bushmg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan, 2017 911 Endurance Racing Edition,
Country flag
Well, it has finally happened. The Communications Module in my MY2020 4S has apparently fried, and shortly after the WMA5 and WMA7 software updates. Symptoms were no Bluetooth (to connect phones), no LTE (for Apple Music or Google maps), intermittent XM, and GPS putting me in wrong location.

The Service Manager called me today saying that that module had to come from Germany, and there were NONE available in the USA, thus no ETA on the replacement. Really? Is this because of the global chip shortage, perhaps?

Anyove else with a similar tale of woe?
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Chip shortage is definitely possible. Cars (including mine) are being held up for it. I’m also seeing delays in other products in my industry from it as well.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My Gateway module needed to be replaced and it took over a week to get the part (just came in today) and I think Porsche’s stocks are running low. My dealer told me they were seeing longer lead times for other parts so I don’t think Porsche is at all immune to the impact on them and their suppliers due to the chip shortage.

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well. It looks like my PCM has literally just failed also. I’ve got no data/Bluetooth/phone connections. Deleted profiles even rebooted both the phone and the PCM but still nothing. It does need to go to the dealer for the software upgrade so will get this done at the Same time. I assume this is a known fault? Will the dealer order the goods ahead of my car going in?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Well, it has finally happened. The Communications Module in my MY2020 4S has apparently fried, and shortly after the WMA5 and WMA7 software updates. Symptoms were no Bluetooth (to connect phones), no LTE (for Apple Music or Google maps), intermittent XM, and GPS putting me in wrong location.

The Service Manager called me today saying that that module had to come from Germany, and there were NONE available in the USA, thus no ETA on the replacement. Really? Is this because of the global chip shortage, perhaps?

Anyove else with a similar tale of woe?
If it's a chip shortage then time for Porsche to reach out to other manufacturers and 'borrow' some where possible.

Toyota (for example) I read recently, have 2 years worth of chips in store for such scenarios (predicated on the Fukushima and other earthquake disasters) acknowledging that JIT is not ideal for all aspects of the supply chain.

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If it's a chip shortage then time for Porsche to reach out to other manufacturers and 'borrow' some where possible.

Toyota (for example) I read recently, have 2 years worth of chips in store for such scenarios (predicated on the Fukushima and other earthquake disasters) acknowledging that JIT is not ideal for all aspects of the supply chain.
I work in this exact industry. The shortage issues are a complete mare for every manufacturer. I’ve first hand knowledge of this. Every company I know is having problems finding stock for production builds. This isn’t going away either, I believe it’s about to get considerably worse.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I work in this exact industry. The shortage issues are a complete mare for every manufacturer. I’ve first hand knowledge of this. Every company I know is having problems finding stock for production builds. This isn’t going away either, I believe it’s about to get considerably worse.
2 years to recover potentially - not ideal and hopefully the industries will take heed and change as a result.
Sponsored