Charging patterns

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
I currently charge my car up to the recommended 85% daily. My daily driving typically consumes about 25% of battery on weekdays. Curious what is better for the longevity of the battery, charging daily or let it go down to 30-35% before charging.
Sponsored

Cooler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
I have pretty much same situation, so waiting for replys. I only charge until 80% as i think it is the new recomendation.

Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Recommended is 80%.
I was charging 100%, when i knew that i’ll need more than 20% during or in the next day.
After retirement, i charge up to 80%.

edit: check also @Dee interesting comments regarding SoH, related to charging “strategy”.

Last edited:

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I currently charge my car up to the recommended 85% daily. My daily driving typically consumes about 25% of battery on weekdays. Curious what is better for the longevity of the battery, charging daily or let it go down to 30-35% before charging.
I charge the same way you do.

There had been plenty of discussion on here about it previously.

I think this post by member @Squiden who works with satellite batteries, is the most knowledgeable and researched I have come across and is what I use as 'Gospel'.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/charging-best-practices.7081/page-3#post-101651

OP
OP

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
Recommended is 80%.
I was charging 100%, when i knew that i’ll need more than 20% during or in the next day.
After retirement, i charge up to 80%.

edit: check also @Dee interesting comments regarding SoH, related to charging “strategy”.
I checked on my porsche app again and when creating timer it says "To ensure long battery life, a charge target of 85% is recommended". So I just left the target at 85%.

OP
OP

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I checked on my porsche app again and when creating timer it says "To ensure long battery life, a charge target of 85% is recommended". So I just left the target at 85%.
That’s old/previous recommendation, it’s 80 for more than a year.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
That’s old/previous recommendation, it’s 80 for more than a year.
I think most on here still go to 85% though from the initial recommendation (I do).
Especially if home charging - which is far better for the battery anyway than fast charging.

As the battery has a 10% reserve already, so 85% is only actually 76%.
👍

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thanks for the pointer to the other thread, this is really useful info
I often refer people back to it.
👍
I wish it could be pinned, but hopefully others can at least point people to it in the future when the (inevitable) posts come round from new owners.

I am really greatful that @Squiden wrote it initially. Helped me see through all the 'noise' from someone with in-depth, first hand experience in the field.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I think most on here still go to 85% though from the initial recommendation (I do).
Especially if home charging - which is far better for the battery anyway than fast charging.

As the battery has a 10% reserve already, so 85% is only actually 76%.
👍
It was not my intention to argue…just wanted to point to the latest numbers.
Otherwise, i was charging at work between 90-95, since i needed 10% to come back home.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
It was not my intention to argue…just wanted to point to the latest numbers.
Otherwise, i was charging at work between 90-95, since i needed 10% to come back home.
I know it wasn't a disagreement 👍

I was charging to 80% initially, but then went to 85% after reading posts on here.

Reactions: B61

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I know it wasn't a disagreement 👍

I was charging to 80% initially, but then went to 85% after reading posts on here.
This is what the manual now says in MyPorsche app. Guess even Porscha have trouble to agree on the recommended chrging level???
Porsche Taycan Charging patterns CE685D47-A986-4291-9D52-1F80F968D628

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
** Edit - Not certain this is correct (number of cycles) - please read further down to see an example warranty description **

The battery warranty is based on 100,000 charging cycles where a charging cycle is defined as 0% - 100%.

Most charging regardless of frequency we do are typically top ups and so wear and tear is not the same.

Depending on what Porsche material you read both 80% and 85% levels are mentioned as the regular charge level to aim for.

Of more concern is the amount of regular ultra fast DC charging (150kW - 350kW) performed. General advice is to use 50kW for frequent DC charging and to use throttling on higher capacity EVSEs (option in PCM) to limit the charging power to < 200kW ,(from memory). Deterioration caused by heat generated during charging is limited as a result.

Daily home / public AC charging to ~ 85% is perfectly fine if you plan to use it or simply charge for what you expect to use in a week.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The battery warranty is based on 100,000 charging cycles where a charging cycle is defined as 0% - 100%.
Is that really correct? Never heard that figure mentioned for charging cycles. 100k miles perhaps but not that. Do you have any reference for that 100 k cycles??

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Is that really correct? Never heard that figure mentioned for charging cycles. 100k miles perhaps but not that. Do you have any reference for that 100 k cycles??
Apologies and I think you are correct - miles and not cycles (0% - 100% charging = a full cycle) - I’ll do more digging as I picked that metric from some early research 2 years or so ago but could have got it muddled but will keep searching.

Current Porsche NA warranty suggests something different now - https://files.porsche.com/filestore...5056bbdc38/2021-US-Taycan-Warranty-Manual.pdf

High-Voltage Battery Coverage The Porsche Taycan high-voltage battery is covered against defects in materials or workmanship for a period of 8 years/80,000 miles and against excessive loss of capacity, as defined below. Excessive Loss of Capacity If a capacity measurement performed at a Porsche authorized dealer shows, at the times specified below, that net battery capacity is less than the percentages specified below (the “Warranted Value”), any percentage that falls below the relevant Warranted Value constitutes “excessive loss of capacity”: • 100% of net battery capacity on the date the car is first delivered to the first retail purchaser or the date it is first used as a demonstrator, lease, or company car, whichever comes first. • 80% of net battery capacity within the first 3 years/37,500 miles, whichever occurs first. • 70% of net battery capacity within the first 8 years/80,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Porsche Taycan Charging patterns D8FDF538-E5CC-4EFC-9387-17F886F65C0D
Sponsored