First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Dave:

I certainly will. I will have a complete comparison once I get back to Denver this weekend. The trip out from Denver to Tucson was broken into two parts, Denver to Socorro, NM and Socorro to Tucson, AZ. From Denver to Socorro it was super cold, so I put the bike in trunk. From Socorro to Tucson I put the bike on the roof. I have a 4s, 20 inch wheels, Pirelli snow tires, and it was 5 degrees when I left Denver the other day. It was 30 degrees when I left Socorro and 70 when I got to Tucson.

IMG_0626.jpg

Drive from Denver to Socorro, NM with just the roof rack on the car.

IMG_0636.jpg

Drive from Socorro, NM to Tucson, AZ. Pretty obvious efficiency hit with the bike on top of the car.

IMG_0631.jpg

Car with the bike on top of it. Was getting ready to leave to the hotel to Tucson. The Best Western hotel in Socorro, NM is the only charging option between Albuquerque and the Deming, NM EA charger. that is a 235 mile distance between them and not possible with a roof rack in cooler temps.

63622232191__9081C52B-C726-439E-9B11-C3D2AC5F178F.jpg

the bike.

IMG_0641.jpg

Tucson and the Oro Velley from Mt. Lemmon.

I am going to remove the bike and the roof rack for the drive back to Denver. This will give us a better comparison on the actual efficiency hit. I will post a separate thread and provide full details.

63622232191__9081C52B-C726-439E-9B11-C3D2AC5F178F.jpg
If you happen to collect data on the efficiency loss with just the roof rack (sans bike) please share it. I’m curious how much of a hit it would be to leave the roof rack up all the time.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
If you happen to collect data on the efficiency loss with just the roof rack (sans bike) please share it. I’m curious how much of a hit it would be to leave the roof rack up all the time.

Andrew:

I am headed back to Denver on Saturday, and will remove the bike and the roof rack for the drive back. I will take pictures of the efficiency to compare. I have had my roof rack on for 5 months and I see the efficiency difference on the highway and highway speeds. I will create a separate thread once I return, so we can all see the extend of the roof rack efficiency penalty with the roof rack on.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is the same guy who broke the US cannonball record from NYC to LA in that same black Taycan a week later and had no issues with charging while driving 3,000 miles. He also admitted that the Taycan they used did not have the most updated software in the vehicle. So, lots of caveats in this video.
I missed that video, but that's reassuring. Thanks for sharing that info.

EA is not perfect, but it is the only road trip charging option we have. Constructive criticism is required for them to improve.
I would hope that EA has a system in place to capture error logs when charging fails. Most people don't bother reporting issues. They just get back in their car and look for the nearest ChargePoint.

But I agree, it's still early and EA just doesn't have the decades of combined experienced that Tesla has. It goes without saying that building out a reliable nationwide charging network is hard.

OP
OP
kort

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
But I agree, it's still early and EA just doesn't have the decades of combined experienced that Tesla has. It goes without saying that building out a reliable nationwide charging network is hard.
while the early model S cars had many flaws that were troubling the supercharger network was working as intended from day 1

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the supercharger network was working as intended from day 1
:CWL: :giggle: - funniest thing I‘ve read all day - having owned a 2013 P85 and attempted to use many many superchargers in those early days…really really funny.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
No offense to you, but this still seems like user failure, and not an EA issue.

I know for a fact that EA looks at Plugshare posts from Taycan owners, and they go the extra mile to provide as much help to Taycan owners as they can. I have had them call me to apologize because I had to move cabinets 3 times to get a charge started.
I do agree one day of bad luck is not a pattern, but I have to disagree here. I have had MANY MANY times where EA has not worked in the mid Atlantic, over many stations, over many times, and with multiple cars. Yes they are very “nice” when you call, yes they even reached out to me immediately with lip service when I reported them on PlugShare. But they have done NOTHING to improve the reliability and service over 1.5 years. They offer free charges, but I don’t care. If the station doesn’t work a free charge is pointless. And now with the Taycan I don’t even need it.

So Kort does have a point about EA, let’s not pretend they are good at what they do.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
yeah charge network reliability is a liability for non-Teslas at this point in time...

I’m hoping it gets better of time, but at the moment I’m concerned that this is one more way in which the existing “big guys” aren’t all in with this whole EV thing…I think they are hoping it will all just go away and we can return to gas cars…
The big guys are in it now, and it will get better. The first ID.4s are on the way and the Mach-E reviews are really good. And then there is the new 800V Hyundai Ioniq 5 which was 7866% oversubscribed in Europe within less than week.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
:CWL: :giggle: - funniest thing I‘ve read all day - having owned a 2013 P85 and attempted to use many many superchargers in those early days…really really funny.
Porsche Taycan EA charging FAIL FAIL FAIL 1614649811066

Plug & charge at it's best: Took us 10 min to scan to QR code, download app, register, pay parking fee upfront...

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Andrew:

I am headed back to Denver on Saturday, and will remove the bike and the roof rack for the drive back. I will take pictures of the efficiency to compare. I have had my roof rack on for 5 months and I see the efficiency difference on the highway and highway speeds. I will create a separate thread once I return, so we can all see the extend of the roof rack efficiency penalty with the roof rack on.
Great, thanks. I was hoping it was the bike itself causing most of the drag and not the rack. It will also give us some estimate of what the efficiency might look like on the cross turismo which comes standard with a roof rack.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I am in the middle of a Denver to Tucson run right now and have really good efficeincy data on the range hit with just the Porsche roof rack bars on the car, and then with a road bike sitting on top of the vehicle. I will then drive back to Denver and put the bike in the car and remove the rack to provide additional data for the comparison. I used to think these kind of detail was good to share...
Yes, please share...

OP
OP
kort

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I don’t know what you are talking about. I drove my Tesla from Nj to fl on day 1 of ownership. I drove that car across the country and never had one charging issue

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yeah that wasn't my experience with the supercharger network…it's taken years to get as good as it currently is.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think that will disagree with any comment I make. Bye bye troll
I’ll let the community judge my contributions - careful your true colors are showing.

you’ve been a member since Feb. 7th - you should hang out a bit and soak up the ambiance - this isn’t a Tesla forum.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think that will disagree with any comment I make. Bye bye troll
@daveo4EV is one of the most knowledgeable, helpful people on this forum and I guarantee he knows a lot more about EVs than you do.

As for your "I drove cross country first day of my Tesla" well I've driven 10k+ miles in my Taycan and charged at EA superchargers dozens of times. I have exactly one experience that I'd consider poor and the car still got charged.

You had bad luck, that sucks, but the charging network is quite functional in many parts of the country. It absolutely needs to be improved but I'd also absolutely go cross country in my Taycan with exactly zero worries. Sure, some stops might take longer and I'd need backup plans but I guarantee I could make it tomorrow without any significant hassles.

Status
Not open for further replies.