Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
yeah, I'm buying through a company. I don't need the 100% corp tax offset for new so I'm considering used too and offset for corp tax over the lifetime. There is a caveat that should corp tax get lower in the next parliament offsetting 100% now would be beneficial. More things to think about - as if the Porsche option list wasn't enough!
I don't see any likely govt dropping it now (though I think they should).
Sponsored

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
For sure, but these guys have had the car since 2022. They are selling it at a loss now, but their actions suggest they are very desperate. I share that to the community to help in others' negotiations. I don't think this is a good Taycan market.
Bought a 2021 Turbo with 3,600 miles on it 5 months ago for $50K under MSRP. I agree with others on this thread... grind the dealer and stick to your guns.

OP
OP

Jupeman

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 GT3, '09 Cayenne Turbo S, '14 Cayman, '16 GT3
Country flag
Dealer hit my bid. He's effectively dropped every day as I just sat around sticking to my original number.

For those noting any absence of details:

MY20 Turbo S
~6,100 miles

The options that cost money on the build sheet:
21" Taycan Exclusive Design Wheels with Carbon Fiber Aeroblades
Fixed Panoramic Roof in Glass
Adaptive Cruise Control
Steering Wheel Heating
Interior Accents in exterior color
Seat ventilation
Intelligent Range Manager
150Kw/400 DC Charger

Out the door (including tax/title/tag) $85,740 under MSRP with 3 year CPO (so 4 years and, practically speaking, unlimited mile warranty).

To a previous point it is hard to know what the original owner actually outlaid in cash (or lease/financing) to buy the car in the first place. I am also not entirely sure how to value the CPO as I'm told the first two years cost ~$3k and the extra third year is another $3k (starts to indicate what Porsche's actuaries think...).

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Dealer hit my bid. He's effectively dropped every day as I just sat around sticking to my original number.

MY20 Turbo S
~6,100 miles

Adaptive Cruise Control
Steering Wheel Heating
Seat ventilation
150Kw/400 DC Charger

Out the door (including tax/title/tag) $85,740 under MSRP with 3 year CPO (so 4 years and, practically speaking, unlimited mile warranty).

To a previous point it is hard to know what the original owner actually outlaid in cash (or lease/financing) to buy the car in the first place. I am also not entirely sure how to value the CPO as I'm told the first two years cost ~$3k and the extra third year is another $3k (starts to indicate what Porsche's actuaries think...).
Seems like a killer deal… well done!

Post some pics once it’s yours.

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag

MY20 Turbo S
~6,100 miles

Adaptive Cruise Control
Steering Wheel Heating
Seat ventilation
150Kw/400 DC Charger

It is a good deal and you won't have a major depreciation issue going forward If i had to guess. $8K+ carbon fiber Aero wheels is consistent with my suspicion, you can write off 50% of their value the moment that car left the dealership brand new.

Separate from everything mentioned before (Discounts over MSRP back in 2020, Tax breaks etc) this is the main reason why the depreciation linearity going forward won't be nearly similar: You are still likely paying 6-digits for a 3 year old car. That is a crazy concept for the 99% of the population out there and there are only small number of people who would be comfortable & financially capable of doing that. Going forward is a different story. Because guess what, there is an ARMY of people (mostly guys) out there, who look at a Taycan, get mesmerized by the 911 looks, design, imagine how it drives which brings back their childhood dreams etc etc, and simply dream of having one (I see many of those stares every single day I drive the Taycan 4 years after its introduction). Now a 6 digit price tag is still out of their reach (for great majority of them), but when you start talking about pricing say at something like ~$70K handle, you will be tapping into the relatively "tick" portion of the normal distribution curve. When an AVERAGE boring new car is costing $46K today, paying something like 50% more to full-fill your life-time dream? Does not sound like a horrible idea eh? Every 10K further deprecation from 6 figures would increase the dreamer target addressable group at a disproportionate rate (8X 10X 20X you name it). And make no mistake that ARMY is not staring at your Cayenne or even a Panamera. Bottom line, my speculation: your "falling knife" is about the hit the countertop and not going to fall to the floor. (And if for some reason I am wrong you can really get these things for $40-50K in few years, I am starting a business and will be renting them out for $200/day in Vegas and will make a lot of money).

Last edited:

OP
OP

Jupeman

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is a good deal and you won't have a major depreciation issue going forward If i had to guess. $8K+ carbon fiber Aero wheels is consistent with my suspicion, you can write off 50% of their value the moment that car left the dealership brand new.

Separate from everything mentioned before (Discounts over MSRP back in 2020, Tax breaks etc) this is the main reason why the depreciation linearity going forward won't be nearly similar: You are still likely paying 6-digits for a 3 year old car. That is a crazy concept for the 99% of the population out there and there are only small number of people who would be comfortable & financially capable of doing that. Going forward is a different story. Because guess what, there is an ARMY of people (mostly guys) out there, who look at a Taycan, get mesmerized by the 911 looks, design, imagine how it drives which brings back their childhood dreams etc etc, and simply dream of having one (I see many of those stares every single day I drive the Taycan 4 years after its introduction). Now a 6 digit price tag it is still out of their reach (for great majority of them), but when you start talking about pricing say at something like ~$70K handle, you will be tapping into the relatively "tick" portion of the normal distribution curve. When an AVERAGE boring new car is costing $46K today, paying something like 50% more to full-fill your life-time dream? Does not sound like a horrible idea eh? There will be plenty thinking that in the "bell shaped distribution" which is not linear but tail-light/medium heavy. 10K further deprecation from 6 figure would increase the dreamer target addressable group at a disproportionate rate (8X 10X 20X you name it). And make no mistake that ARMY is not staring at your Cayenne or even a Panamera. Bottom line, my speculation: your "falling knife" is about the hit the countertop and not going to fall to the floor. (And if for some reason I am wrong you can really get these things for $40-50K in few years, I am starting a business and will be renting them out for $200/day in Vegas and will make a lot of money).
This was great and is pretty much how I've been thinking about it. I was looking for others to give their viewpoint, really of today, but the future view like this is helpful, too.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

MY20 Turbo S
~6,100 miles

Adaptive Cruise Control
Steering Wheel Heating
Seat ventilation
150Kw/400 DC Charger

The price is great, and while I don't want to give you second thoughts, please be award that the 2020 MY Taycan does not support Plug & Charge at EA stations.

Not a huge deal, since you can use a phone app. The bigger deal is to have the On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger (listed above e), since that will allow you to access the Tesla SuC network if and when Taycan's get access.

Nice job holding tight to your offer!

OP
OP

Jupeman

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The price is great, and while I don't want to give you second thoughts, please be award that the 2020 MY Taycan does not support Plug & Charge at EA stations.

Not a huge deal, since you can use a phone app. The bigger deal is to have the On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger (listed above e), since that will allow you to access the Tesla SuC network if and when Taycan's get access.

Nice job holding tight to your offer!
Thanks and understood on plug and charge. As someone else posted in this thread, I will never have had it so hopefully don't know what I'm missing. I can use the app, though I appreciate why plug and charge is nice.

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
Looks like a good deal as long as you are happy with the car and its specs. Better to pay a little more if you have questions with any of those. I would personally try to find a CPO one but you should still have at least one year of warranty left. As far as depreciation goes I fully expect the car to be in the 50-60 range in 4-5 years.

OP
OP

Jupeman

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks like a good deal as long as you are happy with the car and its specs. Better to pay a little more if you have questions with any of those. I would personally try to find a CPO one but you should still have at least one year of warranty left. As far as depreciation goes I fully expect the car to be in the 50-60 range in 4-5 years.
Car is 1 year factory warranty + 3 years of CPO. 4 years, and practically speaking, unlimited miles of warranty coverage. I agree that its a $50k car in 4-5 years.

OP
OP

Jupeman

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

gramorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
You need to put the emphasis on "now". The market changed dramatically. Last October I was offered just about what I originally paid for my Model S on a trade for the Taycan. Considering that the delivery date for the Taycan was a total unknown and I would have had to leave the Tesla at the dealer's immediately a trade-in at that time wasn't really feasible. Fast forward 6 months, Taycan has arrived and I'm ready to sell the Tesla. Market is $60,000. Depreciation from new after 3 years was essentially zero (due to a totally screwy market). Depreciation after 3.5 years was suddenly $43,000. If I look at the depreciation after 6 months for the Taycan I might feel ill - except I'm not selling it right now and damn is it nice to drive. No big surprise for an EV. Not a collector car. Battery degrades. Suddenly there is inventory again. You need to decide if the pricing now seems fair to you. Tomorrow things can and will change. Has the depreciation curve flattened for a 2020 Turbo S? You won't know that until some time in the future. Meanwhile you could be enjoying one very nice car.
I made the decision to ignore depreciation, it’s a cost but it’s a great car, you’ve alrady taken a massive slice off the original purchase price if you can afford it crack on. If depreciation even so worries you, keep the car for 10 years and it won’t matter.
Sponsored