Dash Cam: Avoid the Porsche?

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
If your OPC ignores the official install instructions and places the camera up near your rear-view mirror then the install can be considered "neat enough".

But the official instructions has them placing the camera ridiculously far down on the windscreen – making for a very intrusive and prominent install. I don't know what the thinking there is.
My front camera is not visible from the driver’s seat.
Sponsored

Gra13

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo 4s
Country flag
I have fitted the Garmin Mini 2. It fits behind the mirror so completely invisible, wīring easily fits around the trim and under carpet to centre consul. I did want it hard wired but Halfords can’t fit to EVs , it does mean you lose the parking surveillance but the cam works perfect turning on and off with car. App works fine and you can view from your phone although downloads are slow it you want to save a clip. It will save on the memory card if you request. For £100 it’s a bargain.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
That looks a super elegant installation!
It is. In the case of the front camera you would have to be looking for it to notice any difference from the OEM mirror housing. And it functions well.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I must be the only person who didn't like the FitcamX - I tried it, all it did was blink 4 times and did nothing else. I was spooked and resorted to the OEM cam so I could have a warranty supported solution.

It is...ok. The GPS hasn't worked in a very long time, so I turned it off. I thought it was the treated windshield blocking the signal (and it still might be) but it did work at first so...no idea. Anyway it is what it is, I don't think much about it any more.

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I must be the only person who didn't like the FitcamX - I tried it, all it did was blink 4 times and did nothing else. I was spooked and resorted to the OEM cam so I could have a warranty supported solution.

It is...ok. The GPS hasn't worked in a very long time, so I turned it off. I thought it was the treated windshield blocking the signal (and it still might be) but it did work at first so...no idea. Anyway it is what it is, I don't think much about it any more.
What size card did you use? Most cams do not like cards larger than supported capacity…

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
The Porsche dashcam is a rebranded Audi product called the Audi UTR. The software is rubbish and very basic.

Basically it’s way over-priced for what it is just because it has a Porsche badge on it. You can buy a better camera with 4K and cellular networking capability from companies like BlackVue for similar money.

The Porsche dashcam is a substandard ripoff that people are paying for because they view it as an OEM product when it really isn’t. Infact the same company who manufacture it also manufacture the BMW Car Eye dashcam which uses the same underlying software.

File downloads are a faff. There’s no PC app so you need to remove the SD card and use something like VLC viewer to watch files. For the money it’s absolute dog-shit and if it wasn’t a Porsche branded product NO-ONE would buy the thing.
Love your analysis! It's always nice to encounter another Taycan owner with their filter removed. :)

vroomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, MB GLS 550
Country flag
One question I have not seen answered on any of the threads:

Has anyone had the experience of their dealer denying a warranty issue due to a hardwired aftermarket dashcam?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It is. In the case of the front camera you would have to be looking for it to notice any difference from the OEM mirror housing. And it functions well.
I have never had a dashcam on a car.
I hadn’t thought about getting any I have seen but could cope with this.
Now I need to decide if I want one after 55 years driving and never feeling the need…

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
One question I have not seen answered on any of the threads:

Has anyone had the experience of their dealer denying a warranty issue due to a hardwired aftermarket dashcam?
I can’t see how that would hold up unless they could prove the dashcam caused whatever fault they were refusing to rectify.

That said, it’s two fuse taps. It’s a five minute job to un-hardwire a 3rd party dashcam. The same is not true for the Porsche one which is permanently wired to the connector on the rear of the fuse block (if it’s the same as the Audi install).

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
I have never had a dashcam on a car.
I hadn’t thought about getting any I have seen but could cope with this.
Now I need to decide if I want one after 55 years driving and never feeling the need…
There is no need at all to have one. Until the unexpected happens and you really wish you had a witness or a dash cam. I've never needed it on past cars and hope to never need it for as long as I continue to drive, but for a couple of bucks it's there just in case.
Sponsored