Stewartt997

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST4S
Country flag
Can anyone advise if the additional Blackvue battery pack is actually required to power the D900x cameras if the vehicle is parked for 24-48 hours, or can it draw power solely from the Taycan battery?

OP
OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Can anyone advise if the additional Blackvue battery pack is actually required to power the D900x cameras if the vehicle is parked for 24-48 hours, or can it draw power solely from the Taycan battery?
Yes you need the battery if you want to record while parked otherwise camera has no power from the fuse box (or cig lighter if you use that) when engine is off.

Also, do you really want your car battery to be used when parked and lower your range ?

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
No, you don’t need a battery pack for parking mode with the DR900X when you connect to the fuse box. It also has built in power management to detect voltage drop below certain value and shuts down itself.

OP
OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
No, you don’t need a battery pack for parking mode with the DR900X when you connect to the fuse box. It also has built in power management to detect voltage drop below certain value and shuts down itself.
you do need a battery pack though if you want to record when parked though.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you do need a battery pack though if you want to record when parked though.
You do not. The fuse box will provide continuous power to the dashcam.

OP
OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
You do not. The fuse box will provide continuous power to the dashcam.
My point is that this will impact your range, personally i don’t drive daily and don’t have in home charging so i would rather not have the dashcam impact the range :)

It was an extra £200 for the pack so well worth it (given spend on the car!)

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My point is that this will impact your range, personally i don’t drive daily and don’t have in home charging so i would rather not have the dashcam impact the range :)

It was an extra £200 for the pack so well worth it (given spend on the car!)
I am not sure if that makes sense. Your battery pack still needs to be charged by the car battery, which will affect range (minimal) when you start driving? Or are you taking out the battery pack and charging it at home to conserve the car battery? But then you would have no battery pack for the dashcam for parking.

OP
OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I am not sure if that makes sense. Your battery pack still needs to be charged by the car battery, which will affect range (minimal) when you start driving? Or are you taking out the battery pack and charging it at home to conserve the car battery? But then you would have no battery pack for the dashcam for parking.
For me it makes sense because the battery only charges when driving the car. So when i park up i know the range will be the same as when i start it the next time i use it.

I spoke to Blackvue and some independent installers aswell as someone who had the same installed and it made sense for me and was better for an EV.

The battery pack has it’s own app so you can tell its charge condition etc.

Each to their own but i just want the range to be the same as when i left it.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
It also has built in power management to detect voltage drop below certain value and shuts down itself.
My experience of these things is that they are setup for 12V lead acid chemistry by default which has a very different discharge profile to the LiFePO 12v battery that’s in your Taycan.

LiFePo has an almost flat discharge profile, then suddenly drops off a cliff edge as the battery BMS disconnects it to protect from over discharge. So you could find that your camera discharges your 12V battery actually way more than what you think and puts you at risk of an unexpected 12v shutdown.

OP
OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
My experience of these things is that they are setup for 12V lead acid chemistry by default which has a very different discharge profile to the LiFePO 12v battery that’s in your Taycan.

LiFePo has an almost flat discharge profile, then suddenly drops off a cliff edge as the battery BMS disconnects it to protect from over discharge. So you could find that your camera discharges your 12V battery actually way more than what you think and puts you at risk of an unexpected 12v shutdown.
Thats something on the lines of what Blackvue said and why they suggested it had it’s own power supply.

Ultimately, £200 external battery vs non warranty repair on £115k Car!

PetroK

First Name
Petro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX, Porsche Taycan 4CT
Country flag
@Gnasher do you by any chance have picture of where rear cam is positioned ?

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Yes you need the battery if you want to record while parked otherwise camera has no power from the fuse box (or cig lighter if you use that) when engine is off.

Also, do you really want your car battery to be used when parked and lower your range ?
You do not need the battery if you have the 900X. I can view my camera anytime the car is off. My Blackvue 900X 2Ch is hardwired to the fuse box in the passenger footwell.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/dash-cams.816/page-7#post-98833

When the car is off the Blackvue switches to "parking mode" and continues to run. You do not need a battery pack with the 900x as the Blackvue monitors the power and lets you set limits in the app that you want it to power off if your 12v was to drop below a certain level. Prior models used a power magic add on device to monitor the 12v when the car was off.

Ran my rear wire along the bottom of the passenger doors.

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You do not need the battery if you have the 900X. I can view my camera anytime the car is off. My Blackvue 900X 2Ch is hardwired to the fuse box in the passenger footwell.
Thanks for the nice post on installing the dashcam!

But did you read the above post #26? There is some concern about the flat discharge profile of the 12v LiFePo. (That's why i used a separate battery although it is admittedly a hassle and does not last long enough )
Sponsored