OP
Icyfraser

Icyfraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2WD
Country flag
I have another few questions please if you'll indulge me.
Home charger fitted today and connected car up.
Not familiar with profiles so set these up for home charging overnight to 80%....does it look right?
Also what is the 'direct charging ' toggle for? Does it speed matters up ??thanks
Porsche Taycan Charging for a newbie Screenshot_20210427-195558_Connect

Porsche Taycan Charging for a newbie Screenshot_20210427-195542_Connect

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
No this is not correct. The profile you have created will immediately start charging until it reaches 80% whereas I think you want to charge to 80%?

Normally you want to charge between a certain time period (to take advantage of low rate tariffs).

To do this you need a Timer and a Profile. The following will charge to 85% between midnight and 07:00 and repeats daily as needed. The minimum charge is set to 25% meaning that if the car is not at 25% or less it will start charging until 25% is reached and then pause waiting on midnight before charging proper.

Profiles have a minimum charge level and timers have a target charge. Target charge is what you are after to control the max charge at the end of the process.

Profile with minimum charge of 25% between 00:00 and 07:00:

Porsche Taycan Charging for a newbie Screenshot_20210427-205055_Connect

Timer to charge to a target of 85% and stop by 07:00 daily:

Porsche Taycan Charging for a newbie Screenshot_20210427-204946_Connect

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
No this is not correct. The profile you have created will immediately start charging until it reaches 80% whereas I think you want to charge to 80%?

Normally you want to charge between a certain time period (to take advantage of low rate tariffs).

To do this you need a Timer and a Profile. The following will charge to 85% between midnight and 07:00 and repeats daily as needed. The minimum charge is set to 25% meaning that if the car is not at 25% or less it will start charging until 25% is reached and then pause waiting on midnight before charging proper.

Screenshot_20210427-205055_Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20210427-204946_Connect.jpg
Direct Charging simply means override all profiles and timers and start charging immediately until 100% or charging process stopped.

It only is relevant for AC charging and is ignored by DC charging at public chargers given you want to charge and go.

DC Chargers are Direct Current (as opposed to Alternating Current AC) and not Direct Charge - don't confuse DC and D C.

OP
OP
Icyfraser

Icyfraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2WD
Country flag
Brill....as always , very clear and helpful W1NGE. Thanks v much...I'll now reset my app!!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Brill....as always , very clear and helpful W1NGE. Thanks v much...I'll now reset my app!!
No problem. You can also do the same from My Porsche on a tablet or PC. More info displayed etc.

You can fiddle the parameters to suit your needs such as setting pre-heat / pre-cool for the climate control...so lots more fun to experiment with.

Kryptos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Profiles have a minimum charge level and timers have a target charge. Target charge is what you are after to control the max charge at the end of the process.

Profile with minimum charge of 25% between 00:00 and 07:00:

Screenshot_20210427-205055_Connect.jpg

Timer to charge to a target of 85% and stop by 07:00 daily:

Screenshot_20210427-204946_Connect.jpg
As a new owner trying to sort through the charging profile issue, this is very helpful. One clarifying question though: in the scenario above, if you set a target charge level of 85% and a 7am departure time; if you don't check the car until 8am or later, will it have stopped at 85%? The primary function of the timer is obviously getting the car to a certain charge at a certain time, but it sounds like it can also be used as the equivalent of a "maximum charge level" setting? I can't understand why the general charge profile doesn't just have a max charge option alongside the minimum charge so you could avoid the timer altogether. Thanks!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Have a look at this video. I wish we could have this video as a sticky for all new owners of Taycans. An excellent description that works.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As a new owner trying to sort through the charging profile issue, this is very helpful. One clarifying question though: in the scenario above, if you set a target charge level of 85% and a 7am departure time; if you don't check the car until 8am or later, will it have stopped at 85%? The primary function of the timer is obviously getting the car to a certain charge at a certain time, but it sounds like it can also be used as the equivalent of a "maximum charge level" setting? I can't understand why the general charge profile doesn't just have a max charge option alongside the minimum charge so you could avoid the timer altogether. Thanks!
Yes, the charging process will have stopped at 07:00 as this is controlled by the departure time set. Chances are that the charging will complete long before (7.4kW power) depending on what SOC (State of Charge) you started at. Typically I charge daily around 60% mark and so to reach 85% doesn’t take too long.

OP
OP
Icyfraser

Icyfraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2WD
Country flag
Guys and ladies...does this look right? I apparently have a 7kw charger at home but the charge time to 100% from 32%-100% looks like it's 16 hours?! (Screenshot taken at 2140 hours)

Porsche Taycan Charging for a newbie Screenshot_20210501-165811_Gallery

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
Yes, that’s what you’d expect, I think. If you click on the 0.2. mi/min it changes to kW so you can check what you are getting.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yep show the kW as it will be easier to judge.

You should get 7.4kW and I suspect it will charge in less than 16 hours.

However, don't charge to 100% unless you really need to. 85% should be more than enough for daily use and nightly top ups. For the times you need 100% start with an SOC of 60% or higher. The last 15% takes longer to get from 85% to 100% as the charging process slows down to protect the battery.

OP
OP
Icyfraser

Icyfraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2WD
Country flag
Thanks. However I thought the calculation was (size of battery x KwH speed)/100 gives the time to go from 0-100%?
In my case I have the performance battery plus which is 93kwh. Therefore should be
93 x 7/100= 6.51 hours?
However.....i think I've got that wrong ?‍♂

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Thanks. However I thought the calculation was (size of battery x KwH speed)/100 gives the time to go from 0-100%?
In my case I have the performance battery plus which is 93kwh. Therefore should be
93 x 7/100= 6.51 hours?
Not quite. If you can do 7 in an hour and you need to charge a 93 battery, it would be 93/7 = 13.3 hours. Very unlikely that you will have have to do the full 93 as some is reserve and you aren’t likely to be at 0 ever.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
93 x 7/100= 6.51 hours?
You have less than 93kW usable - work on 88kW.as the rest is protected.
Sponsored