CT4S in Frozen Blue with Bordeaux Red Leather??? Is this too bright/am I too old!!!

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I'll add my $.02 and say I love Bordeaux Red and chose it as a match for my Dolomite Silver exterior. As has been mentioned, It also looks good with other more neutral colors; the greys, black and whites.

As far as some of the other colors are concerned, including frozen blue, I don't think it's necessarily a matter of too much bling, as it is that some interior and exterior combinations just don't look natural together even though they may be attractive separately. I know some people like unusual color combinations but there's a reason one rarely sees them.

Anyway, just my staid opinion. FB and BR wouldn't be my choice, but if they float your boat, go for it.
Sponsored

psglas

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Audi RS4, Defender 90
Country flag
I just sold my taycan back to the dealer while I wait for my CT. He said Frozen Blue knocks about £1k off the resell value. Mambo green, berry etc. are the same. Maybe just a tactic to knock down the price but worth noting.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi Guys,

I been agonising with the configurator for weeks, but now seem to keep coming back to the spec below

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNLDT5X1

Question; As a 54 year old businessman in UK is this colour combination too bright/bling and does it scream Mid Life Crisis? Really conflicted here as its all too easy to pick a black or grey!

Your thoughts?

Taycan.JPG
Oh no (sorry)! Frozen blue looks better on the CT than the saloon and in the picture but in real life not a crowd pleaser if worried about resale. Pay your money and take your choice when all said and done.

Brave choices but each to their own.

BTW - you are missing 150kW 400V DC booster on your build - these are currently being rolled out in UK so worth including.

Others - 360 panoramic cameras (more or less essential), black brushed aluminium tread plates (£0), some others but I don't want to blow your budget.

Beardo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BluTack 4S CT
Country flag
W1nge, who/what is rolling out 400v chargers? Everything I’ve read says the 150kw charger option is completely redundant?

OP, theres a car here in the FB thread that’s frozen blue + red. I like it!

Porsche Taycan CT4S in Frozen Blue with Bordeaux Red Leather??? Is this too bright/am I too old!!! 1626726698045

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Not my colours! There is a frozen blue 4S that I see sometimes - really don’t like it. And not a fan of red interiors. But colours are so personal - go with what you like as it brightens up the roads to have a mix! Pale colours show up the dead insects more in the summer than dark ones so I would probably avoid because of this as I like in the countryside.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
W1nge, who/what is rolling out 400v chargers? Everything I’ve read says the 150kw charger option is completely redundant?

1626726698045.jpeg
It looks ok in that picture but different when you see it

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

1626726698045.jpeg
BP, Shell, Porsche, others. It absolutely isn't redundant and nonsense to think otherwise. Given the small cost it's a no brainer.

Download ZapMap and search for 150 kW chargers - there are many.

Porsche Taycan CT4S in Frozen Blue with Bordeaux Red Leather??? Is this too bright/am I too old!!! Screenshot_20210720-070752

Beardo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BluTack 4S CT
Country flag
I'm not sure a FB car does look dull in real life. This is one I took at the dealership (in the rain..) and on my phone and laptop it looks exactly how I remember it. Thats next to an ice grey which was very dull in comparison I thought.

Porsche Taycan CT4S in Frozen Blue with Bordeaux Red Leather??? Is this too bright/am I too old!!! IMG_0392

2nd thing on the ZapMap stuff, everything I've seen has said even those 150kw chargers are 960V? Are you saying every 150Kw charger is 400v? Looking back I've seen your posts are very definite on this, do you have some hard proof?

I don't mind the £250 or whatever it is, but it's a piss take from Porsche having to pay for this option so I'd rather not.

Last edited:
OP
OP

E2 JBR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 T8
Country flag
I'm not sure a FB car does look dull in real life. This is one I took at the dealership (in the rain..) and on my phone and laptop it looks exactly how I remember it. Thats next to an ice grey which was very dull in comparison I thought.

IMG_0392.jpeg

2nd thing on the ZapMap stuff, everything I've seen has said even those 150kw chargers are 960V? Are you saying every 150Kw charger is 400v?
Interesting to see it in 'UK' light (wet and overcast!) Thank you. Does this one have a Black/grey interior?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

IMG_0392.jpeg

2nd thing on the ZapMap stuff, everything I've seen has said even those 150kw chargers are 960V? Are you saying every 150Kw charger is 400v? Looking back I've seen your posts are very definite on this, do you have some hard proof?

I don't mind the £250 or whatever it is, but it's a piss take from Porsche having to pay for this option so I'd rather not.
All 150kW chargers are 400V
All 350kW chargers are 800V

960V - where on earth did you read or learn that as it is complete nonsense?

To take advantage of the 150kW charger network you must add the 150kW 400V DC Booster as an option at build time otherwise you are limited to 50kW 400V DC charging (all 50kW chargers in UK are 400V) as this is standard on the Taycan. 50kW is fine for most purposes but obviously you will charge much quicker at a 150kW than a 50kW.

You will always have the native 350kW 800V DC charging capability of the Taycan but these types of chargers are currently thin on the ground around UK - Ionity and a few others.

Your own dealer will have recently installed new chargers (tall units, not the ones in the photo) which are for customer use - these are 150kW - ask you dealer - you can use your Taycan Charge Card to use these units.

The biggest rip off is the 22kW AC charger if you want to make that comparison.

Ice Grey is 'white' and not worth the premium but some folk like it.

Frozen Blue is not a popular choice along with Frozen Berry in UK market. If you like the colour then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks but just be mindful of resale if that is a concern.

Beardo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BluTack 4S CT
Country flag
It's from here : https://www.drivingelectric.com/com...itable-dont-make-charging-essentials-one-them

Not sure if its propagated from this site but its been repeated elsewhere.

"Yet there’s another twist in this tale. It turns out that, in fact, because legislation means that all the 150kW chargers in the UK have super-modern 960V, they'll charge the Taycan at the full 150kW even if you haven’t added the optional DC on-board charging system. Or at least, according to research that Porsche has done, it will at some 95% or more."

Where is the 400v for all 150Kw chargers come from, are you in the industry?

Beardo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BluTack 4S CT
Country flag
Interesting to see it in 'UK' light (wet and overcast!) Thank you. Does this one have a Black/grey interior?
It had a black interior I think - its at the Nottingham OPC. There were two FB cars at Goodwood the other weekend, one had the racetec interior which was nice too.

Here's some more pics

Porsche Taycan CT4S in Frozen Blue with Bordeaux Red Leather??? Is this too bright/am I too old!!! IMG_0390
Porsche Taycan CT4S in Frozen Blue with Bordeaux Red Leather??? Is this too bright/am I too old!!! IMG_0389
Porsche Taycan CT4S in Frozen Blue with Bordeaux Red Leather??? Is this too bright/am I too old!!! IMG_0388
Porsche Taycan CT4S in Frozen Blue with Bordeaux Red Leather??? Is this too bright/am I too old!!! IMG_0385

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It's from here : https://www.drivingelectric.com/com...itable-dont-make-charging-essentials-one-them

Not sure if its propagated from this site but its been repeated elsewhere.

"Yet there’s another twist in this tale. It turns out that, in fact, because legislation means that all the 150kW chargers in the UK have super-modern 960V, they'll charge the Taycan at the full 150kW even if you haven’t added the optional DC on-board charging system. Or at least, according to research that Porsche has done, it will at some 95% or more."

Where is the 400v for all 150Kw chargers come from, are you in the industry?
Ok I see now.

100kW - 150kW chargers have been around for a while and were / are rated at 400V - so a legacy exists and will prevail for some time.

BP (others) are now rolling out 800V 150kW DC chargers and prior to this I had read that it would be 400V - my mistake.

CCS2 (the connector) standard supports up to 960V - hence why we have 800V 350kW DC options. The Taycan's battery is 800V and therefore requires no booster to charge the battery at the optimum rate.

The Taycan 150kW 400V DC booster is there to step up (boost) the voltage from 400V (if that's the source rating) to 800V so that the battery can charge (remember 800V are required). No conversion takes place.

In theory, if the charger had a dedicated 960V supply (CCS2 standard) then the Taycan would charge at 800V to its maximum of 270kW (maximum possible). Typically, these can be found at Ionity stations and are currently thin on UK soil.

Keep in mind also that the charging network is not there for Taycan owners only (sadly) and so the more widely adopted 400V charging architecture has been adopted by most car manufacturers. As things move on more will be built on 800V (keeps things cooler temp wise) and so the charging infrastructure will evolve too.

Worthwhile checking at a suitable 150kW charging point what the voltage rating is. If 800V then you're in luck but if not you'll be there a while longer (3 times) without the booster.

As an aside, in Ireland, the 150kW chargers are mostly 400V (newly rolled out) and only the Ionity chargers 800V - so if you were to travel there you would be limited without the booster installed.

In summary, 'all' is an incorrect assertion on my part and expect a mixture of 400V and 800V 150kW chargers across the British Isles and Europe. Next challenge is to know which ones are 800V...or spend the dosh, add the booster and remove the guesswork.

I'm at my dealer's tomorrow who have the new 150kW chargers installed - interested to see what voltage they are (I'd hope 800V otherwise they'd be excluding some of their customers).
Sponsored