered for my 2020 Taycon Turbo. It had pretty much all options specced, good and pointless.

It's done 42k km, so in that regard it seems overpriced.

At the moment there are way too many 2nd hand Taycans on the market, and demand for new ones are down. Use that to your advantage.

OP
OP
andb

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Indeed, Taycans are not selling until dealers cut a the price seriusly. My Panamera TS Hybrid looks like it holds better.

I'll push 90k for the silver Turbo although dealer said 95k is best they can do with new tires, windshield, brakes and 1 year warranty.

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I read the thread and ordered an OBDII reader, hope they will allow me to use it but I think the Porsche dealer should give all the data without issues.

I thought that might be better to get a higher mileage Taycan because the battery was used continuously.

There are some 2020 Taycans with 10k miles which seems like they sit a lot not driven.

I read that battery loses capacity even when not used.
I have a 2020 with 10,000 miles and my battery is 96.25% with some DC charging in CO

OP
OP
andb

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Received the battery SoH of Taycan Turbo at 73000 km that I'm interested buying, its 90%.
The degradation is not excessive. I think I'm gonna buy it.

Porsche Taycan Buying a high mileage Taycan Turbo - thoughts? Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 5.07.40 PM

DS29

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Received the battery SoH of Taycan Turbo at 73000 km that I'm interested buying, its 90%.
The degradation is not excessive. I think I'm gonna buy it.

Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 5.07.40 PM.png
hi @andb
Just wondering how you got on with this in the end ? I hope you are now the happy owner!?
90% SOH for 73,000 km seems reasonable vs data I have seen on this forum.
I am in a similar position currently looking to purchase and wondering if you have any tips for buying a relatively higher mileage used Taycan?anything you would recommend to look out for or have you had any issues since purchase?
I have already requested SOH read from the dealership for one I am looking at.
thanks in advance

OP
OP
andb

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hey @DS29, I bought the Taycan in August, it works fine, no suspension issues or rattles, just more stone chips on front bumper due to higher mileage. I think it has same issues like the new cars have, slow app connection, sometimes key not detected error shows up although I think my keyfob is faulty, PCM only froze once.

The initial SoH dropped from 90% to 87% over 4k miles but I guess its because of lower winter temps. But SoH also goes down with time, I tested a 7k miles 07/2020 Turbo S that had 89% SoH.

The most important thing is to get the PAW, surprisingly mine never had the heater replaced so I'm waiting for heating failure at some point.
I looked for well maintained interior, options that I like and price. For me mileage is less important unless I need the maximum range and then I'd go for a 4S.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Electric motors are far simpler than IC engines and don't have lubricant degrading hot spots so the mechanical side of the Taycan should be as good or better for long mileage than any other Porsche.
I just wanted to add to this, most electric motors I work with either use sealed bearings that are never serviced or, if not sealed, then minimal greasing (like 2 pumps/year). The only other maintenance is cleaning if exposed to a dirty environment to allow heat to dissipate.

Edit: replacing brushes is another one, if applicable, which could be the case even if the motor itself doesn’t use brushes. For example, if it’s necessary to ground the rotor, a brush may be used for that, but it may or may not be easier to just electrically isolate the rotor in that case as well.

Failures are usually limited to either manufacturing defect (which typically happens early on) or over temperature (which usually also happens early on do to something being setup incorrectly in the control, wiring, or protection). There are exceptions, of course, but this is what is typical.

I’ve personally seen electric motors that have been running 20+ years near 24/7, only stopped for maintenance on other equipment.
Sponsored

Last edited: