Charging service cost

tylerdurden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
So I know IONITY is 30p per kW.

How does one find out the charges at non-ionity units?

I saw this on the app. I'm interpreting this to mean there are per minute charges for using any other charger on top of the price per kw.
Porsche Taycan Charging service cost IMG_2058
Sponsored

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
How does one find out the charges at non-ionity units?

I saw this on the app. I'm interpreting this to mean there are per minute charges for using any other charger on top of the price per kw.
That as is the pricing rate for the UK right there. As you noted Ionity pricing is at the bottom and is devoid of per minute charges.

Charging at all other networks/CPO's (covered within the PCS partnerships) outside of Ionity will incur a variable per minute rate. This applies whether it's AC or DC charging and includes charging at Porsche Centres too.

If you want to re-check the price at a particular charge point, then within the app when you have the map open and displaying the various charge points, tap on the icon of the charge point and it will display all the relevant information for that location, including the price. All those prices include VAT by the way.

Of course you are at liberty to use any other CPO card or contactless card/ApplePay Google Pay etc to pay for your charging, outside of PCS scheme, if you feel that's more advantageous.

OP
OP

tylerdurden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Thanks... the penny is dropping with me

So GRIDSERVE is a 350kw charger.

if I put 40kw in over 30min then normal card payment = 0.69x40kw = £27.60
If I use the Porsche card = 31p per kw = £12.40 and 30min at 44p = £13.2 = total £25.6

So actually there's not a lot in it.

psychologically per minute pricing would stress me out

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

If I use the Porsche card = 31p per kw = £12.40 and 30min at 44p = £13.2 = total £25.6

No worriers it's all new, happy days. We've all been there variously.

Note that Gridserve is Gridserve 😁 - they tend to do their own thing - so you wont find them partnered with / on the Porsche Charging Scheme...or very many other aggregators for that matter.

Novemberwhisky

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST Crayon.
Country flag

Just checking your sums - if Gridserve is 350KW and you charge at the Taycan max of 270KW you’d achieve 40 KW in approx 9 mins. Theoretically.

OP
OP

tylerdurden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
noted but 270kw is optimistic. Reckon most stops to a high speed charger when below 20% charge are about 25-30min.

for it it makes the point that while ionity is king, another high speed charger (non-ionity) will cost more but probably not much more than paying a commercial rate.

A slow charger however is a total no no

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
noted but 270kw is optimistic. Reckon most stops to a high speed charger when below 20% charge are about 25-30min.

for it it makes the point that while ionity is king, another high speed charger (non-ionity) will cost more but probably not much more than paying a commercial rate.

A slow charger however is a total no no
Budget on a 25-30 minute stop in a warmed battery Taycan outside of the dead of winter. Any more and the car is at too high SoC, cold or you're being a greedy bugger and trying to go to 100% 🙄😂 or the charger is just pants.

OP
OP

tylerdurden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I was at ionity a few d ago. Charged from 10% to 90%. Needed a bit extra for the forward leg

What shocked me was there were several drivers happily wasting time charging to 100%. One fella was at 80% when I started and by the time I’d finished he was disconnecting. Just don’t get it.

What’s the mentality? Either they just don’t know? Or they get joy from annoying other folk? What gives?

Ronglos

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Chevy Bolt, 2022 Taycan
Country flag
Just like you they needed the extra charge. Did you approach them to question why.

OP
OP

tylerdurden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
lol: yeah but to waste 15 min to go from 90-100% seems odd.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I was at ionity a few d ago. Charged from 10% to 90%. Needed a bit extra for the forward leg

What shocked me was there were several drivers happily wasting time charging to 100%. One fella was at 80% when I started and by the time I’d finished he was disconnecting. Just don’t get it.

What’s the mentality? Either they just don’t know? Or they get joy from annoying other folk? What gives?
Incredibly common. Most don't need the range, but feel the need to get to 100% - maybe they think it's like filling an ICEV and it needs to be brimmed.

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
Incredibly common. Most don't need the range, but feel the need to get to 100% - maybe they think it's like filling an ICEV and it needs to be brimmed.
Yes,- this is a significant issue in the UK especially at Ionity. Drivers are not educated about the charge curve and the time penalty for going 90-100 … and then they say that they don’t want an EV because it takes an hour to charge! A pity Ionity don’t do what Tesla does, and nudge the driver to stop at 80% when the chargers are busy.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
A pity Ionity don’t do what Tesla does, and nudge the driver to stop at 80% when the chargers are busy.
To be fair to Ionity (and others) only Tesla do that at SuCs with Tesla vehicles. Pull up to one in a Taycan (or anything else) and you won’t / can’t get the nudge.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag

Don't get me started on this, or ask me to tell you about the time I was having a chat with someone at an Ionity and they said they chose Ionity because it was the quickest, completely oblivious to the fact that the charging speed also depends on the ability of the car to take it.

On the one hand I blame dealers for not educating people...but then nobody educated me. I did my own research.

OP
OP

tylerdurden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
got a Porsche charging service invoice.
INONITY charging is 25p per kw but then 20% VAT is added.
SO I thought VAT on energy was not the same as normal VAT?
Sponsored