DNADoc

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB S560e
Country flag
Yesterday, I used the NAV System to "Go Home" It displayed 20% charge on arrival. Then 2 annoying things happened...

First the car changed into Range mode by itself and it took me awhile to figure out why I couldn't set the Cruise Control to 75 mph...

Secondly the NAV system kept telling me to exit highway and go to a charging station. Even when I was within 1 block from home it tried to route me to charger.

Annoying, but something I could deal with.

The problem came in the evening when I plugged the car into my Taycan Charger. Everything started off OK but when I checked on progress it showed "charge complete" at 26% charge. I tried unplugging and replugging in the car and even rebooted the charger by unplugging and replugging. No luck.

I left the car plugged in went to sleep. Sometime in the middle of the night it began charging again and is charging now.

I though I would ask the experts. Any thoughts? I have never used any timed charging.
Sponsored

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
There's likely a couple of things going on here. In the nav, you set your target charge at the destination. If the target is 20% and you'd arrive at 5% the nav system will schedule a charging stop and be very insistent if you don't stop and charge. I've found the best way to deal with that is to change the target destination charge when headed home to something under what it will be when I arrive.

blame.latitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, GTS ST
Country flag
I'll wager this has something to do with your charging timers and profiles. Do you have a timer set for something like "85% charge by 5am"?

Check for timers and then check your charging profile and see if there is a minimum charge set. I'll bet its set at 25%.

My theory is based on my own experiences with charging. what I have seen: You plug in with very low charge and the system says 'i must get to 25% at a minimum.' so it does so and then stops when it hits 25%. then it waits until the night to get itself up to your full charge.

In my case I set up my timer to 85% by 5am but i also configured my general profile to have minimum charge to 85%. This was after seeing behavior like you described. So as soon as I plug in it starts charging, but it stops at 85% to respect the timer.

Or, you could just press the 'direct charging' button

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
When you charge at home, ensure that there is no destination active in the nav system.

If the nav system has a destination, and the porsche charging planner is enabled (which is default), then the charging planner may decide that the car has enough charge to reach its destination and terminate further charging.

Normally when this happens you will see a message like "charging planner is active" in the PCM.

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
1) Cancel navigation and it will solve your home charging problem.
2) Set min charge at destination to something very low. 5% for example.
3) Sometimes I have to turn off PIRM (Porsche intelligent range manager) It does annoying things. As for range mode, there is a way to prevent it from limiting speed. Deactivate that and range mode becomes more useable. (This is a separate setting from the range mode max speed).

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
Yesterday, I used the NAV System to "Go Home" It displayed 20% charge on arrival. Then 2 annoying things happened...

First the car changed into Range mode by itself and it took me awhile to figure out why I couldn't set the Cruise Control to 75 mph...

Secondly the NAV system kept telling me to exit highway and go to a charging station. Even when I was within 1 block from home it tried to route me to charger.

Annoying, but something I could deal with.

The problem came in the evening when I plugged the car into my Taycan Charger. Everything started off OK but when I checked on progress it showed "charge complete" at 26% charge. I tried unplugging and replugging in the car and even rebooted the charger by unplugging and replugging. No luck.

I left the car plugged in went to sleep. Sometime in the middle of the night it began charging again and is charging now.

I though I would ask the experts. Any thoughts? I have never used any timed charging.
If I am correctly understanding your description of events then the car functioned exactly the way it is supposed to function. Exceedingly annoying but that's how it works.

First problem: You activated nav. The nav system sees you have 25% set (from memory that is the factory setting) as the min battery level on arrival at a destination. Won't make it home at 25% so it picks a charger on the route. Problem is now that you won't make it to the charger with 25%, and the charger is now a "destination" subject to that 25% setting. To make it to the charger at 25% the car calculates you need to be in range mode at (say) 60 mph max speed. As pointed out above, currently the only way to avoid this is to go into the menu and change the arrival SoC to a very low figure. But now you have to remember to change it back if you aren't comfortable traveling and the car planning to arrive at a charger with (eg) 3%. All the car has to do is ask if you want to ignore the preset arrival SoC. Keep nav working and arrive home without having to deal with nagging for a charge stop.

Second problem: The car always charges up to 25% any time you plug in. 25% is the lowest level you can set. So you arrive at home below 25% and it starts charging, stops at 25% and waits until a timer says it needs to resume. Indicating "charging complete" isn't the best description. "Charging paused" would be better. An assumption on my part is that you have a timer set to be at, say, 85% at 6 AM. Middle of the night, timer kicks in and charging resumes to get you to 85% at the set time.

So #1 is a case of Porsche engineers thinking we're too stupid to make decisions on our own. I get setting a min arrival SoC but please give me the option to ignore the charge planner and not have to kill navigation.

#2 is a more reasonable setting since it's probably good to always have some emergency miles available. Personally I find the 25% too high but am stuck with it. Minor irritation.

I think this explains what you experienced. I could have misunderstood your explanation but you were pretty clear. My explanation should be an accurate explanation of what you experienced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DNADoc

DNADoc

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB S560e
Country flag
When you charge at home, ensure that there is no destination active in the nav system.

If the nav system has a destination, and the porsche charging planner is enabled (which is default), then the charging planner may decide that the car has enough charge to reach its destination and terminate further charging.

Normally when this happens you will see a message like "charging planner is active" in the PCM.
YOU ARE A GENIUS! Thanks, That is exactly what happened. When I started the car this morning the Nav system was on still trying to get me home after charging.

THANKS AGAIN

Buck
Sponsored