Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
Looked at Porsche dash cam and really not impressed with size and quality as have Thinkware Q800 fitted on other cars which is excellent

Can't seem to get answer if we get non-Porsche dash fitted will it effect warranty or cause any electrical issues and Porsche will blame dash cam anybody had same thoughts
Sponsored

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
Was thinking exactly the same thing. I have a BlackVue and would be happy to move it but concerned it might drain battery even though I have a separate backup battery for the camera.

i do like the fitcamx profile that I saw @tigerbalm had installed. Maybe he can clarify more?

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 MK 2 MR2 GT T-Bar, 2002 Volvo S80
Country flag
I have 0 doubt if you hardwire a dashcam and have a subsequent electrical issue, Porsche will blame the camera :mad:

Its crazy in this day and age, that more manufacturers don’t replicate Tesla’s sentry system.

I personally won’t be without a dashcam, whatever car I drive.

mb3195

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
There is a plug under the steering wheel to the right hand side (same place a normal bonnet lever would be placed) that dashcams can be plugged into, I had an installer fit mine, it’s perfect and isn’t then hardwired into the car. You can’t see the cable either. Not sure what type of plug you need to fit it though as not seen one like this before.

Ive got a black view front and rear cam installed, both on the same plug socket.

OP
OP

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
That sound a good idea did you have additional battery for dash cam to reduce drain on 12 v

Do you have picture of plug as my car is due in Jan and maybe I could forward it to my installer to see if he can find one

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There is a plug under the steering wheel to the right hand side (same place a normal bonnet lever would be placed) that dashcams can be plugged into, I had an installer fit mine, it’s perfect and isn’t then hardwired into the car. You can’t see the cable either. Not sure what type of plug you need to fit it though as not seen one like this before.

Ive got a black view front and rear cam installed, both on the same plug socket.
The problem with this is you won't get parking mode recording. Can you confirm the BlackVue goes off completely when you "shut the car off"?

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Was thinking exactly the same thing. I have a BlackVue and would be happy to move it but concerned it might drain battery even though I have a separate backup battery for the camera.

i do like the fitcamx profile that I saw @tigerbalm had installed. Maybe he can clarify more?
I installed the Fitcamx. It just installs into the rain sensors existing socket. I had a similar cam installed in my 2017 Model X for 4 years that also plugged into the rain sensor (my car didn't have sentry mode). When the 12v battery died on that car after 3 years (which is a common issue), Tesla replaced the battery without issue.

The Fitcamx can be uninstalled any time, but it would just be a major pain to re-install it again. Took me 3 hours as explained in another thread. But the best part is that it looks completely OEM and you don't need to take your car apart to hide wires. Also, the camera does not take power when your car is off/parked because the rain sensor is off.

If dash cams were a warranty issue, then wouldn't that mean nobody could install any dash cam? Even having an exposed wire plugging into the cigarette lighter style socket in the arm rest would drain the 12v.

mb3195

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
That sound a good idea did you have additional battery for dash cam to reduce drain on 12 v

Do you have picture of plug as my car is due in Jan and maybe I could forward it to my installer to see if he can find one
My car is back at Porsche getting a new rear windscreen, I’ll post a picture once I get it back.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It stays on ??
Thanks for that, but I wonder if it goes into parking mode. In order for it to switch between continuous recording, and parking mode we need to connect the camera to a constant power source, and an ignition only power source. But, sounds like the outlet you mentioned is a single source. Anyway, when I get mine, I can hook a meter up to it and see. Thanks again for confirming.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If it stays on when the vehicle is off, it's effectively hardwired then right?
No, if it stays on, but still in continuous recording (driving) mode, it could be worse than having it go off because it's erasing your oldest driving videos with videos of the back wall of your garage or wherever you've parked. Sometimes you need to go back to your driving videos a few days later, and those would have gotten wiped out much sooner if your camera only record over them when you're actually driving. You should get some audible confirmation that it's going to parking mode once you've turned off the car.

mb3195

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
No, if it stays on, but still in continuous recording (driving) mode, it could be worse than having it go off because it's erasing your oldest driving videos with videos of the back wall of your garage or wherever you've parked. Sometimes you need to go back to your driving videos a few days later, and those would have gotten wiped out much sooner if your camera only record over them when you're actually driving. You should get some audible confirmation that it's going to parking mode once you've turned off the car.
Yeah it goes into parking mode when the car is stationary for a period of time, BUT the camera does remain on in a sort of standby mode, only triggering when the car gets some form of movement, be it from a bump, etc.

R88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S (sold)
Country flag
I was more asking because if it's staying on, in whatever mode, when the vehicle is off - it could be draining the vehicle's battery right? Which means if there was a 12v issue (as has happened in the past) Porsche could blame you.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
The fitcamx has a parking mode which keeps the camera on during parking. I don't use that mode and see no drain with the car being parked up for days at a time without being used.

I haven't used the parking mode so can't comment on how sophisticated or smart it is in terms of triggering only when it sees movement.
Sponsored