Charging question (UK)

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Hi all. I think I know the answer to this one, but looking at Zap-Map there are quite a few charge points with type 2 43kW and CCS 50kW. If I plug into the CCS then I should get 50kW. If I plug into the type 2, is that AC charging? So I would only get 11kW (or 22kW if having the 22kW charger for an extra £1100)? Are there any cars out there that can do 43kW AC charging? Would it really cost more for Porsche to just put a higher rated AC charger in the car?
Sponsored

RNPricky

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E Tron 55 but waiting for Taycan 4CT
Country flag
Hi Midlifecrisis,
I think you may find that the 43kW Type 2 charging cable that appears on the same charger unit as a Chademo connection is not compatible with a Taycan.
I don’t have my Taycan 4CT yet, so have not tried this particular vehicle, but my current Audi E Tron (a ‘close relative’ battery wise) will only draw a trickle charge from one of these.
I called the charger tech support when this happened and they said the E Tron was not compatible and I think it is because as you suspect, it is an A/C and the car is limited to 7.3, 11 or 22 kW depending on spec.
I seem to recall my E Tron only managed 3.6kW, despite it having a 7.6kW on board charger.
Maybe other Members can shed more light on this issue?
Cheers.