PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Thanks for the nice post on installing the dashcam!

But did you read the above post #26? There is some concern about the flat discharge profile of the 12v LiFePo. (That's why i used a separate battery although it is admittedly a hassle and does not last long enough )
Sorry, I did not see post #26, but now that makes sense to why you added the battery for your install. How long does that battery last?

I installed mine a year ago and it works as I described and so far no issue with 12v. I am not sure if there is aw way to see when a 12v drop caused it to power down. I might have to dig into that to see. However, I would imagine with time, the batteries age could cause the issue described.
Sponsored

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My experience of these things is that they are setup for 12V lead acid chemistry by default which has a very different discharge profile to the LiFePO 12v battery that’s in your Taycan.

LiFePo has an almost flat discharge profile, then suddenly drops off a cliff edge as the battery BMS disconnects it to protect from over discharge. So you could find that your camera discharges your 12V battery actually way more than what you think and puts you at risk of an unexpected 12v shutdown.
@800v pointed out your post #26 regarding the LiFePO batteries.

My Blackvue is set to Power off if the low voltage hits 12.0/12.5v (you can adjust these in the app). So would that discharge "dropping off a cliff" were to happen, would something else in the car have to continue draining after my Blackvue shut off correct? I am sure the car uses some of the battery for the remote connection, key fob etc. Would those cause it to fail?

Just trying to understand and see if I should re-think my set up.

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
@PDACPA : I think your setup should be ok -- in particular since the 12v battery will keep recharging from the high-voltage battery even when the car is "off" (with the latest updates). But then, I am not an expert and who knows. For me, that is why I opted for the separate batteries just for peace of mind (but it may be totally not needed).

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I know that I am asking a super pedestrian question here, but I haven't installed my dash cam yet because I am unsure of how to remove the a-pillar covers. Anybody know of any videos or clear, simple instructions? I have the plastic interior tools, but just don't want to break anything.

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I know that I am asking a super pedestrian question here, but I haven't installed my dash cam yet because I am unsure of how to remove the a-pillar covers. Anybody know of any videos or clear, simple instructions? I have the plastic interior tools, but just don't want to break anything.
I have a thread here with pretty detailed photos at the end of my install where I just _dont_ remove the a-pillar covers and only push with my hands and plastic tools. Maybe it helps :)

(btw, if you want GPS reception my thread does the camera wrong, see here how to install a 900x to have the GPS signal)

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a thread here with pretty detailed photos at the end of my install where I just _dont_ remove the a-pillar covers and only push with my hands and plastic tools. Maybe it helps :)

(btw, if you want GPS reception my thread does the camera wrong, see here how to install a 900x to have the GPS signal)
I did the same as @800v and followed a similar process.

Here is a link to my post on the fuse box note just for reference. https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/dash-cams.816/page-7#post-98833

OP
OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
@Gnasher do you by any chance have picture of where rear cam is positioned ?
sorry for delay

here you go..

incidentally, checked the backup battery and it’s down to 24% as I’ve not driven in a week nearly. There is a lot of motion recording when parked though so it is still active.

no change to the range on car.

Porsche Taycan Dashcam install F5F0B349-5566-414D-89F8-99F3D4893893

PetroK

First Name
Petro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX, Porsche Taycan 4CT
Country flag
sorry for delay

here you go..

incidentally, checked the backup battery and it’s down to 24% as I’ve not driven in a week nearly. There is a lot of motion recording when parked though so it is still active.

F5F0B349-5566-414D-89F8-99F3D4893893.jpeg
Thanks , I was thinking to buy a bit lower, but if it works all the way up, it is good to know

OP
OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Here is the view from the back window with that camera position. Mine is a CT.

guess most important thing is to get widest angle.Also watch out for reflection.

Porsche Taycan Dashcam install C54AE386-9AE1-427A-B286-8085F6153729

Andy S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan; Volvo XC40
Country flag
sorry for delay

here you go..

F5F0B349-5566-414D-89F8-99F3D4893893.jpeg
So..... Are you saying that you Blackvue external Battery Pack has actually kept the cameras going whilst parked for a number of days?

Asking as I have a 900X set ready to install in my car (as and when it eventually gets built and turns up) but I'm currently 'sat on the fence' as to whether its worth getting the external battery or just installing the cameras in a non parking mode configuration that simply shuts down when car not being driven.

OP
OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
So..... Are you saying that you Blackvue external Battery Pack has actually kept the cameras going whilst parked for a number of days?

Asking as I have a 900X set ready to install in my car (as and when it eventually gets built and turns up) but I'm currently 'sat on the fence' as to whether its worth getting the external battery or just installing the cameras in a non parking mode configuration that simply shuts down when car not being driven.
No, I’m saying that the dashcams have taken power from the backup battery rather than from the car battery.

I don’t think it’s essential as others dont have this and the 900X has power management so you don‘t need it. I added for peace of mind and to protect the battery on advise of Blackvue specifically for EVs.
Sponsored