Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Just happened to be at a Porsche centre today (ordering a ST GTS) and on getting into my 4S had a warning of “Electrical failure, park the car up“! No drive was possible. So good luck being at a centre. I was advised to lock car and wait 15 minutes, have a coffee and all should be good. Waited the 15 minutes, tried a re-start but to no avail. Still not working. workshop help called (rather than sales) and lo and behold all working! Apparently you need to wait 20 minutes for the system to reset. When the technician checked the fault log, no faults being current, so the system was back to normal.

So it seems glitches can happen and as a safety measure the high voltage drive system is then shut down rather than risk a high energy fault. So if any of you see this fault just lock the car, stand outside in the cold for 20 minutes. or more, and all should be fine. . . . .
Sponsored

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well, it looks fine, but if it was a red warning it will probably come back and eventually it won't be fine. You might need a new big battery.

It is disappointing that the car does not even log the reason of the error message which makes debugging hard for the technician.
I had at least 10 yellow errors, neither logged any codes. The dealer just said the same thing, lock the car for 20 mins and it would be ok.. I am not sure how this is acceptable.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
20 minutes could be a real pain, depending where you are trying to go. Does this sort of thing happen very often? Mine is just being built at the moment, but I can think of situations where 20 minutes could be a real problem. Part of my reason for having a decent car is that I expect it to go when I need it to... and this doesn't fit the bill.

OP
OP
Gwaihir

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Well, it looks fine, but if it was a red warning it will probably come back and eventually it won't be fine. You might need a new big battery.

It is disappointing that the car does not even log the reason of the error message which makes debugging hard for the technician.
I had at least 10 yellow errors, neither logged any codes. The dealer just said the same thing, lock the car for 20 mins and it would be ok.. I am not sure how this is acceptable.
It did log the fault, just not still active.

OP
OP
Gwaihir

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
20 minutes could be a real pain, depending where you are trying to go. Does this sort of thing happen very often? Mine is just being built at the moment, but I can think of situations where 20 minutes could be a real problem. Part of my reason for having a decent car is that I expect it to go when I need it to... and this doesn't fit the bill.
Mine was an early 2020 model and this is the first time I’ve had a warning fault.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It did log the fault, just not still active.
I meant log the reason of the fault not the fact there was a fault. And of course given a log of the root cause the dealer could either perform a repair or corporate Porsche could fix a software bug.
But with the attitude "wait 20 mins and it will be fine" they don't fix the root cause.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Need to get some media coverage on this. “Porsche Taycan randomly makes you wait 20 minutes before it will let you drive it” sounds like a damming enough title that might goad them into action.

RinOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Mine did this recently after I got in the car, it booted up normally, but then I had to get out because I forgot something in the house. I saw this red message showing the electrical failure just as I switched off the power by holding the button as I always do when exiting. I went in the house for a minute and came back out. Car booted normally and I had no problems the rest of the day or since. If I get a new battery out of the deal I’m fine with that. Hopefully I can get plug and charge at the same time. I’ve had troublesome cars before (Prancing Horses and Angry Bulls) so this is nothing new to me. Multiple 930’s in the late eighties cause me a LOT of grief but I loved them too! I love this car as much as I loved them. Maybe a bit more.

OP
OP
Gwaihir

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I meant log the reason of the fault not the fact there was a fault. And of course given a log of the root cause the dealer could either perform a repair or corporate Porsche could fix a software bug.
But with the attitude "wait 20 mins and it will be fine" they don't fix the root cause.
Yes I admit I didn’t think of that at the time. I should have asked if the log showed any detail. That’s for next time if it’s before the GTS arrives?

Last edited:

NM1978

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, Lotus Elise 111R, Audi SQ7, VW Transporter
Country flag
Red fault warning on my brand new CT4S tonight. 120 miles since collecting on Friday.

Tried the 15/20 mins trick several times but nothing. Was also getting 12v battery low warning so maybe connected?

Recovered to home and calling dealer tomorrow am for a fix and a replacement car. Not a great start to Porsche ownership, which is a shame as love the car!

NM1978

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, Lotus Elise 111R, Audi SQ7, VW Transporter
Country flag
Red fault warning on my brand new CT4S tonight. 120 miles since collecting on Friday.

Tried the 15/20 mins trick several times but nothing. Was also getting 12v battery low warning so maybe connected?

Recovered to home and calling dealer tomorrow am for a fix and a replacement car. Not a great start to Porsche ownership, which is a shame as love the car!
Update: 2 days of investigation at Porsche Cambridge and still no diagnosis. Apparently narrowing down to confirm an increasingly likely hardware failure. IF this is the issue the part is on backorder with no current delivery date….. meanwhile they gave me a 2 year old Merc C class rental car as a ’replacement.’ Next activity is contacting Porsche UK.

Terra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many
Country flag
well… after 16,000km got in to go and this popped up.. turned off and plugged in and “charging not possible” after a while error went away and all good.. happened again the next morning and same thing.. left it and went away.. next day again and when it got going drove it straight to the dealership.. it’s now been sitting there for 9 days.. and they are so backlogged it has not even been diagnosed yet.. ??‍♂.. hopefully get in next week But there was mention of replacing the main (big) battery.. other than this.. no prior issues other than the odd PCM glitch..

Porsche Taycan Electrical failure warning 041E9394-5393-43A6-B194-CD728D98786D

AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S, 2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Ugh. I just hope the same people who programmed the Porsche Connect app aren't working on this, or we're screwed.
Sponsored