Preferred Charging Times Being Ignored?

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Wondering if anyone else sees the inconsistency that I do with profiles. The car charges to the correct target SOC, but charges at random times outside of my 12-6 preference.

I have one timer, set to 8AM daily, 80% target, and 70F. That works, the car is at 81% at 8AM and is 70F.

The problem is no matter which profile I choose, general or location based, both with preferred times 12-6, the car appears to be charging outside those times. The minimum charge is set at 25%, and car wasn't anywhere near that. Here are some examples:

Porsche Taycan Preferred Charging Times Being Ignored? 1622728972046

Porsche Taycan Preferred Charging Times Being Ignored? 1622728877098

Car is a 2020 with WMA5/7 done. Any thoughts? I get off peak pricing 11PM-6AM, but don't want the car to be preconditioned till I get in at 8AM. Not sure if that's the problem?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It may be that the graph is wrong - mine is always 6 hours behind the actual time and there is no way to configure (time zones are all correct).

I charge 12 - 7 which I know works but the graph shows something else entirely.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I am seeing the same bug and have reported it via the customer support email.

My Preferred charging time is 8pm to 3pm the following day to avoid the 3pm-8pm peak rates. I plugged in at 4:45 expecting it to wait and it immediately started to charge.

Porsche Taycan Preferred Charging Times Being Ignored? 5D97FEAC-4101-4527-9BCF-4D4906069CD3

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag

My Preferred charging time is 8pm to 3pm the following day to avoid the 3pm-8pm peak rates. I plugged in at 4:45 expecting it to wait and it immediately started to charge.

5D97FEAC-4101-4527-9BCF-4D4906069CD3.jpeg
I have the same issue as well.

OP
OP
smohr33

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Thanks guys, at least I don’t feel stupid now. Hopefully a software update will address this.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag

5D97FEAC-4101-4527-9BCF-4D4906069CD3.jpeg
Since I don’t see AM/PM and I do so a leading zero, should 3pm be 1500?

edit: I see PM now on the top with a leading zero. Hmm. I use a timer for 4:55am to get my car to charge between 1-5am.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Use two timers and don't bother with preferred charging times or a profile - just clear the checkbox for the general profile to make it inactive. This works great with time-of-use rate plans.

One timer should be configured for 6am (the end of your low rate electricity) with charging enabled and with preconditioning enabled as well. Then use a second timer for 8am. You can turn off the preconditioning on that first timer, but there will be some residual heat in the battery and hopefully some heat/cool in the cabin so that the second precondition timer uses less electricity to precondition than it otherwise would have needed. You should turn off charging on that second timer (so it's only your preconditioning timer).

Last edited:
OP
OP
smohr33

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Use two timers and don't bother with preferred charging times or a profile - just clear the checkbox for the general profile to make it inactive. This works great with time-of-use rate plans.

One timer should be configured for 6am (the end of your low rate electricity) with charging enabled and with preconditioning enabled as well. Then use a second timer for 8am. You can turn off the preconditioning on that first timer, but there will be some residual heat in the battery and hopefully some heat/cool in the cabin so that the second precondition timer uses less electricity to precondition than it otherwise would have needed. You should turn off charging on that second timer (so it's only your preconditioning timer).
I’ll give that a try. Thanks

OP
OP
smohr33

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
So I did what was suggested by @NC_Taycan , no profile and just timers for 6AM and 8AM. And it worked, until it didn't!

The car didn't start charging till 4AM, and charged to 80% SOC right around 6AM. Great!

But then it randomly continued charging after 6:30AM until I realized and cancelled it after 7AM. Was at 85% with no signs of stopping before I killed it.

Porsche Taycan Preferred Charging Times Being Ignored? 1623071689993

Maybe I need to set the 8AM timer as charging also to an 80% target so it doesn't keep charging?

Porsche really over complicated this!

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Absolutely agree. It took me quite a while to make sense of it!

My goals were simple, based on Tesla life:

- Charge to 85% daily
- Limit charging to 8pm->3pm to avoid our peak energy costs 3pm-8pm.

It is now doing what want, by:

- Adding a timer set to 85% charge for 7AM departure, every day
- Adding a location-based profile called "Home" with 25% minimum and the 8pm-3pm window

It doesn't start charging immediately at 8pm; it charges when it calculates it needs to in order to make the departure time. Weird but ok.

If I were rethinking this, I would suggest making all this timer/profile nonsense hidden behind an "advanced" checkbox, and simply put a slider for charge level and an optional time window to charge in.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So I did what was suggested by @NC_Taycan , no profile and just timers for 6AM and 8AM. And it worked, until it didn't!

The car didn't start charging till 4AM, and charged to 80% SOC right around 6AM. Great!

But then it randomly continued charging after 6:30AM until I realized and cancelled it after 7AM. Was at 85% with no signs of stopping before I killed it.

1623071689993.png

Maybe I need to set the 8AM timer as charging also to an 80% target so it doesn't keep charging?

That's strange. Once the 6am timer is satisfied, the next timer would become active (which should be your non-charging, precondition only timer). Indeed maybe setting that as a charging timer as well is what is needed. I've had good success with my approach but I don't need/use the second timer for pre-conditioning, just one to finish charging by the end of more expensive electricity...

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I think the precool/heat is for the interior cabin, not preconditioning the battery.

The intent seems to be to have it at just the right temperature at your timer-defined departure time. (I shut this off as I don't want A/C water all over the garage.)

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Let me try and attempt to simplify this profile/timer craziness:

Timer: Sets a desired charge level and departure time. Optionally, sets the cabin temp.
Profile: Sets a minimum charge level, and optionally, a desired charge time frame.

You want to set up both.

The car will always charge to the profile minimum when plugged in, immediately.
It will stop once it achieves this, then resume at a time of its own choosing (honoring the time frame if set) in order to reach the desired charge level by your departure time.

OP
OP
smohr33

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
I'm going to do just the 6AM timer tomorrow which I believe will work well enough for my purposes.

OP
OP
smohr33

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
As
Let me try and attempt to simplify this profile/timer craziness:

Timer: Sets a desired charge level and departure time. Optionally, sets the cabin temp.
Profile: Sets a minimum charge level, and optionally, a desired charge time frame.

You want to set up both.

The car will always charge to the profile minimum when plugged in, immediately.
It will stop once it achieves this, then resume at a time of its own choosing (honoring the time frame if set) in order to reach the desired charge level by your departure time.
As you can see from my OP, my profile/timer combos were causing charging at random times, outside of what I specified. I understand their purpose, and how they "should" work in combo, but my reality was a haphazard charing schedule. Very likely a bug.
Sponsored