Dear Porsche... (Homelink vs Backup Camera)

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Dear Porsche,

I'ld like to be able to use Homelink without having to close the backup camera screen. You see, I need to open the Garage door to back up out of my garage, and I'ld like to be able to also use the Backup Camera without having to go back and forth closing one to access the other. Its all seems so unnecessary and "thoughtless". It might seem trivial, but I have to do this every day, sometimes more than once and it really doesn't have to be this way...

I understand that people who only have ONE garage door in their Homelink Profile can do this via assignment of Homelink to one of the two "User Defined Buttons". It seems like an unnecessary waste of a perfectly good user button, but I would do this if it worked for me. Unfortunately, I have THREE garage doors assigned to my homelink profile. Apparently you had the foresight to automatically "fire" a HomelInk button if only one was in the profile, but not if more than one. If I press my UDB, it does open the Homelink screen, but it is UNDER the backup camera screen which I then need to close. Then after I make my door selection, I must manually re-open the backup camera if I want to use it. This all seems so unecessary. I don't have to do this on my Tesla cause the homelink and backup functions are not in contention. Backing a car out of a garage doesn't seem to be too deep a level of user testing. Didn't anyone test this?

Would it help if I insist this is a safety problem? Its so much easier NOT to manually re-open the backup camera after I close my garage door. Would it help if some child gets run over because it was easier NOT to open the backup camera? There is a reason why all new cars now require backup cameras. Shouldn't they be functional?

I would like to suggest that you provide a firmware update to fix this. While I would like a better solution (like a homelink menu which doesn't contend with a backup camera at all), I'll provide an easier work-around for you to implement.

Simply let us assign a User Defined Button to a specific "door" in a Homelink profile - not the entire Homelink function itself. For those with only one door button, this seems to work. But for those with more than one, it doesn't...

I'll be happy to manage the contention of backup vs homelink screens (if needed) if I can simply get "blind" access to that ONE door button I use most often.

PLEASE?

Ed
Sponsored

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
+1 on this. I also have 2 garage doors and I had to delete one of them to be to to use the diamond button.

May I ask what is the most efficient way you have found to submit a ticket loke this to Porsche? I have tries via Porsche USA customer service and via the dealer. Both felt like hopeless attempts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
+1 on this. I also have 2 garage doors and I had to delete one of them to be to to use the diamond button.

May I ask what is the most efficient way you have found to submit a ticket loke this to Porsche? I have tries via Porsche USA customer service and via the dealer. Both felt hopeless attempts.
Yup, and when I tried to do that as well, I found out there is no way to delete a single garage door button assignment from your homelink profile without completely deleting your entire Porsche Profile and starting over. ...with EVERYTHING! Did you find some way to delete a single button?

I have submitted every single one of my "Dear Porsche" issues via a support ticket (and many more). I guess I'm curious about what you mean by "Most Efficient".

If you mean "Most Efficient" with the perspective of Porsche actually solving anything, then: No, I have not found any mechanism which is the least effective in any way whatsoever...

If you mean "Most Efficient" in getting someone to write "something" down and supposedly file it in response to your request, then you can call "Customer Roadside Assistance" and work your way to Tech Support.

I'm thoroughly committed (and likely should be "committed") to identifying each and every one of the issues which are most important to me. Other folks can carry the torch for other issues. There is no shortage...

However, I also try to provide a simple and effective way Porsche could mitigate each issue I have identified. (As it appears that Porsche is not capable of doing this on their own...) If it is the case that Porsche is not WILLING to fix these things, then we have a whole different problem on our hands...

Curiously enough, Porsche knows I am a "problem child". They have called my dealer in what I am sure is direction to "manage their customer". I've had direct conversation with my sales guy about this (although he understandably won't admit he was notified to "manage me"). It should be said that my Sales Guy and the Dealership have all been great and I have absolutely no issue with them. These issues are simply things well beyond their reach...

So, Porsche, at some level, knows about many, many, issues. It seems, however, that they are simply more focused on throwing free coffee, key chains, and car washes "at the problem" then actually taking the time to actually address them. Porsche clearly see's the customer (Me) as the problem, not the problem itself.

...and this is one problem that's not going away until the other problems are resolved!

I think Porsche is Listening! They are simply not getting much (if anything) done. We have a terrible, crippling, "12V Battery failure problem" that's not yet been resolved! ...and Porsche seems clueless in even diagnosing the issue!

Every single Taycan owner should be calling them about the issues which each thinks is most important. Please don't NOT call them cause you think they already "know" about something. They need to hear from each one of us - over and over if necessary - to understand how widespread (and recognized) these individual issues are.

If you are "lucky", like me, you might even get Porsche to call your dealer to try and get them to "buy you off" with some swag! (Don't do it!)

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yup, and when I tried to do that as well, I found out there is no way to delete a single garage door button assignment from your homelink profile without completely deleting your entire Porsche Profile and starting over. ...with EVERYTHING! Did you find some way to delete a single button?
I had to read the manual to find how to delete an assigned homelink. You can swipe the door line to the left (or right) and that brings up a delete button to the line. That is another example of inconsistent UI design. You would expect to have the delete option where the edit button is.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had to read the manual to find how to delete an assigned homelink. You can swipe the door line to the left (or right) and that brings up a delete button to the line. That is another example of inconsistent UI design. You would expect to have the delete option where the edit button is.
Really? Thanks!

RTFM? Say it ain't so!

I'll sacrifice some of the functionality of my car if that is what it takes to get other functionality in its place. Its a shame I won't be able to open those other two doors from my car until they provide a proper fix...

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
My Etron has the Homelink buttons on the bottom screen. Maybe Porsche can add it to the bottom screen as well, next to the parking camera button.

Taycan Screen, circled parking camera button:
Porsche Taycan Dear Porsche... (Homelink vs Backup Camera) Image 1-11-21 at 10.00 AM

Audi E-tron Screen, circled homelink button:
Porsche Taycan Dear Porsche... (Homelink vs Backup Camera) Image 1-11-21 at 10.02 AM

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I have this issue as well, but I relented by only assigning my door to the Homelink and storing a small garage door opener in the car that has buttons for all of my doors in the rare event that I need to open the other doors.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have this issue as well, but I relented by only assigning my door to the Homelink and storing a small garage door opener in the car that has buttons for all of my doors in the rare event that I need to open the other doors.
Ugh!

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Yes. It works, though, and avoids the pain of waiting/hoping that this gets addressed in a future update. I would rather see a list of other things get addressed first myself, and I am (perhaps foolishly) hoping that Porsche will prioritize things similarly.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. It works, though, and avoids the pain of waiting/hoping that this gets addressed in a future update. I would rather see a list of other things get addressed first myself, and I am (perhaps foolishly) hoping that Porsche will prioritize things similarly.
...as @chrisk informed me, you actually CAN delete all but one of the homelink assignments without wiping out your entire car profile.

I can now open my Garage Door without closing the Backup Camera (thanks @chrisk!). Unfortunately, I also can no longer open any of the other doors of my garage with my car. A sad compromise at best...

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cab
Country flag
This is what I do since I use 1 door way more often than the other doors.

Slatibartfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.2 GT3
Country flag
Also, why the hell does the homelink window which pops up using geo location (which I like) hang around even once you have used it and driven off? You have to manually close the window which obscures everything behind it otherwise it will remain on screen for your entire journey! Which idiot designed that and didn't consider it should close automatically once you have left the location.

I have a Tesla that automatically opens the garage as you approach it and works everytime flawlessly without getting in the way of the general car use.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
This is how you delete paired phones from the Device Manager, too, and it's kinda crazy - you have to swipe the "cell" and not the "line" (and if you hold too long it won't work).

Bad, easily fixed if they find the "time".

Arami55

First Name
Aram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Dear Porsche,

I'ld like to be able to use Homelink without having to close the backup camera screen. You see, I need to open the Garage door to back up out of my garage, and I'ld like to be able to also use the Backup Camera without having to go back and forth closing one to access the other. Its all seems so unnecessary and "thoughtless". It might seem trivial, but I have to do this every day, sometimes more than once and it really doesn't have to be this way...

I understand that people who only have ONE garage door in their Homelink Profile can do this via assignment of Homelink to one of the two "User Defined Buttons". It seems like an unnecessary waste of a perfectly good user button, but I would do this if it worked for me. Unfortunately, I have THREE garage doors assigned to my homelink profile. Apparently you had the foresight to automatically "fire" a HomelInk button if only one was in the profile, but not if more than one. If I press my UDB, it does open the Homelink screen, but it is UNDER the backup camera screen which I then need to close. Then after I make my door selection, I must manually re-open the backup camera if I want to use it. This all seems so unecessary. I don't have to do this on my Tesla cause the homelink and backup functions are not in contention. Backing a car out of a garage doesn't seem to be too deep a level of user testing. Didn't anyone test this?

Would it help if I insist this is a safety problem? Its so much easier NOT to manually re-open the backup camera after I close my garage door. Would it help if some child gets run over because it was easier NOT to open the backup camera? There is a reason why all new cars now require backup cameras. Shouldn't they be functional?

I would like to suggest that you provide a firmware update to fix this. While I would like a better solution (like a homelink menu which doesn't contend with a backup camera at all), I'll provide an easier work-around for you to implement.

Simply let us assign a User Defined Button to a specific "door" in a Homelink profile - not the entire Homelink function itself. For those with only one door button, this seems to work. But for those with more than one, it doesn't...

I'll be happy to manage the contention of backup vs homelink screens (if needed) if I can simply get "blind" access to that ONE door button I use most often.

PLEASE?

Ed
Thank you for this Ed. This is one of the worst features of the PCM. I literally backed into a parked car while trying to close my garage door as the cameras and sensors are shut off when Homelink is active. Will cost me over $1000 to repair the damage!!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Dear Porsche,

PLEASE?

Ed
This is STILL your problem?
What have you done to notify Porsche about your problem?
It's nice that you show us your problem once more and hope Porsche maybe reading it but I think it's better to contact Porsche directly.
I think more people could have this issue but discussing this on a forum ain't gonna solve it...
Sponsored

Last edited: