Best home charger (post-Porsche changes to charging rate)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Thanks for the detail you provided. In my case, with the charger that came free, I don't have to manually reset it to 100% after each charge. It stays at 100% each time.
the PMC+ couldn't be updated by Porsche with software - if they could've they would've…

the supply cable will still achieve temperatures in excess of 140F in normal operation which is un-necessary…

but yeah it you like it you can keep using it.
Sponsored

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Similarly, I decided to take the Porsche NA notice literally and had my electrician verify the specs of what he installed against Porsche requirements. According to the latest bulletin from Porsche its perfectly safe to charge at 100% if you have a NEMA grade outlet installed (along with other specs they provided). So I am sticking with the charger they included in the vehicle, charging at 100%, and having no issues.

I don't understand why so many owners have flocked to third party products.
Be aware that some owners in the forum reported that they only experienced issues with their Porsche EVSEs (running at full capacity) after a year of use. Good luck.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
your understanding is mostly wrong - porsche is wrong and they are deflecting blame on the victim - the specs are necessary because Porsche mis-designed their power supply cable to run hotter than you'd drink your coffee - other EVSE's don't get this hot when running the same charging loads - in fact Porsche is the only EVSE in North America that runs this hot - the spec's mitigate Porsche's requirements to accommodate a product that runs 160F surface temperature in normal operation vs. competitive products that don't get much above 105F or even less in identical situations…

yes if you follow Porsche's specification their power supply cable will no longer melt the NEMA 14-50 socket it's plugged into - but it doesn't have to be that way - competitive products do not stress the NEMA socket as much as the porsche product…

following Porsche's specification does not change the fact that their product runs much much hotter than necessary - it simple means that their poor design will no longer induce failures in other aspects of the system - however if properly designed the porsche product would not have induced those failures in the first place.

also keep in mind it is they who released a tech bulletin and software update that basically nerfs their product to 50% of it's specified rate - and while you can override it - the PMCC will default back to the 50% rate after each power cycle…

personally I prefer an EVSE that runs cooler than 150F in normal/expected operation, doesn't require an indecipherable sticker, and doesn't obtain a surface termperature in normal operation that is considered officially scalding hot if water was the same temperature…

there is no reason Porsche needs their power supply cable to achieve temperatures of 162F in normal operation…other EVSE's that use appropriate wire gauge run much much cooler lessening the likely hood of melting the socket they are plugged into…

but yeah the Hubble NEMA 14-50 socket is ceramic vs. plastic so it can handle 160F+ operating temperatures which the Porsche EVSE commonly achieves in less than one hour of normal operation…so it's a great choice if you to pair it with an EVSE that doubles as a space heater/hot-plate.

Temp Measurements Porsche Charger 2.jpg
All this was missing was a mic drop emoji.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
All this was missing was a mic drop emoji.
while I'll take the rare internet "win" in this case - I believe the poster's original perspective demonstrates the effectiveness of Porsche's communication in this circumstance at pushing their narrative in this circumstance.

Porsche's narrative is:
Our EVSE is not at fault for achieving nominal operating temperatures of scalding 160F (or more) surface temperature - it's the customer's crappy infrastructure that is at fault. So please do not mix/match our excellent high thermal achieving high performance EVSE with your wimp-ass $12 leviton NEMA melty plastic socket - otherwise we can't be held responsible for our powerful and capable and flawless EVSE taxing your wimpy american residential circuit into submission - the NEMA socket melting is simply it's capitulation acknowledging the superiority of the power of German engineering that continues to dominate the world. Your socket melting simply proves you american's can not handle or compete with the glory that is German engineering and do not deserve to be in the same garage with the Taycan or it's flawless EVSE. Our 16 amp NEMA 14-50/6-50 power supply cable has been operating just fine with our 16/32 amp Hybrids and 918 spyder since 2014 [opps that's a 40 amp cable cause we updated the label in 2021 - our bad - honest it really really is a 40 amp cable, the previous labels noting it was a 16 amp rated cable since 2014 were all wrong, just wrong - it always was 40 amps - your label is just a printing error]
Porsche's EVSE Narrative is bit like Apple's iPhone 4 narrative: You're holding it wrong.
Porsche's version 2023: You're plugging it in wrong…

My Narrative is:
Why do none of the alternative J-1772 EVSE's I own never get much above 105F (or less) operating temperature running at identical 9.6 kW load capacities? And why haven't you, Porsche, distributed a new power supply cable better suited for 8+ hour loads at 9.6 kW that will not achieve nominal operating temperatures of 160F+ - why hasn't the cable originally distributed in 2014 for 16 & 32 amps loads with Hybrids and the 918 spyder been upgraded- would the extra $7 in 6 gauge wire makes your $3200 EVSE unprofitable? Vs. competitive products that do the same thing with out excessive operating temperatures for $200 retail? Is there not room in that $3000 margin for 16 inches of high quality 6 AWG cooper wire? Did your engineers miss the fact that EVERY EE engineering table produced since the 1950's shows a predicted temperature rise of 90F delta above ambient temperatures - which might lead to your EVSE being unique in the North American market place in that it doesn't play well with others?
Porsche's mastery of communication and leaning on their long standing engineering excellence reputation has gotten them through this mess - I would venture most of Porsche's customers believe their narrative - I personally find that unfortunate.

Last edited:

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Thanks for the detail you provided. In my case, with the charger that came free, I don't have to manually reset it to 100% after each charge. It stays at 100% each time.
Mine did too for about a year. Then I started getting charging failures overnight. Cutting it to 50% worked again, but pissed me off.

Once I researched what was going on I quickly made the decision to dump it and forget it ever existed. That was one of the better decisions I've made.

Once yours start to fail, my personal recommendation is Wallbox Pulsar Plus. It plugs right into the same NEMA.

And make no mistake, this is not about users running things out of spec. This is about a faulty product that is under-specced for 40 amp continuous use.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Mine did too for about a year. Then I started getting charging failures overnight. Cutting it to 50% worked again, but pissed me off.

Once I researched what was going on I quickly made the decision to dump it and forget it ever existed. That was one of the better decisions I've made.

Once yours start to fail, my personal recommendation is Wallbox Pulsar Plus. It plugs right into the same NEMA.

And make no mistake, this is not about users running things out of spec. This is about a faulty product that is under-specced for 40 amp continuous use.
My experience was identical to this. My PMC+ worked great for about one year, then it started to get charging failures overnight. It didn't just run hot, but actually shut down charging because of the heat, so my car was not charged in the morning. I have all the right spec equipment - Hubbell 14-50R and 6ga wire from my 50A fuse to the Hubbell socket.

Like DerekS, I switch to the Wallbox Pulsar Plus and I have had no problem since.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

My Porsche charger worked great at 100% for a year - then stopped working at 100% one day last year (overheat/red light). That pissed me off. Tried the other day at 100% and car only hit 63% SOC of the set 80% target when I checked in the next morning. :mad:

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
My Porsche charger worked great at 100% for a year - then stopped working at 100% one day last year (overheat/red light). That pissed me off. Tried the other day at 100% and car only hit 63% SOC of the set 80% target when I checked in the next morning. :mad:
The shortest path to feeling happy again is forgetting all about Porsche's overpriced bad EVSEs and get the Wallbox.

Put it in your rearview ASAP is my approach!

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Porsche's narrative is:
[snip]

My Narrative is:
Porsche's mastery of communication and leaning on their long standing engineering excellence reputation has gotten them through this mess - I would venture most of Porsche's customers believe their narrative - I personally find that unfortunate.
Not sure if to laugh, nod in vehement agreement, or get mad at this. Either way, well captured @daveo4EV , indeed "mic drop" time.

mateoosh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S CT, MB C43
Country flag
Guys, is it common in US, that you have only single-phase household power line ?
In EU 3-phase is a standard, so we can get 11kw at 16 amps pretty easy.

BTW, I have a Zencar 3-Phase 11kw EVSE, connected with a dedicated cable to the main breakout-box (did it by myself). It's very stable (no a single problem after 75+ charges), small (size of the original PMCC) and fast (holds 10-11kw almost all the time, no overheating issues or smth)

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Guys, is it common in US, that you have only single-phase household power line ?
Single phase power is the standard in the US.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
Before you throw away your Porsche charger …

I recently got the 'dealer upgrade' on the charger and pretty confusing sticker. The default on my Porsche charging unit has been 20 amps/hr. for several months since it is wifi connected. However, I've found I can adjust the charging rate to 40 amp on the unit very easily. Since I charge manually (rather than plug in every night) the only issue for my setup would be if the plugs/unit got real hot. They don't even get particularly warm. I believe I'm having no problems because guys who installed my NEMA, etc. did a great job and used high quality parts.
Agree I use the Porsche charger with no problems at all at 6 kwatts and 32 Amps.This is plenty to charge the battery to 85 % 90% of the time.One really does not need to charge at 9 Kwatts at home

TaycanPhene

First Name
Antuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
your understanding is mostly wrong - porsche is wrong and they are deflecting blame on the victim - the specs are necessary because Porsche mis-designed their power supply cable to run hotter than you'd drink your coffee - other EVSE's don't get this hot when running the same charging loads - in fact Porsche is the only EVSE in North America that runs this hot - the spec's mitigate Porsche's requirements to accommodate a product that runs 160F surface temperature in normal operation vs. competitive products that don't get much above 105F or even less in identical situations…

yes if you follow Porsche's specification their power supply cable will no longer melt the NEMA 14-50 socket it's plugged into - but it doesn't have to be that way - competitive products do not stress the NEMA socket as much as the porsche product…

following Porsche's specification does not change the fact that their product runs much much hotter than necessary - it simple means that their poor design will no longer induce failures in other aspects of the system - however if properly designed the porsche product would not have induced those failures in the first place.

also keep in mind it is they who released a tech bulletin and software update that basically nerfs their product to 50% of it's specified rate - and while you can override it - the PMCC will default back to the 50% rate after each power cycle…but not the PMC+ - but I believe the PMC+ would also default to 50% if Porsche had the ability to modify it's firmware (which they don't) - so Porsche let's an indecipherable sticker stand in for their lack of a firmware update.

personally I prefer an EVSE that runs cooler than 150F in normal/expected operation, doesn't require an indecipherable sticker, and doesn't achieve an operational surface temperature in normal operation that is considered legally scalding hot if water of the same temperature was allowed to touch a child's skin…

there is no reason Porsche needs their power supply cable to achieve temperatures of 162F in normal operation in 65F ambient conditions…other EVSE's that use appropriate wire gauge run much much cooler decreasing the likely hood of melting the socket they are plugged into…

but yeah the Hubble NEMA 14-50 socket is ceramic vs. plastic so it can handle 160F+ operating temperatures which the Porsche EVSE commonly achieves in less than one hour of normal operation…so it's a great choice if you to pair it with an EVSE that doubles as a space heater/hot-plate.

Temp Measurements Porsche Charger 2.jpg
Dave,
Where did you get that box the mobile charger connect is installed in? I just got my car earlier this week and I only have the charger. It didn' come with that box.

That install looks clean!