Clanking brake pedal when released

Simond

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911 992 Turbo S, BMW X5M + others.
Country flag
Hi,

Anyone else with this?....

Maybe once in three brake pedal releases there’s a definite clank sound from the brake pedal. It’s as though a part that should normally be returned to a start position by a spring becomes stuck, then clanks home. Probably not that at all But that’s the only way I can describe it.

It’s a Taycan Turbo S and now being looked at by a less than convinced there’s a problem OPC.

I’d be interested to know if anyone else has this issue.

Thanks,

Simon
Sponsored

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
I think it might be a normal as I have/had it - I am not sure if I have now tuned it out, or its still there - will check today. Its a 3D printed polymer based brake pedal BTW :)

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I just
I think it might be a normal as I have/had it - I am not sure if I have now tuned it out, or its still there - will check today. Its a 3D printed polymer based brake pedal BTW :)
So I just checked and no discernible noise or clunking sound. There could be so many reasons though, wear, temperature. You can hear a noise but it sounds more hydraulic than mechanical - I think it’s all good...

OP
OP

Simond

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok thanks. No this noise is very obvious. There’s a usual pedal sound but there shouldn’t be a noise like banging an empty bean tin.

cheers, Simon

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Could you have the HOLD function activated and not realize it? When setting off from HOLD, the brakes will automatically release with some noise.
From the manual:
Information
When the HOLD function is active, the driver may feel a difference in the brake pedal, and hydraulic noises may be heard.

This behavior is typical of the system. There is no fault.

When the HOLD function is active, the light indicator
Porsche Taycan Clanking brake pedal when released 1615035400660
on the instrument cluster comes on.

OP
OP

Simond

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Dan,

Thank you. No it's not the HOLD function. This is general driving around town without actually stopping. The sort of normal gentle braking one does. Quiet for a few releases (or as normal a noise to be expected) then the occasional clank. The clank can happen when either the pedal is released slowly or quickly.

The car's with the OPC in Swiondon and is having its 9 hour (that's what they said) software upgrade. I've asked them to look at the clank & also a passenger side rattle.

I'm not a particularly fussy person, I don't think, but being an engineer I don't like stuff when it does things it shouldn't or without explanation.

Thanks for your help so far. If it ever gets resolved I'll share the outcome.

Thanks,

Simon

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Hi Dan,

Thank you. No it's not the HOLD function. This is general driving around town without actually stopping. The sort of normal gentle braking one does. Quiet for a few releases (or as normal a noise to be expected) then the occasional clank. The clank can happen when either the pedal is released slowly or quickly.

The car's with the OPC in Swiondon and is having its 9 hour (that's what they said) software upgrade. I've asked them to look at the clank & also a passenger side rattle.

I'm not a particularly fussy person, I don't think, but being an engineer I don't like stuff when it does things it shouldn't or without explanation.

Thanks for your help so far. If it ever gets resolved I'll share the outcome.

Thanks,

Simon

Unexpected intermittent clanks in operating a safety-critical system like brakes is probably worthy of some fussiness.

Xsquid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S Diesel, Taycan 4s+, 996 C2 Coupe
Country flag
Unexpected intermittent clanks in operating a safety-critical system like brakes is probably worthy of some fussiness.
I have a 4s and mine will sometimes make a clunk when I lift off the brake. I have read somewhere that it can occur while the brakes are bedding in before regen becomes fully engaged as a braking source which apparently will start at around 500miles. I have only driven 420m!
I will see what happens then. To be honest it does not bother me too much at the moment but maybe I am subconsciously hoping it will go away at 500m.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a 4s and mine will sometimes make a clunk when I lift off the brake. I have read somewhere that it can occur while the brakes are bedding in before regen becomes fully engaged as a braking source which apparently will start at around 500miles. I have only driven 420m!
I will see what happens then. To be honest it does not bother me too much at the moment but maybe I am subconsciously hoping it will go away at 500m.
Makes sense as I had a noise which is no longer noticeable and could also be related to when regen fully kicked in.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
Hi,

Anyone else with this?....

Maybe once in three brake pedal releases there’s a definite clank sound from the brake pedal. It’s as though a part that should normally be returned to a start position by a spring becomes stuck, then clanks home. Probably not that at all But that’s the only way I can describe it.

It’s a Taycan Turbo S and now being looked at by a less than convinced there’s a problem OPC.

I’d be interested to know if anyone else has this issue.

Thanks,

Simon
I noticed that with mine this week. Didn’t pay enough attention so will have to try again next drive. It’s not brakes bedding in as it’s done nearly 5k now and I’ve not noticed this sound before.

Definitely sounds & feels like It’s the pedal returning back to normal position that causes the noise. Not very loud but it’s a clunking sound.

I know exactly what you mean by the spring comment, it does sound like that.

OP
OP

Simond

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks all.

Taycan’s back from the porsche centre after its firmware upgrade.

Clank from brake pedal had gone but now after a 2 week gap it’s back.

Brake pedal releases:- Clank nothing nothing clank nothing clank. Ie random.

Porsche centre say there’s no issue so I’m on my own, or with you guys.

Thanks,

Simon

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Resurrecting an old thread as I recently began to suffer this odd brake pedal issue. As described above, like a spring is catching on something.

It is very minor but quite annoying driving around in stop / start traffic when the pedal makes a *click* noise every time it is released.

My car was in for the WMA5 last week and I asked them to look at it. The technician has told me that I am not the only car that has reported this, Porsche is aware of the issue and there is currently no fix.

Hoping that all my fellow clicky pedal forum members report to their dealers and see if we can get Porsche to fix this!

OP
OP

Simond

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Resurrecting an old thread as I recently began to suffer this odd brake pedal issue. As described above, like a spring is catching on something.

It is very minor but quite annoying driving around in stop / start traffic when the pedal makes a *click* noise every time it is released.

My car was in for the WMA5 last week and I asked them to look at it. The technician has told me that I am not the only car that has reported this, Porsche is aware of the issue and there is currently no fix.

Hoping that all my fellow clicky pedal forum members report to their dealers and see if we can get Porsche to fix this!

Sorry to hear this but united we stand so to speak. Same random brake pedal clank issue remains with mine, no cure & my dealer isn’t interested saying Porsche say there is no issue or some such guff. Regular deletion of my ‘favourites’ radio stations is another, saying there’s no cure & they’re clearly not going to do anything about that either. Salesman says that he really doesn’t understand why it does that. So that’s it then.

daveb3473

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Thanks all.

Taycan’s back from the porsche centre after its firmware upgrade.

Clank from brake pedal had gone but now after a 2 week gap it’s back.

Brake pedal releases:- Clank nothing nothing clank nothing clank. Ie random.

Porsche centre say there’s no issue so I’m on my own, or with you guys.

Thanks,

Simon
Sponsored