senwar

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 CT4
Country flag
Had my CT4 since November. I have a standard driveway in the UK, tarmac and its double width. House is 12 years old, driveway never relaid

The car is causing the tarmac to sink at both front wheels. I noticed this initially on the drivers side as i have to park it just slightly over a manhole cover (bad design of driveway!) but have now noticed a drop on the passenger side too.

Has anyone else had this happen? My last car was a Velar which wasn't hugely lighter - but this is beginning to worry me.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Not my CT but my Van.
2.5 tonnes. Sinking the paved driveway.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Function of all of the rain over the last 6 months maybe?

OP
OP
senwar

senwar

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 CT4
Country flag
Function of all of the rain over the last 6 months maybe?
We've had a lot worse previously where I live - grim weather here a lot! but could be a combination

Tarmac is too thin!
Just seems odd it hasn't happened with other vehicles just as heavy

Can you not just patch tarmac over?
Would be too visible to be honest.

Contemplating having it redone (tarmac or resin) but just need to understand why this has happened

MarkR

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
Hi Paul. I can't imagine why the CT4 would cause this more than any other vehicle of a similar weight. Thinking that many ICE vehicles have quite some weight at the front of the vehicle, whereas the Taycan is likely to have a good weight distribution with the weight predominantly in the middle of the car, so it does seem odd that this is only happening at the front. I have a block paving and had an X5 45e previously which was about 300kilos heavier than the CT4 and not had any issues with any sinking of the paving (as you know i have had my car for a similar time to you). I would hazard a guess that this is more related to the driveway than the vehicle. Sorry to hear of you problem though. I hope it doesn't impact your enjoyment of the car.

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
Our (gravel) driveway is fine where we park. But our driveway ends up at a badly maintained pavement and deep gully, and it scrapes front, middle and sometimes back on the way in and out. We have had some driveway contractors around — what a rogue industry, almost as bad as scaffolders — one recommends increasing the slope of ther drive, the other recommends reducing it!

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
The proximity to manhole suggests the possibility of subsidence due to ground instability around whatever the manhole covers and any connecting channels, perhaps leaking or just groundwater action?

wilho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster 986, X5, iX1
Country flag
Hi Paul. I can't imagine why the CT4 would cause this more than any other vehicle of a similar weight. Thinking that many ICE vehicles have quite some weight at the front of the vehicle, whereas the Taycan is likely to have a good weight distribution with the weight predominantly in the middle of the car, so it does seem odd that this is only happening at the front. I have a block paving and had an X5 45e previously which was about 300kilos heavier than the CT4 and not had any issues with any sinking of the paving (as you know i have had my car for a similar time to you). I would hazard a guess that this is more related to the driveway than the vehicle. Sorry to hear of you problem though. I hope it doesn't impact your enjoyment of the car.
Hi, this is off-topic, but asking still

How do you compare your CT4 to your previous 45e? I'm now having 45e here in north Finland where we have pretty tough winters (this winter down to -34C)

Pro's and con's from switching from bimmer to CT4 would be highly appreciated? I'd probably go with the new facelifted ST GTS whenever it becomes available

BR, Ville

OP
OP
senwar

senwar

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 CT4
Country flag
Thanks - that was my own thought re: the weight of my Velar, although just checking, Taycan is about 180kg more so not as heavy as the X5 you mention. I'll check the rear too but haven't notices this.

Thanks for the replies all - I'll get this checked out then. Its the passenger side that got me the most - I sort of get the driver side. Don't have another option where to park either really as need it in that spot for charging. I have been parking slightly further back on none charging days though.

MarkR

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
Hi, this is off-topic, but asking still

How do you compare your CT4 to your previous 45e? I'm now having 45e here in north Finland where we have pretty tough winters (this winter down to -34C)

Pro's and con's from switching from bimmer to CT4 would be highly appreciated? I'd probably go with the new facelifted ST GTS whenever it becomes available

BR, Ville
Hi Ville, the main difference for me are

1. that the X5 had a lot more space, although not struggled yet with the CT.
2. The spec on the X5 included much more than I have on my CT and so I had to add a few items onto my CT. My X5 was an MSport for reference.
The range was also much higher, but again this has not caused me much of a challenge yet.
3. I miss the opening sunroof (and the ambient lighting in the roof, which was a great feature- which is a personal thing i know).
4. I liked the folding tailgate of the X5, it was great for when in holidays when we could sit and change shoes when going walking etc.
5. I also enjoyed the driving position.
6. The software was pretty solid on the X5, but it did have its problems too (I had to take it back when it was delivered for some quality issues, but they were fixed quickly).
However, I don't miss the need to fill it up with fuel and I know my CT is more cost effective per mile (about 10p/mile vs nearly 20p/mile). I also like the driving dynamics of the CT, and still look back every time I walk away. Also, I don't miss the fact I had to stand on a step to wash it- the roof is pretty high, and I am not the tallest....
In summary, both are great cars in their own right. I would consider another X5 if the cost was equivalent, the next time I change my car, but I really like the fact I am all electric now, so might err on the side of staying on this side of the fence.

CroquetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Had my CT4 since November. I have a standard driveway in the UK, tarmac and its double width. House is 12 years old, driveway never relaid

The car is causing the tarmac to sink at both front wheels. I noticed this initially on the drivers side as i have to park it just slightly over a manhole cover (bad design of driveway!) but have now noticed a drop on the passenger side too.

Has anyone else had this happen? My last car was a Velar which wasn't hugely lighter - but this is beginning to worry me.

Any ideas?
Strictly speaking, it'll be macadam (made with bitumen) not tarmac (made with tar). Usage of tar was phased out 40 years ago due to being carcinogenic. Normal machine-laid asphalt correctly specified, mixed and laid should not deform as you describe unless the vehicle is stationary for a very long time. If, however, the driveway was hand-laid, contractors sometimes asked for the material to be 'cut-back' by the addition of lighter oils, the resultant material being easier to spread but less resistant to deformation. Another cause could be insufficient compaction at the time of laying. If your driveway has developed 'crazed cracking' that indicates sub-base failure. Whatever is the actual cause, sorry to say, your driveway is sub-standard. Maybe you have some form of warranty? Alternatives are expensive, eg, full-depth reconstruction (asphalt/ready-mix-concrete/ precast comcrete blocks. All need an adequate foundation depth & compaction.

OP
OP
senwar

senwar

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 CT4
Country flag
Strictly speaking, it'll be macadam (made with bitumen) not tarmac (made with tar). Usage of tar was phased out 40 years ago due to being carcinogenic. Normal machine-laid asphalt correctly specified, mixed and laid should not deform as you describe unless the vehicle is stationary for a very long time. If, however, the driveway was hand-laid, contractors sometimes asked for the material to be 'cut-back' by the addition of lighter oils, the resultant material being easier to spread but less resistant to deformation. Another cause could be insufficient compaction at the time of laying. If your driveway has developed 'crazed cracking' that indicates sub-base failure. Whatever is the actual cause, sorry to say, your driveway is sub-standard. Maybe you have some form of warranty? Alternatives are expensive, eg, full-depth reconstruction (asphalt/ready-mix-concrete/ precast comcrete blocks. All need an adequate foundation depth & compaction.
Eeeek.... great. 🙁

wilho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster 986, X5, iX1
Country flag
Hi Ville, the main difference for me are

1. that the X5 had a lot more space, although not struggled yet with the CT.
2. The spec on the X5 included much more than I have on my CT and so I had to add a few items onto my CT. My X5 was an MSport for reference.
Thanks a lot. I have relatively well specced X5, but actually one reason to consider Taycan is that I cannot anymore spec new BMWs with the features I really like, including laser lights, night vision etc.

Road noise is slightly higher with Taycan, at least this is my perception. Innodrive and active lane control work work much better on BMW, but I hope the facelift has this improved
Sponsored