Charge for free at EA or save the battery?

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
Here is my dilemma: There is a Walmart 5 minutes away from my home with four Electrify America 150 kw stations always available. I visit there every week to buy water and drinks. Should I charge my taycan every week there for free? Or should I avoid DC charging unless absolutely necessary? If I chose to do the latter, that means I'd have to invest $2500 to install a Level 2 set up at my home (i don't know if I will stay more than 2-3 years in this home) and + pay for electricity. It may sound like I am nickeling and diming here but the real cost difference is signifcant over a 3 year period. (at least $5000 by my calcs). Charging weekly at walmart is absolutely no inconvenience to me based on my driving habits and the fact that I go there anyways. (And I can always top off during the week using my 115V plug if i drive a bit more than ususal). My concern and question is whether the additional strain I would be putting on the battery due to weekly DC charging be worth more or less than the $5000+ savings.
Sponsored

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I charge at an EA station near my house and it’s 150 kW as well. I don’t worry about it since it can take well over 200 kW charge so 150 should be nothing. I walk around the mall to put my steps in for the day so it’s no big deal for the wait.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Here is my dilemma: There is a Walmart 5 minutes away from my home with four Electrify America 150 kw stations always available. I visit there every week to buy water and drinks. Should I charge my taycan every week there for free? Or should I avoid DC charging unless absolutely necessary? If I chose to do the latter, that means I'd have to invest $2500 to install a Level 2 set up at my home (i don't know if I will stay more than 2-3 years in this home) and + pay for electricity. It may sound like I am nickeling and diming here but the real cost difference is signifcant over a 3 year period. (at least $5000 by my calcs). Charging weekly at walmart is absolutely no inconvenience to me based on my driving habits and the fact that I go there anyways. (And I can always top off during the week using my 115V plug if i drive a bit more than ususal). My concern and question is whether the additional strain I would be putting on the battery due to weekly DC charging be worth more or less than the $5000+ savings.
A Jaguar technian recently wrote on here that they hammered a Jag EV around a race track for 200k only charging with DC. Apparently the battery degradation was only 3%. I don't have a charger and supercharge every 2 weeks at Porsche which is 5 mins away.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
150kw charging once a week isn't going to "damage" the battery, especially if you're filling it to 80 something percent.

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am enjoying greatly the EA presence pretty much everywhere on Long Island now....with more chargers coming soon.

It gives me a HUGE satisfaction to fast charge instead of the slow charge at home. It's not really a matter of savings. It just makes me happy to charge fast, to 100% twice a week....I am even taking trips to new chargers, just for the hell of it....

The truth is that the Taycan is such a pleasure to drive, that any excuse will do it.

I also like to help newbies, now that I have figured out all of the tricks to EA chargers. The whole thing may become boring in a while, but for now it's still fun!

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Except while traveling away from home, I only charge using our Level 2 charger. Our special night-time EV rate is ~$0.015 per KW. Even though an EA charger is 1 mile from my home, simply not worth my time waiting there.

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
....My concern and question is whether the additional strain I would be putting on the battery due to weekly DC charging be worth more or less than the $5000+ savings.
It's unlikely that you will experience a very high rate of charge since there won't be enough time to precondition the battery. So I doubt if your weekly top up at Walmart will be detrimental.

OP
OP
Avantgarde

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
It's unlikely that you will experience a very high rate of charge since there won't be enough time to precondition the battery. So I doubt if your weekly top up at Walmart will be detrimental.
Thanks I tried it twice and i do get 90kw+. Takes me from 40% to 80% in ~20-25 minutes, or a quick grocery run..
Sponsored